Kenneth William ALGIE (’45) was born at Essendon on 22 March 1926 and attended Scotch from 1939 to 1943. Kenneth was 1939 Class Captain of Iva and a member of the 1939 under 14 football team. He served in the RAN from 1944 to 1946 and was demobilised as an ordinary telegraphist. Related to every Algie at Scotch, he was the twin brother of Ronald James Algie (SC 1939-43, died 17 August 1997), the nephew of John Duncan Algie (born 17 August 1899, SC 1915-?; died 9 June 1989) and James Robert Algie (born 4 March 1905, SC 1920, died 3 July 1995), second cousin of Peter (SC 1957-59) and Cameron (SC 1960-61), a first cousin once removed of Roderick Algie (born 18 December 1899, SC 1916-17, died 1 September 1983), Douglas Algie (born 10 June 1908, SC 1924-25, died 11 September 1990) and David McCulloch Algie (born 19 August 1901, SC 1917, died 9 January 1986) and second cousin once removed of Cameron Algie (SC 1996-2002). Kenneth died at Scotchman’s Creek Aged Care Facility, Mount Waverley on 24 July 2011.
David John AUSTIN (’65) was born on 6 August 1948, the son of Old Boy, journalist and chief of staff of The Age Harold Joseph Austin (born 10 January 1913, SC 1919-29, died 4 July 1983). David attended Trinity Grammar School from 1955 to 1959, becoming vice-captain of its preparatory school before attending Scotch from 1960 to 1966. David was a 1966 Prefect and a member of the Scotch Choir. He was 1966 co-editor of Satura, a cadet CUO, a member of the 1966 1st XI, and played in the premiership 1966 1st XVIII. To top off a great year, he won Scotch’s Golf Day. Also at Scotch were his sons Ben (SC 1987-96) and Christopher (SC 1989-2000). David graduated BEc from Monash in 1969 and MAdmin from Monash in 1980. He was managing director of David Austin Marketing. David died on 3 July 2011.
His family adds: David was an avid sportsman who opened the batting for the 1st XI. In his final year David won a Commonwealth scholarship to attend Monash University. David travelled overseas, meeting Laurette Lynch. After extensive travel and adventure, they moved back to Australia in 1974 and married. An accomplished marketer, David forged a highly successful career in sales and marketing at BP, Carlton United Breweries and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation. He later founded and ran Eleusian, a cosmetics and skin care products company with his second wife (Robyn Aylward-Austin, who died on 1 February 2010).
Ronald BAILLIE (’38) was born at Essendon on 29 February 1920 and attended Scotch from 1933 to 1935. He served in the AIF from 1942 to 1945 and was demobilised as a sergeant in the 65 Mobil Search Light Battery RAA. Ronald died on 21 May 2011.
Clement John (Jack) BAKER (’43) was born at Ballarat, the son of a teacher, on 9 October 1926. He attended Scotch from 1937 to 1943. He was a 1938 member of the Junior School Treble Choir and was a 1943 member of the Ninth. Known as Jack, he became an industrial chemist and married Valda Jane O’Neill at Scotch on 31 January 1949. She died on 30 September 2007. Their son Andrew attended Scotch (SC 1957-69). Jack died at home at Doncaster on 25 July 2011.
Howard William BERRY RFD ED (’50) was born at Sydney on 4 August 1932, the son of a business manager. He attended Scotch from 1944 to 1951 as a member of Monash House. Howard (known to some as Buster) was a 1944 Junior School Form Captain. He was a member of the 1947 Swimming team, and the 1951 2nd XI, and from 1948 to 1951 was a member of the 1st XV. Howard was commanding officer of F company cadets in 1951. He graduated LLB from Melbourne University in 1956, becoming a solicitor and partner at Whiting & Byrne and later at Corrs Chambers Westgarth. As a major in the Army Reserve he served in the Vietnam war in April 1970. He served in the Army Reserve from 1951 to 1978. Howard was a member of the Liberal Party state executive and was a member of the RSL War Veterans’ Homes Trust.
Howard married Kaye Hansine Hansen at St John’s Anglican Church, Toorak, on 8 April 1960. Their sons attended Scotch: Rick (SC 1970-79) and Peter (SC 1976-84). Also at Scotch were his uncles Walter Wimble Berry (born 21 December 1882, SC 1895-97, died 19 August 1952) and Edward Northcote Berry (born 28 May 1885, SC 1895-98, died 23 July 1963) and his cousin Nelson Northcote Berry (born 22 September 1913, SC 1921-27, died 27 March 1996). Howard died at Lynden Aged Care, Camberwell, on 1 August 2011.
Ian Campbell BEVAN (’45) was born on 7 April 1928 and attended Scotch from 1940 to 1943 as a member of Monash House. He was a cadet at Scotch. Also at Scotch were his brother Charles (SC 1940-42), nephews Anthony (SC 1966-71) and Andrew (SC 1970-75), cousins Neil Andrew Hamilton (born 8 January 1928, SC 1941-42, died 11 July 2000) and Grahame Craik Hamilton (born 31 August 1929, SC 1941-45, died May 1987), first cousins once removed Andrew Taylor (SC 1991-2003) and Hamish Taylor (SC 1992-2004), and uncle John Adam Cranstoun Andrew (born 26 August 1911, SC 1927, died 15 March 1980). Ian became a farmer. He married Dorothy Lilian Bevan at Scotch on 17 March 1951 and died on 14 April 2011.
William Norman BOUGHEN (’36) was born at Rainbow, Victoria, the son of a baker, on 19 August 1917. Known as Bill, he attended Scotch as a boarder from 1932 to 1934. Bill was a member of the 1934 1st XVIII, of which only two members survive. Bill worked in an insurance office and then in his parents’ Bacchus Marsh bakery. He served in the AIF from 1942 to 1946 as a private. On 7 June 1947 he married Thelma Jean Ross at the Thelma Ross Memorial Presbyterian Church at Parwan. The church was named in her mother’s memory and built by her father. Their best man was Mel Swan (SC 1931-32). Bill’s cousin at Scotch was John Plaisted (SC 1933-44), and his first cousins once removed were David (SC 1969-74) and Mark Plaisted (SC 1972-77). Bill was a master baker. He died at the Alexander Hospital, Alexandra, on 11 July 2011.
Judith Haigh BOWMAN (Staff 1958-79) was born at Quisiana private hospital, Dandenong Road, Windsor on 9 August 1925 as Judith Haigh Torode. Known as Judy, she commenced part-time at Scotch on the day of its 107th anniversary, becoming full-time on 11 June 1962. She became the much-loved manager of the bookroom, becoming a friend, counsellor, an alleviator of anxiety and a provider of motherly concern to many boarders in particular. She was also a good friend of many staff, and the bookroom provided a peaceful and good-humoured haven for many who sought time away from the thrust and parry of the working day. Judy also worked in accounts. She resigned on 31 May 1979 and died on 13 August 2011.
