CRICKET: McLeod Club
The Club was established to build the Cricket community at Scotch and to strengthen links between the School cricket program, parents and Old Boys. Our name was derived from the four McLeod brothers: Bob, Charley, Dan and Harry, who all played cricket for the School - with Charley and Dan later playing for Australia at Test level.
Scotch Cricket website: http://www.scotch.vic.edu.au/sport/crick/crick.htm link to 'Bowled Over'
Our focus is twofold;
- to build the Cricket community within the School, this includes all players, their families, School staff and Old boys including those playing for Old Scotch Cricket Club. We particularly welcome the families of new Cricketer’s arriving at the school for the first time.
- to provide support to the Director of Coaching and his team of coaches as they help boys at all levels develop their skills. In season 2010/ 11, the McLeod Club purchased practice equipment for use by all years and levels.
The McLeod Club hosts a number of events throughout the year which build the sense of a Cricket community in the school including:
- A season launch function, to be held this season,at 6pm on Tuesday November 8th, 2011. This event welcomes all Players and their families. It is the official launch of the APS Cricket season for Scotch Cricketer’s. The Guest speaker at the 2010 launch was Greg Chappell, who shared with the Boys his memories of being a young Cricketer. In 2009, James Sutherland talked about the significance of receiving your first Cap, and then to the Boys delight allowed them to hold the “Baggy Green” Australian cap.
- 5 Family BBQ days each to be held at the Main Oval Barbecue area. These welcome all Players and their families playing at any time on that day at Scotch. BBQ’s will be serving from 12.30pm.
- Family BBQ dates are;
- February 18th, 2012,
- February 25th, 2012 and
- March 24th, 2012
- A Welcome BBQ specifically for Year 7 cricketers and their families on February 4th, 2012. This BBQ follows the first selection trials conducted in the Montgomery Practice nets. It is an opportunity for families to meet others, whose boys share a love of Cricket. At this very relaxed lunch, Director of Coaching Ian Frazer, will briefly introduce Parents to the Scotch cricket program an explanation of how your son will develop his full potential as a Cricketer at Scotch.
- The Annual presentation night, which recognizes the performance of Teams and boys from all year levels and grades,
is scheduled for 7 pm on March 27th, 2012 will be held Monday 19 March, 7pm to 9pm in the Geoffrey McComas Theatre.
Throughout each week of the Cricket season all cricketers and members of the Cricket community will receive “Bowled Over” which contains weekly match reports and other cricket information. It is easily viewed in the Scotch Cricket website.
The School conducts a number of tours for selected cricketers on an annual or bi-annual basis including:
- an England tour for a 1st XI development squad for boys in Years 10 and 11 (next tour, June 2012)
- the “Southern Skies Challenge” in Brisbane each year for Year 9/10 cricketers
- a Scots College, Sydney tour for the 1st XI squad (next Sydney tour in January 2012)
- an annual exchange program for three Year 9 boys King Edwards School, Birmingham (UK)
How to get involved
The McLeod Club is the Scotch College cricket community. We are, therefore, particularly keen to hear from parents who would like to provide a point of contact for their “Year Level”. This Role provides a friendly point of communication for others who have Cricketers in your sons Year level.
Any interested parents are welcome to contact any of the committee members listed below:
|President: ||David Armstrong ( Mobile; 0438 359 106)
|Year Group Co-ordinators: ||Year 11; Richard Rosewarne, Hugh Macfarlane,
Year 10 and 8; Karen Byrne -Jones and
Year 9; Craig Douglas
|Teacher-in-charge of Cricket: ||Gary Peckham
|OSCA: ||Tim Shearer
The committee meets monthly (October to March) and bi-monthly (April-September).