Any parent, with an interest in books, is encouraged to become involved. Why get involved? If you enjoy books, come and talk with like-minded people!
• Book Covering groups: This is a practical help to the Library and also a great way to meet other parents.
• Book Chats Literature Circles for Parents: These are informal book chats attended by parents and teachers/librarians and are held once a Term. We talk about different books that we have recently read. Special information session is organised to talk about books for boys.
• Family Day: This is run by parent volunteers. Donation of books is collected throughout the year. Families are encouraged to bring a bag of books to donate, browse and purchase.
• Text Book Exchange: This is o major fundraiser. The trading of books operates over four days towards the end of Term 4. It requires the help of many volunteers from the school community.
This is a good way to meet parents from different year levels. In addition, volunteers will have the advantage of early purchase of text books.
• Literary Festival: The biennial weeklong event celebrates the diversity of literacy. The library staff organises a range of activities for our boys such as writing/caricature workshops, talks by keynote speakers, lunch time debating, to name just a few. 'Books, Blokes and Brekky' is a free event offering fathers and sons an opportunity to participate the Festival together.
The Library Auxiliary organises the dinner to help celebrate the closing of the Festival. It is always well attended by parents, friends and staff. An entertaining talk by prominent speakers such as Li Cunxin, Adam Elliot and Jon Faine caps off the evening.
• Literary Luncheon: This is held on the alternate year to the Literature Festival. It features an Australian author as guest speaker.
• Tick the box on the Expression of Interest Form at the back of this booklet to receive Library Auxiliary information by email.• Look in the Torch Newsletter and please RSVP to Library Auxiliary events.• Come to the meetings, book covering mornings and Literature Circles for Parents or become a volunteer.
• Use the Library and Information website www.scotch.vic.edu.au/Library/Library.htm
• Our website: http://library.scotch.vic.edu.au/aboutus/auxiliary.htm
Scotch College: ABN 86 852 826 445 ACN 005 650 395 CRICOS 00624A (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students)