Dr Ian Jeffrey CLENDINNEN, (’44) was born on 10 August 1927, the son of Old Melburnian Frederick William Jeffrey Clendinnen (MGS 1910-14). He attended Scotch from 1933 to 1944. He was a member of the Ninth in 1943 and 1944 and won a government senior scholarship and a 1945 entrance scholarship to Ormond College. In matriculating, Ian won first class honours in Pure Mathematics and Calculus and Applied Mathematics, with second class honours in French and Physics. Although his father attended Melbourne Grammar, Ian’s grandfathers were Frederick John Clendinnen (born 13 April 1860, SC 1877-79, died 13 November 1913) and James Lang Robertson (born 26 August 1858, SC 1873-74, died 4 May 1929).
Also at Scotch were his brother Alexander Kenneth Clendinnen (born 30 November 1928, SC 1935-47, died 12 October 1998), their cousin Alan Robertson Gilchrist (born 18 March 1921, SC 1936-38, died 22 August 2008) and first cousin once removed David Powell (SC 1950-?). Ian died on 12 May 2011.
Sir Edward COHEN Kt (’30) was born at Malvern on 9 November 1912, the son of solicitor and Old Xaverian Harold Edward Cohen. Edward attended Scotch from 1926 to 1930. He was a 1927 Class Captain and a member of the 1926, 1927 and 1930 Athletics teams (Captain in 1930). A superb athlete, he won the under 14 100 yards by 10 yards in a record 11.5 seconds at the 1926 Athletics, breaking the shared record of 1915 and 1921 by a tenth of a second. In the same year he won the under 15 220 yards by two yards in 25.6 seconds, breaking the old record of 25.8 seconds. In 1927 he won the under 15 100 yards by eight yards in 10.6 seconds, breaking the old record of 11.1 seconds. He also broke his 1926 record in the under 15 220 yards, winning by 12 yards in 25.4 seconds. He missed the 1928 Athletics due to influenza, but as Captain in 1930 won the open 100 yards by a yard in 10.33 seconds, and the open 220 yards by a yard in 24 seconds.
Edward was a 1930 member of the Scotch Collegian editorial committee, and was a 1930 Probationer. He matriculated in 1930, winning first class honours in British History, European History, Greek and Roman History and Economics. He won one of nine government senior scholarships, and the exhibition in Greek and Roman History for coming first in the state.
Edward graduated LLB from Melbourne University in 1934 and was awarded a Blue for athletics and hockey.
On 12 September 1939 he married Meryl Derham Fink.
She died on 1 September 2010.
From 1940 to 1945 he served in the AIF and was demobilised as a captain in the 2/12 Field Regiment of the 9th Division, seeing service at Tobruk, Alamein, New Guinea and Borneo.
From 1945 to 1976 he was a solicitor and partner at Pavey Wilson Cohen & Carter, later becoming a consultant at Corrs Chambers Westgarth. Edward was a member (1959-68) and president (1965-66) of the Law Institute of Victoria.
He was a company director and chairman of a wide array of companies including being a director (1947-84) of CUB and its chairman (1967-84).
He was involved in governance and fundraising for many medical and related organisations, including being a member (1955-84) and chairman (1961-84) of the pension committee of Melbourne Legacy.
Relatives at Scotch included his brother Geoffrey Cohen (born 4 November 1908, SC 1922-25, died 11 November 1988), grandfathers Montague Cohen (born 4 August 1855, SC 1869-72, died 18 October 1931) and Samuel Gabriel Pirani (born 4 June 1853, MGS 1863-69, SC 1870-?, died 27 February 1930), son Adrian (SC 1957-68), nephews John Richard Falk (born 15 February 1941, SC 1950-57, died 6 June 2007) and James Falk (SC 1952-64) and great-uncles Henry Bonetter Pirani (born 28 June 1856, MGS 1865-67, SC 1871-72, WC 1872-?, died 16 July 1941) and Edgar Pirani (born 5 January 1866, SC 1882, died 20 October 1938). Knighted in 1970 in recognition of service to the community, Sir Edward died on 22 June 2011.
Arthur Alan COLLINS (’40) was born at East Malvern on 24 February 1923, the son of a commercial traveller. Known as Alan, he attended Scotch from 1937 to 1939 as a member of Lawson House. He was 1937 Class Captain of Remove B, and a member of the 1937 and 1938 Athletics teams. In 1940 he became a clerk at the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in Collins Street, and by 38 was manager of a city branch. From 1945 to 1946 he served as a private in the AIF, seeing action in New Guinea.
On 17 July 1954 Alan married Margaret Joan Cameron at Scotch. Their son Philip attended Scotch from 1970 to 1975. Also at Scotch was Alan’s brother Rae (SC 1934-36). In 1965 he resigned from the CBA to become a stockbroker, and in 1968 was elected a member of the Melbourne Stock Exchange. He traded in partnership with Falkiner Collins and Co, which in 2002 merged with Bell Potter Securities Limited. He was still working part-time in 2009.
Alan was a life member of the RACV and Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club. Alan died at Cabrini Hospital, Prahran, at 3:00 am on 24 May 2011.
Jeff Roger COOKE (’49) was born on 29 July 1930, the son of a chemist. He attended Scotch from 1942 to 1947. On 16 March 1957 he married Margaret Elizabeth Cunningham at Scotch. They moved to Mystic Park in 1968. Jeff died at Swan Hill District Health, Swan Hill, on 10 March 2011.
Anthony Max CORDELL (’57) was born on 24 December 1939, the son of a mechanic. Known as Tony, he attended Scotch from 1951 to 1957 as a member of Lawson-MacFarland House. He rowed in the 1957 1st VIII, and left at the start of Term 2, 1957. In 1958 he rowed in seven-seat of the Mercantile Junior VIII, and had a long association with Mercantile, winning three state titles and coaching. He graduated from the RMIT Management School in 1962 and was a company director of Gladstone Motor Service Pty Ltd, Hollymount Pty Ltd, Mt Denniston Pty Ltd and Plastiweld (Aust) Pty Ltd. On 24 November 1965 Tony married Robin Raye Brown at Scotch. Also at Scotch were his brother Haydn (SC 1958-60) and nephew Justin (SC 1994). Tony was a member of the Old Scotch Collegians’ Lodge and was a keen pistol shooter, hunter, fisherman and sailor. He died on 6 June 2011 and his funeral was held in the Cordell Chapel at Fawkner, which is named after his father Arthur James Cordell.
