ATHLETICS: On Track Athletics Club
Scotch College has a proud and successful history in APS Athletics dating back to 1905. The School has always been able to field a strong, competitive team for both individual and team events. Athletics is one of the few sports, which involves boys in Years 7 through 12, participating in one team. Although the season is a short one, crammed as it is between summer and winter sports, boys are encouraged to participate as it provides excellent fitness training for all other sports. The Parent Support Group works during this short athletics season to support the coaches and team at all Saturday meets, the All Schools Relays, APS heats and finals.
Inter School athletics meets are held each Saturday during the sea- son, which usually starts early August and ends mid October, at selected metropolitan tracks. The Parents group now known as ‘On Track Athletics Club’ provides a range of fruit and refreshments for the athletes, coaches and all attending parents. Assistance is also provided with set-up and pack-up when Scotch College is hosting a meet. The Parent group’s role continues in a slightly expanded way for the major meets of the season, held at Lakeside Stadium. Namely, All Schools Relays, APS heats and APS finals.
Welcome Sausage Sizzle: A welcome Sausage Sizzle is held at Scotch, on the first combined training session of the season. Coaches and Cheers night: This is organised early in the season for all parents to meet the coaching staff. This is not a fundraising function but the opportunity for new parents, especially, to become acquainted with the group and coaching staff.
Family Day: The Parents group organises a stall which varies in format from year to year, conducts a Silent Auction, which and is the sole fund raising function for the year. The funds raised are used for:
- The Sausage Sizzle
- Coaches and Cheers night
- Refreshments at all meets
- Gold, silver and bronze medals for all athletes placed, individual and team, in the APS finals Medals for all athletes who compete in the Flyer and in the Quarter on Family Day
- Engraving of these medals
Awards Night: The group assists the Teacher-in-Charge and Head Coach to organise the awards night, which is held on the evening after the Saturday APS finals. This night is the culmination of the season and allows both coaches and athletes to reflect on the season.
How to become involved
• Come to the Athletics meets on Saturday mornings and introduce yourself to members of the group
• Follow the group’s activities (dates and times) listed in each edition of theTorch Newsletterand also detailed onLearning Point.
• Indicate to any one of the following your desire/ability to become a member of the Parents’ group
- Other group members