Colin James COWLING (’56) was born on 2 June 1939, the son of insurance officer and Old Boy Roden Thomas Cowling (born 15 December 1908, SC 1916-24, died 17 August 1986). Colin attended Scotch on a Royal Caledonian Society scholarship from 1953 to 1956. He studied engineering at Melbourne University and worked for the Country Roads Board (now Vic Roads) in bridge building, doing civil engineering design and testing. He later inspected bridges for maintenance purposes and worked for other firms in concrete technology. Colin lived at Cockatoo, and later at Sorrento. His brothers at Scotch were Douglas (SC 1949-51) and Ray (SC 1956-59), cousins Kenneth James Cowling (born 10 January 1917, SC 1922-32, died 17 August 1988), Bruce Scott Cowling (born 30 August 1932, SC 1946-49, died 13 October 1979) and David (SC 1952-53), first cousins once removed Michael (SC 1965-69) and Iain Cowling (SC 1968-71), first cousins twice removed Nicholas (SC 1995-2000) and Charles Cowling (SC 1995-2004) and uncle Inglis Hall Cowling (born 28 December 1901, SC 1915-19, died 17 March 1941). Colin died of cancer at the Epworth Hospital, Richmond, on 12 July 2011.
Dr John Cameron CRAIGIE (’42) was born at Canterbury on 28 April 1926 and attended Scotch from 1937 to 1942 as a member of Lawson House. Known as Jack, he was 1942 Form Captain of VIII-IX and Vice-Captain of Lawson. Jack was a member of the 1941 Swimming team, the 1940 and 1941 Athletics teams and the 2nd XVIII. From 1944 to 1946 he served in the RAAF and was demobilised as a leading aircraftman. Jack graduated LDS and BDSc from Melbourne University in 1952 and worked as a dentist and dental surgeon. Relations at Scotch included his brother Colin (SC 1940-45), twin Beaurepaire first cousins once removed Don and John ( both SC 1953-65), son Robert (SC 1963-70), nephew David Michael Shaw (born 5 July 1949, SC 1955-66, died 1 August 1999) and his daughter Louise’s son Richard McKechnie (SC 1997-2002). Jack died on 29 July 2011, having been diagnosed with lung cancer earlier in the year.
His son adds: Jack excelled in swimming and athletics at Scotch. Jack was a top APS hurdler (100 yards hurdles). Jack served with the RAAF in land transport in PNG towards the end of the war. On 3 June 1952 he married dental nurse Hilary Birt at St Mark’s Church in Camberwell. Their best man was Jack’s classmate, RAAF colleague and fellow dentist Alan Thomas Magill Burnside (SC 1937-42, died 22 October 1999). Jack was a concerned and caring dental surgeon, retiring aged 73. In the 1970s Hilary and Jack developed a rural retreat on the Delatite River at Merrijig. Jack’s interests included opera and sport, particularly tennis, golf and skiing. Sunday tennis afternoons involved friends including close friend Malcolm Fitzpatrick (SC 1933-44).
James Atherton CUNNINGHAM (’45) was born at Sandgate, Queensland, the son of a bank inspector, on 12 March 1928. Known as Jim, he attended Scotch from 1942 to 1943. At Scotch he learned to knit – to make things for soldiers at war. After a serious motorcycle accident almost claimed his left leg he was bedridden for months, and used the time to study accountancy. He became accountant and right-hand man to Bib Stillwell (’44) and ran Yarrawonga Motors. When Bib became involved in aeroplanes, Jim moved his family to Perth to work at Jandakot Airport as a financial controller. Jim married Patricia June Millsom at Scotch on 11 September 1954.
An early interest in ham radio (call number VK61X) led to him becoming one of the pioneers of computer programming in Victoria.
Jim built and sailed his own S&S 34 in Perth and trucked it back to Melbourne. He bought ship chandlery Endeavour Marine Supplies in Kew, running it for about two years. He then provided private financial advice and designed computer programmes before moving to New South Wales for a ‘sea change’. Until his retirement due to ill-health he worked in Mullumbimby in a government-funded ‘skillshare’ position, living on an idyllic 12 ha (30 acres) property complete with a creek and some rainforest. Jim died at the Seabreeze Aged Care facility at Pottsville, New South Wales on 24 April 2011.
Ian Glen Robson DAVIDSON (’42) was born at Jeparit on 28 May 1925, the son of a school inspector. He attended Scotch from 1940 to 1942. Ian served in the RAAF from 1944 to 1946 and was demobilised as a leading aircraftman in the 7th Airfield Construction Squadron. Ian became a clerk. He lived at Mackay, Queensland, and died on 27 April 2011.
Hayden John DAVIES (’41) was born at South Melbourne on 16 February 1924, the son of an electrical engineer. He attended Ballarat College before attending Scotch in 1939. Also at Scotch was his cousin Richard Evan Davies (born 4 July 1923, SC 1938-40, died 25 September 1943 in World War Two). Hayden left to attend Scotch College, Adelaide. Hayden joined a large bakery on Park Terrace. During the war he worked 18 hour days, seven days a week, as the bakery supplied all of the military’s bread. He married Melva Lorraine Sharp at St. Augustine’s Church, Adelaide, on 8 December 1945.
In 1947 Hayden gave up baking and moved to Kingston, South Australia, purchasing a large tract of virgin land to take up farming. He lived in a tent while clearing the land and building a temporary house for his family. Due to ill-health he sold the property and returned to Adelaide, but three years later bought a larger tract of land at Naracoorte, South Australia and grazed cattle and sheep, including operating a Poll Hereford stud. After a brief period back in Adelaide he went to Padthaway, and in 1979 moved to Hamilton, Victoria. Hayden died at Hamilton on 21 April 2011.
John Swinburne ELLING-WORTH (’46) was born at Hammersmith Hospital, London, England, on 20 May 1929, the son of a doctor. He attended Scotch from 1940 to 1945 as a day boarder in Morrison House. He played rugby and was a Scout. In 1954 he graduated BCom from Leeds University. John ran his own business, importing and manufacturing furniture, and had several shops in Melbourne. He was managing director of Sablis Pty Ltd. On 3 October 1959 he married Zoe Smith in the small English village of Barcombe, Sussex. Their sons at Scotch were Giles (SC 1974-80) and Casey (SC 1974-82). Also at Scotch were his cousins Bryan Russell Martin (born 22 September 1918, SC 1931-37, died 26 July 1983), Colin Swinburne Martin (born 25 November 1920, SC 1931-37, died 13 November 1946) and Frank Ian Russell Martin (born 15 April 1929, SC 1939-47, died 16 September 2008), first cousins once removed Ralph Oswald Ellingworth (born 13 March 1896, SC 1911-12, died 15 January 1918 in World War I) and Peter Martin (SC 1954-63), uncle Vincent Ellingworth (born 26 February 1897, SC 1911-12, died 8 October 1933) and second cousins Bob Arnold (SC 1933-44) and William Swinburne Arnold (born 24 July 1932, SC 1938-49, died 14 October 2004). John lived at Barragga Bay, New South Wales, and died on 12 April 2011 at nearby Dalmeny from the complications of a fall.
Kingsley Arthur ELTON (’39) was born at Canterbury on 10 May 1922, the son of a business manager. He attended Scotch from 1933 until the start of Term 3, 1937. From 1941 to 1946 he served in the AIF and was demobilised as a sergeant in the 9th Australian Cipher Section. On 20 August 1943 he married Dorothy Jean Brien at Scotch. He became a manager and moved to Turramurra, New South Wales, and last to Bayview, New South Wales. Relatives at Scotch included his brother John Ainger Elton (born 30 October 1917, SC 1929-33, died 18 April 2004), cousin Ernest Alfred Ainger (born 30 October 1921, SC 1934-37, died 9 September 1986), nephew Peter Elton (SC 1953-61) and Jamieson great-nephews Steven (SC 1983-88) and Duncan (SC 1984-87). Kingsley died on 16 January 2011.
Ewan Reaburn FREEMAN (’47) was born at Camberwell on 7 January 1930 and attended Scotch from 1944 to 1946. Also at Scotch were his cousins William Reaburn Grieve (born 22 May 1916, SC 1930-33, died 15 November 1945 in World War II) and Keith Alexander Grieve (born 24 June 1922, SC 1937-38, died October 2001) and first cousin once removed Peter Grieve (SC 1957-62). Ewan worked as a technician. He lived at Wheelers Hill and died on 27 June 2011.
George Ernest GLENN (’39) was born at Deniliquin, New South Wales, the son of a farmer, on 10 September 1920. He boarded at Scotch from 1935 to 1936 in School House as a member of Littlejohn House. Until 1942 he worked on the family farm, Yarree, at Walliston, in the Mathoura district. He attended Echuca Technical School, finishing top of his class in wool classing, and became a wool classer after studying at the Gordon Technical College in Geelong.
From 1942 to 1945 he served in the AIF as a private. He spent two years in New Guinea supporting ground troops with tasks including parachuting supplies out of aeroplanes, delivering supplies to the frontline in a 4WD Blitz, and repairing rifles. He used his army pay to put a deposit on Koonkool, Moulamein, New South Wales, where he was a farmer and grazier. He established one of the district’s first irrigation farms, using horse-drawn teams and scoops, and in 1948 planted his first rice crop. He helped establish the Moulamein Polocrosse Club.
George married Lorna May Bossy at Deniliquin on 10 January 1948. His cousins at Scotch were Rodney John Hicks (born 16 August 1924, SC 1939-42, died 7 January 1994), Russell William Hicks (born 14 April 1926, SC 1941-43, died 10 September 1954) and Geoffrey Glenn Hicks (born 29 June 1930, SC 1946-47, died 8 August 1986). George died on 16 May 2011 at the Swan Hill Aged Care facility, Swan Hill.
Douglas James GRAHAM (’40) was born at Mitcham on 15 June 1923, the son of a builder. He attended Scotch from 1937 to 1938 as a member of Lawson House. From 1941 to 1946 he served in the army and was demobilised as a corporal. On 13 November 1948 at St. Albans Anglican Church, Five Dock, New South Wales he married Dorothy Jean Williams. Their son David attended Scotch from 1959 to 1969 and David’s son Matthew attended Scotch from 1992 to 2001. Also at Scotch was Douglas’ brother Bruce Aylesbury Graham (born 16 May 1926, SC 1937-41, died 12 July 1993).
Douglas graduated from RMIT in 1954 with a Diploma of Industrial Management. In 1949 he became a Fellow of CPA Australia and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries. He became an Associate of the Australian Marketing Institute in 1954 and was a Fellow of the Institute of Internal Auditors. Douglas was an accountant, company secretary, finance director and operational audit manager. He was secretary of Olympic Tyre and Rubber Company, spending most of his career in its head office and at Beaurepaire and Olex subsidiaries. His last position was at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Douglas had a great interest in ornithology and entomology, and bred stick insects, of which he had a great knowledge. He died on 3 May 2011.
Alasdair Horace Perry HAM (’60) was born on 11 July 1943 and attended Scotch from 1948 to 1960. Also at Scotch were his brothers Walter Herbert Perry Ham (born 8 November 1933, SC 1940-51, died 3 August 1960 in a car accident) and John Gibbs Perry Ham (born 19 June 1936, SC 1941-53, died 6 December 2009), cousin Richard Gibbs (SC 1943-55), uncle John William Perry Ham (born 6 July 1908, SC 1918-25, died 1 May 1987), grandfather Herbert Perry Ham (born 6 July 1869, SC 1882-86, died 16 May 1942) and nephews Andrew Luxton (SC 1976-81) and Carl Luxton (SC 1979-84). Alasdair lived at Rockingham, Western Australia, and died on 25 August 2011.
Richard Alexander HARDING (’68) was born at Kew on 22 December 1949, the son of a business manager. Known by some as Rick, he attended Scotch from 1964 to 1968 as a member of Monash House. His greatest interests were in Geology and Economics, with basketball, cricket and stamp collecting becoming lifelong hobbies. He played in the Basketball 2nds in 1967. As a cadet he recalled travelling to and from Scotch with his .303 on the tram. On 1 May 1971 he married Roslyn Clarice Keeble at Scotch. Rick graduated in Business Studies from Swinburne and by 1975 was handling the accountancy practice of Ian and Neil Barker at Berwick. He bought the practice in 1978 and moved to Upper Beaconsfield. Rick became a CPA specialising in small business and wealth management, with clients Australia-wide. He retired in 1999. Rick was diagnosed with leukaemia in August 2009, but celebrated his 40th wedding anniversary before his death on 11 May 2011.
Keith Caldwell HEWITT (’40) was born at Murchison, the son of medical practitioner and Old Boy William Ernest Hewitt (born 27 August 1895, SC 1913-18, died 27 May 1972) on 29 January 1923. He attended Camberwell Grammar School before attending Scotch from 1936 to 1940 as a member of Monash House. He was a cadet and a member of the 2nd XVIII. Keith served in the army from 1941 to 1942 as a private, and in the RAAF from 1942 to 1946. As a pilot he was a flying instructor at Benalla for 15 months. In 1944 Keith completed operational training at Mildura and was posted to 82 Squadron at Moratai and Labuan. He flew Kittyhawks, with most operations involving ground attack, strafing and dive bombing on the Borneo mainland. He was demobilised as a flight lieutenant. He sold cars in Ringwood, ran timber trucks at Launceston and sold real estate. In 1954 he served in Korea as a flying officer and also served in Japan. He retired from the RAAF at the age of 55 as a wing commander. He became a real estate agent in Canberra.
On 14 January 1956 Keith married Grace Furze Wilson at Scotch. Relatives at Scotch included his cousin Lindsay (SC 1936-37), uncle Harry Glen Caldwell (born 6 July 1891, SC 1906-07, died 2 June 1971), Wood nephews David (SC 1961-69) and Richard (SC 1967-75) and Wood great-nephews Robert (SC 1995-2000) and Nicholas (Year 11). Keith lived at Oaks Estate in the Australian Capital Territory and died on 24 August 2011.
Ian Mayo HINRICHSEN (’45) was born at Clifton Hill on 10 September 1926. He attended Scotch from 1938 to 1944. He was a star sprinter who was a member of the Scotch Athletics teams of 1940 to 1944, being Vice-Captain in his final year. He was a member of the premiership 1943 1st XVIII and the 1944 1st XVIII. In 1944 he was Captain of Monash House and a Probationer. From 1945 to 1946 Ian served in the RAAF and was demobilised as a leading aircraftman. He competed in the Stawell Gift and the Bendigo Thousand but did not progress through the heats. Relatives at Scotch included his brothers Kevin (see below) and Gordon (SC 1945-50), sons Colin
(SC 1966-72) and Rodney (SC 1968-74), nephews Marshall (SC 1968-?) and Peter (SC 1969-80) and grandsons Matthew (SC 1999-2004) and Andrew (SC 2001-06). Ian became a managing director. He died on 4 August 2011.
Kevin William HINRICHSEN (’41) was born on 7 December 1924 and attended Scotch from 1936 to 1940. He was a member of the Athletics teams of 1938 to 1940. Kevin was a member of the 1938 relay team and was 1939 Class Captain of VIId. Kevin became a medical practitioner and surgeon. His son Peter attended Scotch from 1969-80 (see above for other relations). Kevin died on 16 August 2011, only 12 days after the death of his brother Ian.
Robert William HURST (’46) was born at Ascot Vale on 28 September 1928, the son of a civil engineer. Known as Bob, he entered Scotch in 1940 as a member of Monash House, leaving at the end of 1942 to attend Scots College, Sydney, and returning to Scotch for several weeks in 1946 before going to Melbourne University. Also at Scotch were his uncle Frederick Davenport Berrill (born 19 October 1904, SC 1918-20, died 18 August 1951) and his grandfather William George Berrill (born 3 September 1864, SC 1881-82, died 2 February 1939). Bob married Valerie Joan Shute at Scotch on 21 January 1954. Bob graduated with a Diploma of Mechanical Engineering from the Royal Melbourne Technical College in 1956 and became a general manager of the Pacific Dunlop Ltd Industrial Group.
He was a member of the Commonwealth Golf Club. Bob lived within the sight and sounds of Scotch, which he described as ‘equal to any school in this country, or perhaps anywhere’ and died on 25 May 2011.
Peter Graeme KELLY (’40) was born at Prahran on 30 June 1922. He attended Scotch from 1929 to 1937. In the Junior School he was given a love of Science and Chemistry by teachers Arthur Cromwell Welshman (Staff 1918-35) and William Rotherham ‘Tort’ Jamieson (Staff 1909-48). Peter left Scotch to work and financially support his family as a result of his father’s death in 1933. In 1938 Peter became laboratory assistant at Glazebrooks Paints in Fitzroy. In 1939 he commenced a diploma course in Applied Chemistry at Melbourne Technical College. As this was a protected industry he was not permitted to join the armed forces, although when this restriction was relaxed his attempt to join the RAAF was rejected on health grounds. Peter became an applied chemist, working as chief chemist at Brella Pty Ltd, textile processors, from 1949 until his retirement in 1983. In the 1950s he joined the Field Naturalists’ Club of Victoria. He served on its committee for 25 years, spending nine years as its librarian and three as its president. He became a life member and gave talks around the state. In his later years he was a volunteer research assistant at the Genealogical Society of Victoria. Peter died on 17 May 2011.
Leigh Maurice KINGSTON (’42) was born at Caulfield on Remembrance Day 1924, the son of farmer and Old Boy Leslie Montefiore Kozminsky (born 13 May 1886, SC 1895-99, died 14 March 1959). Although born as a Kozminsky, Leigh was enrolled at Scotch as Kingston, to which surname the family changed its name. Leigh attended Scotch from 1935 to 1941. Also at Scotch were his brothers John Braham Kingston (born 23 February 1926, SC 1935-43, died 12 April 1983) and Keith Bennett Kingston (born 28 March 1928, SC 1935-45, died 5 January 1986), uncle Maurice Edward Kozminsky (born 14 May 1884, SC 1895-99, died 19 August 1916 at Pozieres in World War I), first cousins once removed Isidore Israel Kozminsky (born 26 August 1870, SC 1880-87, died March 1943) and Michael Kozminsky (born 21 March 1874, SC 1887-91, died 28 April 1940) and grandson Maurice Clayton (SC 2000-08). Leigh was a great-nephew of the founder of Kozminsky’s, the Bourke Street jewellery store. He managed his father’s property The Grove at Cootamundra, New South Wales, and died there on 6 April 2011.
Leo George KOSTOS (’45) was born at North Melbourne on 8 May 1927, the son of a cafe manager. He entered Scotch in 1940 and left during 1943. Also at Scotch was his brother Mike (SC 1940-44). Leo died on 5 April 2011.
John Forbes LOGAN (’45) was born at Brighton on 21 August 1928, the son of a manager. He left Brighton Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1940 to 1945 as a weekly boarder. He was a member of both MacFarland and Littlejohn Houses. John was a member of the Scotch swimming team in 1941 and from 1943 to 1945. He played in the 2nd XVIII and the 2nd XI. In 1951 John graduated from RMIT with a Diploma of Applied Chemistry and became director and chairman of Loslo Enterprises. On 16 January 1952 he married Lois Shirley Berger at Scotch. Their sons Richard (SC 1966-71) and John (SC 1974-79) attended Scotch, as did their grandsons David (SC 1994-99) and Charles Logan (SC 1996-2001), and Thomas Hughes (SC 1998-2003), and William McCann (SC 2005-10), nephew Andrew Simms (SC 1959-63) and granddaughter and Junior School staff member Kate McLennan. John became a managing director and in 1985 his extraordinary generosity to Scotch was honoured with the awarding of life governorship of Scotch. John died on 1 August 2011.
Rev James David MARTIN (’46) was born at Quisisana private hospital, 209 Dandenong Road, Windsor, on 2 December 1927. Known as Jim, he attended Scotch from 1940 to 1946 as a member of Morrison House. He was acting 1940 Form Captain of VIa, a 1946 Scotch Collegian editorial committee member, 1946 assistant librarian and a 1946 Probationer. Jim graduated BA from Melbourne University and received his Graduate Diploma of Tertiary Education from the University of New England. On 25 November 1960 he married Helen Mary Dallimore (the daughter of Old Boy George Menzies Dallimore, SC 1912-1919) at Scotch. Also at Scotch was his brother John Stanley Martin (born 9 July 1933, SC 1947-50, died 17 January 2010) and son Richard (GC 1968-71, Townsville Grammar School, SC 1976-81). Jim was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1960 and was the chaplain of Geelong College from 1967 to 1971. From 1971 to 1992 he was principal of the John Flynn College at James Cook University in Queensland. He was chairman of the Presbytery of the Uniting Church in Northern Queensland from 1975 to 1979. Jim died on 13 April 2011.
John David McPHERSON (’42) was born at Adelaide on 29 July 1924, the son of an accountant. His family moved to Melbourne in 1935. Known as David, he attended Scotch from 1939 to 1941 as a member of Morrison House. In 1942 he worked for the Orient Steam Navigation Company. He joined the RAAF in 1942, and after aircrew training he served in RAF Squadron 626, completing a tour of 30 operations in Bomber Command. He was demobilised in 1946 as a flying officer. David married Moira Florence Pethybridge at Scotch on 21 February 1948, and their son Andrew attended Scotch from 1966 to 1969. David returned to the Orient Line in 1946 and was a sales manager. The Orient Line was taken over by P&O and in 1968 it transferred David to Sydney, where he lived in Turramurra. In 1972 David joined the Plant Hire/Civil Engineering Company in Sydney and remained there until his retirement in 1989. He was a member of the Pymble Golf Club. David died on 30 June 2011.
Anthony Stuart OLSSON (’57) was born at Melbourne in the Jessie McPherson Maternity Hospital, Lonsdale Street, on 17 May 1939. Known as Tony, he was christened at St Peter’s Anglican Church, Eastern Hill. After attending Little Ruyton he attended Scotch from 1945 to 1957. In 1954 he was a member of Scotch’s open two mile relay team which won the APS Athletics in a record 8:32. In 1956, as a member of the Morrison House 4x880 yards team he broke the APS record in heavy rain. He was a member of the 1954 and 1955 Athletics teams, and was Captain of the 1956 and 1957 Athletics teams. Tony played in the 1st XVIII from 1955 to 1957, winning the APS premiership in 1956, and rowed in the 1956 and 1957 1st VIIIs. He was a 1956 Probationer and a 1957 Prefect. Tony’s brother Rod attended Scotch from 1947 to 1960.
In 1964 Tony founded the Melbourne Surf Shop in City Road, South Melbourne (now the site of McDonald’s). At its peak he had 13 shops, with the last one being in the Tivoli Arcade off Bourke Street. One of Australia’s surfing pioneers, Tony died on 14 May 2011. The following is excerpted from The Age obituary by Michael Gordon: In 1957 Tony ran the mile in 4:15.5 which equates to a sub-four minute 1500 metres. It is still the school record. He was twice awarded school colours for athletics, football and rowing. In 1958 he finished equal second in the national 880 yard title that was also the trial for the Rome Olympics. Herb Elliot was first and Olsson could not be separated from Merv Lincoln and Tony Blue. Tony was told that coming in the first three won Games selection, but that he was too young and could wait until the next Games. He decided to go surfing instead, and was one of Point Lonsdale’s first board riders. Tony devoted his energy to the newly-formed Victorian branch of the Australian Surfriders’ Association (now Surfing Victoria). Being treated shabbily by athletics officials impacted on Tony’s approach when he became ASA president in the late 1960s, as he applied rules with flexibility to try and do the right thing by the surfers. In 1965 he competed in huge waves at Bells Beach, which came to be known as the greatest contest ever held. Nicknamed ‘the Big O’, he is credited (with others) for conceiving a bell as the trophy for the world’s longest-running contest. It remains the world tour’s most coveted trophy. When ASA won the right to stage the 1970 world titles at Bells Beach, a lack of sponsorship almost sank them. Tony ran a national fundraising campaign, but eventually helped persuade Victorian Premier Bolte to put in the necessary money. The titles were marred by bad surf and drug busts, and Tony resigned after 12 months when he failed to have surfers taking illicit drugs banned from competition. He was a man ahead of his time, as illicit drugs in sport are now taboo. Tony put off entering hospital on 15 April this year to attend a reunion marking 50 years of competition at Bells. It was one of the most satisfying experiences of his life.
Stanley Charles ORANGE (’44) was born at Surrey Hills on 4 November 1926. He attended Scotch from 1939 to 1944. From 1945 to 1946 he served in the RAAF and was demobilised as a leading aircraftman at Air Force headquarters. On 14 March 1953 Stanley married Joan Caroline May Edwards at Scotch. Their grandson Lachlan Swale attended Scotch from 2002 to 2007. Stanley died on 8 April 2011.
Peter Avenell RICHARDS (’45) was born at home at Redan Street, St Kilda on 25 July 1926. He attended Scotch from 1932 to 1944 as a member of Gardiner House. He was a cadet and was a member of the Air Training Corps. Peter served in the RAAF in 1945. He was in Harrowgate, England, in 1951, and on 3 December 1952 married Jill Felicity Sargood at St John’s Anglican Church, Toorak. Peter worked for the Kawashima Group Australia Pty Ltd and was a member of the Sorrento Golf Club. Relatives at Scotch included his brother John Carlisle Richards (born 18 June 1933, SC 1939-51, died 6 May 1998), cousin Bill Austin (SC 1943-55), nephews Michael (SC 1964-75), James (SC 1967-79) and Andrew (SC 1968-80), grandson Christopher Paranthoiene (SC 1992-2000) and great-nephews William (Year 12) and Christopher (Year 10). Peter died on 16 August 2011.
Jasper Watson SMITH (’36) was born at Elsternwick on 22 August 1918. He attended Scotch in 1933 as a member of Gardiner House and left when his father died that year. Also at Scotch were his brother Charles Joseph Lewis Smith (born 18 December 1916, SC 1931-32, died 30 November 2004), cousins Windas Appleton Smith (born 2 March 1911, SC 1920-26, died 30 October 1990), James Douglas Watson (born 15 September 1913, SC 1928-29, died 1978) and Charles Bryce Watson (born 23 November 1915, SC 1929-30, died 8 May 1964), and first cousin twice removed Lachlan Hood (Year 9).
Jasper served in the AIF from 1940 to 1945, reaching the rank of lieutenant. He served in the Middle East, New Guinea and Borneo and was posted to Beach Group in Borneo, where he maintained a beachhead at landings in 1945.
On 15 January 1945 he married Marjorie June Hart at Brisbane. In 1948 Jasper was a crew member at Sydney on the winning 18 foot Jubilee class yacht at the national titles. With his wife he bought a dress shop in 1948 and started a wholesale softgoods business which was later sold. Jasper managed a clothing factory then moved to Adelaide, opening Jasper Smith Fashion Agencies Pty Ltd. In 1975 he sold the business and retired to Port Lincoln, where he sailed his 36 foot yacht. After a heart attack in 1997 he returned to Adelaide. Jasper died on 15 June 2011.
Raymond George SMITH (’43) was born at Colac, the son of a bank manager, on 31 August 1924. He attended Scotch from 1939 to 1941 as a member of Gardiner House. From 1944 to 1946 he served in the AIF as a private. He was a member of the 2/1 Australian Pioneer Battalion upon demobilisation. He became a civil engineer in the Department of Works. Also at Scotch were his brothers Lloyd Frederick Smith (born 8 November 1922, SC 1937-39, died 1 August 2009) and Leigh (SC 1946-50), son David (SC 1967-72), nephews Tony (SC 1961-72) and Simon (SC 1983-88) and great-nephew Lachlan (SC 1993-2005). Raymond died on 23 August 2011.
George John STRUGNELL (’42) was born at Coburg on 11 June 1924. He attended Scotch from 1934 to 1942 as a member of Gardiner House. He was a cadet. George won several prizes and a non-resident place at Ormond, with honours in the Leaving certificate examination in English, Latin, French and British History. George was a 1942 Scotch Collegian editorial committee member and a 1942 Probationer. From 1943 to 1946 he served in the RAN.
On 29 December 1951 at St Luke’s Church, Brighton, George married Evelyn Florence Lock. Their three sons attended Scotch: Mathew (SC 1961-69), David (SC 1961-73) and Timothy (SC 1964-74). Also at Scotch were his cousins Alexander George Mancy (born 15 May 1905, SC 1915-22, died 22 March 1935) and Ernest Henry Strugnell Mancy (born 1 December 1907, SC 1915-24, died 21 June 1997) and first cousin once removed John Mancy (SC 1951-59). George graduated LLB from Melbourne University in 1951 and practised as a solicitor. He held offices in the Dromana/Red Hill RSL including president in 1992 and was treasurer of the Rosebud Men’s Probus Inc. from 1996. He died at Rosebud Hospital, Rosebud, on 3 August 2011.
Francis Campbell STUCKEY (’24) was born on 14 April 1906 at Peking, China. He attended Scotch from 1918 to 1924. Frank died at the Gold Coast Hospital, Southport, Queensland, on 22 August 2011 aged 105 years, four months and eight days. A full obituary will appear in the December 2011 Great Scot.
Headlie Howard TAYLOR (’38) was born at Sunshine on 14 August 1920, the son of Headlie Shipard Taylor, an inventor and designer who designed the header harvester as technical director for H V McKay of Sunshine Harvester.
Headlie attended Scotch from 1933 to 1938 as a member of MacFarland House. He was a Scout and became a King’s Scout. Also at Scotch were his brothers Geoffrey Alan Taylor (born 30 October 1921, SC 1933-38, died October 1985) and John (SC 1938-43) and Kerr great nephews Darren (SC 1981-86) and Rohan (SC 1983-89). From 1942 to 1946 Headlie served in the AIF and was demobilised as a corporal in the 3rd Division Signals. He served in signals on the front line in New Guinea and in the islands. On 29 April 1946 he married Margaret Davies at Scotch. Their marriage ended on her death on 24 December 2005. Headlie worked as a fitter, becoming an engineering draftsman and later was an agricultural field test engineer at H V McKay Massey-Harris (later Massey Ferguson). In 1970 he moved to Ocean Grove, where he was a member of the Ocean Grove Bowling Club, winning trophies and maintaining its machinery. Headlie worked for Alcoa, then International Harvester, working as a technician in quality control. He retired in his 70s. Headlie died at Seaview Manor, Ocean Grove, on 3 July 2011.
Iwan TUMEWA (’82) was born at Palembang, Sumatra, Indonesia on 10 June 1964, the son of a merchant. He attended Scotch from 1979 to 1982 as a member of Jamieson (minor House) and Gilray (major House). He played open A badminton and was president of badminton. He was also president of the Radio Club. Also at Scotch was his nephew Christopher Ch’ng (SC 1998-99). Iwan died in a motorcycle accident on 6 August 2011 in south Malaysia while riding from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur.
Fulton George Stapley TURNER (’34) was born at North Carlton on 3 November 1917. He was a very early student at Carey Baptist Grammar School (established 1923) which he attended from 1925 to 1928). Fulton attended Scotch from 1929 to 1934. In 1941 he graduated BDSc from Melbourne University. From 1942 to 1946 Fulton served in the AIF and he was a captain in the 77 Dental Unit upon demobilisation. He lived at Frankston South, practising as a dentist, and died on 17 March 2011.
Dr David Gaston (Terry) WALKER AM (’46) was born on Anzac Day 1929, the son of a chemistry instructor. Known as Terry, he attended Scotch as a member of Littlejohn House and as a boarder in Arthur Rob from 1943 to 1946. He was awarded a 1943 junior government scholarship to attend Scotch. He was a member of cadets and the Air Training Corps. In 1946 he was an Arthur Rob Prefect, winning the Physics exhibition and the general exhibition in the 1946 Matriculation examinations. He graduated BSc from Melbourne University in 1950, MSc in 1952 and was awarded his PhD in 1962.
He joined the staff of the Australian Atomic Energy Commission (AAEC) at Lucas Heights Research Laboratories in Sydney as group leader, and became chief of the materials division. Terry was an active participant when the division became internationally renowned for its work on ceramics, particularly beryllium oxide. He was atomic energy councillor with the Australian Embassy in Washington, and was then an advisor to Mr Justice Fox, Ambassador for Australia in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Terry was director of the research establishment of the AAEC and became the inaugural executive director of the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation when it replaced the AAEC in 1987. He was commissioner of the Australian Atomic Energy Commission from 1983-87 and in 1987 was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences. Terry was awarded the AM on Australia Day 1989 for service to science, particularly in the field of nuclear technology. He was also awarded the Centenary Medal. In retirement he was a member of the nuclear panel of the Institution of Engineers Australia and was its secretary for about 10 years. Terry lived at Corinda, Queensland, and died there on 21 June 2011. His colleague Keith Alder (’39) supplied information for this obituary.
John Bowhay WARE (’42) was born at Balwyn on 18 September 1924 and attended Scotch from 1937 until August 1941 as a member of MacFarland House. John was 1940 Form Captain of VIIf and a cadet corporal. He was a member of the 1939 Swimming team and the 1940 and 1941 1st VIIIs, winning the 1941 Head of the River. Also at Scotch was his brother Robert Henry Ware (born 25 December 1920, SC 1934-35, died 16 April 1995). John served in the RAN from 1942 to 1946 and was demobilised as an able seaman. In 1949 he graduated with a Diploma of Agriculture from Dookie Agricultural College. Beginning with a soldier settler’s block, he eventually had properties of 2,000 and 3,600 ha (5,000 and 9,000 acres) on which he bred Merinos. John lived at Mogila, Woorndoo and died at Warrnambool on 25 May 2011.
Rev Dr Duncan Steuart WATSON (’52) was born at Christchurch, New Zealand, on 13 November 1933, the son of a Presbyterian minister and member of the Scotch College Council. He attended Scotch from 1942 to 1952, becoming a member of Lawson-MacFarland House. Duncan was a member of the 1945 Junior School cricket team, a member of the 1946 Junior School football team, 1946 Junior School Captain and Captain of the Junior School cricket team and 1947 Captain of Form Va. He was a member of the 1951 1st XI and Vice-Captain of the premiership 1952 1st XI. He won the 1952 H I Cohen Trophy as Scotch’s best cricketer that year. Duncan was a 1951 Probationer and a 1952 Prefect. Also at Scotch were his brother Campbell (SC 1942-46) and first cousin once removed Philip Watson (SC 1974-78). Duncan played District 1st XI cricket at Melbourne University from 1955 to 1957 and graduated BA (Hons) in 1957. He graduated BD from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1960, and was awarded his PhD by Edinburgh University in 1966. On 6 August 1960 he married Tertia le Roux at Stellenbosch, Cape Province, South Africa.
In 1964 he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister and inducted into the charge of College Church, Parkville. Duncan later became a Uniting Church minister. Duncan died at home at Kallista on 29 August 2011.
Donald Max WERNER (’61) was born at Windermere Private Hospital, High Street, Armadale, on 18 August 1943, the son of an optician. He attended Scotch from 1951 to 1962 as a member of Lawson-MacFarland House, developing a lifelong love of Scotch College. He was one of two Junior School Prefects in 1956. Don rowed in three-seat in the 1960 5th VIII and in 1962 coached the winning 6th VIII, starting a history of rowing coaching and support at Scotch. He was a cadet NCO and a member of the 2nd XV. An accountant, he was transferred by J B Were to Perth, Western Australia, in 1966, becoming a dealer in the short-term money market for merchant banker Westralian International Ltd in 1970. On 19 February 1968 he married Margaret Andria Bell at Scotch. She died on 8 July 2001. Their son Colin attended Scotch from 1983 to 1988. Also at Scotch were his cousin Keith Werner (SC 1938-47) and Anderson first cousins once removed Robin (SC 1964-69), James (SC 1968-74), Campbell (SC 1971-76) and Euan (SC 1996-2001).
Don graduated BCom from the University of Western Australia in 1979, in which year he returned to Melbourne, co-coaching the Scotch 2nd VIII. He became a private client advisor at Deutsche Morgan Grenfell and worked in both Perth and Melbourne. Don served OSCA with passion, and was an integral member and a founder of the Cardinal Club from its foundation in 1981. He was its President from 1986-87 and 1991-92 and chaired the funding committee for the Cardinal Pavilion, which was opened in 1994, with the Werner Room named in his honour. More than chairing the fundraising, he was the driving force behind it, and helped give Scotch the best boatshed in Australia. Don also instigated the Cardinal Rowers, which gave Scotch Family members the opportunity to row on Sundays at Scotch, as well as in competition. In 2010 a new VIII was named the Don Werner. He equally threw himself wholeheartedly into the support of rowing at Scotch College, Perth, where a boat also bears his name, as did that of the Western Australian King’s Cup crew. He frequently brought together rowers of the two Scotches.
Don was secretary of the Perth branch of OSCA from 1969 to 1978 and – returning to Perth after his wife’s death – from 2002 to 2006, when he became its president, actively seeking out Old Boys in the West, and getting them along to branch dinners. Despite mostly living in Perth, Don regularly returned to Melbourne for the Foundation Day Concert, the OSCA Annual Dinner, and various rowing dinners and activities. He loved returning to Scotch and catching up with its people.
Don expressed his love of Scotch in practical ways. He was a Trustee of the Scotch College Foundation and a member of the Alexander Morrison Circle. He was a life member of OSCA and a former OSCA Council member. Fittingly, he received an OSCA Merit Award in 2007. Don died at Bethesda Hospital, Claremont, Western Australia on 22 June 2011 after a long battle with cancer. In his last days he spoke of his gratitude for his time at Scotch and his involvement with the Scotch Family, saying, ‘I wanted to give something back to Scotch, as I received so much benefit and pleasure from it.’
James Paul WESTCOTT (’57) was born on 21 March 1940. Known as Jim, he attended Scotch from 1947 to 1957. Also at Scotch was his brother Gerald Eric Westcott (born 29 May 1944, SC 1950-61, died 26 April 1994). On 23 December 1963 Jim married Suzanne Constance Pearce at Scotch. She was the daughter of Sir Eric Pearce of Channel 9. Jim died on 17 May 2011.
John Chaponnel George WILSON (’48) was born on 3 October 1930, the son of a foreman. He attended Trinity Grammar School from 1943 to 1944, leaving to attend Scotch from 1945 to 1947. On 27 February 1954 he married Helen Yvonne Moir at Scotch. Their sons attended Scotch: Guy (SC 1965-73) and Scott (SC 1965-73). John played for the Old Scotch Football and Cricket Clubs, captaining the cricket team, and winning the football team’s 1959 best and fairest award. He was also a member of the Lodge. John worked in the printing and flexible packaging industries, initially with Chas. Steel & Co, but in the mid-1950s he founded Celthene Pty Ltd with his father George, Mal Johnston, and cousin Ken Pitson. In the 1970s 75 per cent of the business was sold to Arnott’s. John became managing director of Celthene and Cardboard Containers in 1972 and retired in 1991. He played bowls at the Riversdale Golf Club, where he twice won the bowling championship. John died on 18 May 2011.
Obituaries written by Paul Mishura. Eulogies, obituaries and other biographic information can be sent to Scotch College Archives: 1 Morrison Street, Hawthorn, 3122; (03) 9810 4470; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scotch College: ABN 86 852 826 445 ACN 005 650 395 CRICOS 00624A (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students)