Great Scot Archive
Issues from 1998
Issues from 1998



AITKENHEAD Wilfred James (Bill) (í26)
ALDER John Henry (í39)
ANDERSON George Ian (í32)
BALLANTYNE Hugh Wilson (í49)
BARNABY John Geoffrey Lennon (í58)
BEYER Thomas Henry (í49)
BLYTH Francis Robert David (í32)
BRUCE David Malcolm (í54)
BRUCE Robert Alfred (í42)
CALCUTT Maurice Wigmore (í31)
CAMERON Dr Ian Henry (í48)
CAREY Albert John Kimber (í34)
COOK Alexander Burnand (í30)
DOBBIE Alexander William (í32)
DYE George Walter (í34)
EVA Michael Ross (í63)
FARGIE John David McKenzie (í45)
FLERE Adrian James Hocart (í55)
FULLAGAR Dr John Kelsham (í39)
HAMILTON Ivan Keith (í38)
HOGGARTH William Paton (í37)
JOHNSTONE Russel Murray (í35)
KEAN John Thomas (í38)
LAWSON Dr. Peter Sutherland (Harry) (í58)
LETHAM Dr Donald David (í28)
LONGMUIR Robert Owen (í45)
LOVE Ross Alfred (í26)
MACDONALD Kenneth John (í45)
MACVEAN Allan Arthur (í49)
MARKS QC The Hon. Keith David (í36)
MATHESON Charles McLaren (í35)
McDONALD Alan Alfred (í29)
McFARLAND Russell Stuart (í35)
MEADMORE Clement Lyon (í42)
MEDBURY Walter Matthews (í36)
MONK Leslie Graham (í47)
MORRIS Humphrey Gray (í25)
MURRAY James Hunter (í45)
ODGERS Anthony Richard (í56)
PERMEZEL Ian Robert (í50)
PICKEN William Ian (í37)
POWELL Scott Charles (í89)
REID David Ronald (í60)
RULE James (í32)
RUSSELL Graham Percival (í37)
SCHOLES OAM DFC David William Simpson (í41)
SCOTT Roderick Vaughan (í38)
SCOTT Russell Malcolm (í81)
SKINNER Keith (í42)
SKURRIE Alan David (í34)
SMALL Warren Maxwell (í50)
SPRATT Roy Gordon (í38)
STANISTREET Ronald Bruce (í37)
STEVENS Kenneth Machin (í33)
STURGESS Peter Garry (í38)
SULLIVAN Dr Peter Robert (í65)
TERNES Harold Frederick (í29)
WARK David Andrew Mountford (í56)
WESTERN Kenneth McDonell (í49)
WIGLEY George Harrison (í32)
WILSON Bruce William (í48)

Wilfred James (Bill) Aitkenhead (’26) was born at Launceston, Tasmania, on 17 September 1911, although his birth certificate gave the date as 20 September 1911. Accordingly, he celebrated both birthdays every year. Bill left Scotch College, Launceston, to attend Scotch College, Melbourne, in 1926, after which he left to work at Pascoe Motors, where he was paid five shillings a week selling motorcycles and bicycles. While working at Conn’s Motors he became involved in dirt track motorcycle riding. In the early 1930s he worked for the Richmond Brewery, but the Great Depression made it a part-time job, and he moved to Sydney in 1935. After selling clothes brushes door to door he found work with motorcycle dealer Bennett & Wood. He later ran a mixed business, was a bookmaker at Harold Park greyhound track, and ran the Sutherland Arms at Ultimo. In about 1940 he moved to Adelaide, and worked in the Islington Railway Workshops after being refused entry into the RAAF. On 23 June 1941 the RAAF accepted him. He was posted to the Number One Air Ambulance in the Middle East, and was later based at Bari in Italy for the Italian campaign before being posted to the 36th Transport Squadron at Archerfield, Qld, from which he flew many missions to PNG. At war’s end he was posted to Singapore with the 45th Squadron to evacuate troops home. He was discharged on 7 May 1946. On 16 October 1945 he married Mollie Irene Woodroofe (died 10 August 1983) in Brisbane and they had a daughter (Wendy) and a son (Gregory). During the war he became aware that it was almost impossible to get transport from Sydney Airport, so he established a regular chauffer-driven hire car service in 1946 as Kingsford Smith Hire Cars (KSA – later KST). He soon operated nine cars after buying out business partners, and later bought out competitors who had started in the early 1950s. When airport traffic brought an increase in taxis, he replaced his limousines with mini buses – another winning move. He was proud of his around-the-clock service every day for 53 years until the business was sold in 1999. Bill was a foundation member of the Australian Federation of Travel Agents and, with others, established the Travellers’ Information Service at Sydney Airport. He was a president of the Motor Traders’ Association of NSW and the VAAC (Vic). Bill travelled extensively throughout the world, with his last trip being to Dubai in 2004. A planned trip to Korea, Vietnam and China was planned for July 2005. He was a foundation member of the NSW Racehorse Owners’ Association, and a member of the AJC, STC and the Thoroughbred Club of Australia, as well as the Sydney Theatre Company and Sydney Symphony Orchestra. A quiet philanthropist, he was still driving at his death. Bill’s brother, James (1926–29; died 13 April 1974), was also at Scotch. Bill lived in Sydney, and died on 28 May 2005.

John Henry Alder (’39) was born at East Malvern on 4 February 1923, and attended Scotch from 1936–39 as a weekly boarder, having won a scholarship. He received an entrance scholarship to Melbourne University, receiving his BSc (ChemE) in 1949, and a Diploma of Arts from Swinburne in 1977. He served in the AIF’s 5 BN (VSR) as a Private from 1941–42, then transferred to the RAAF from 1942–46, being a flying officer at the 15 Radar Station upon demobilisation. On 3 October 1950 he married Gwenda B. Chadwick at Scotch, and their sons David (1967–72) and Richard (1972–77) followed him at Scotch. John was director of Barret Burston Aust from 1963–71, deputy chairman of the Victorian EPA from 1971–84, and a member of the Victorian AAT from 1984–88. John’s father, Harold (1909–12,) attended Scotch, as did his brothers Alec (1940–42; died 18 August 1973) and Donald (1943–46), cousin Douglas (1937–41), nephews Robert (1962–72) and Andrew (1967–71), and grandson Nicholas Forster (Year 11). John died on 4 April 2005. His family supplied the following further information: In 1942 John enlisted in the Royal Australian Air Force where he became a ‘Bailey Boy’ for four years. These young men, after a period of highly intensive and very secret training under Professor Bailey at Sydney University were sent to remote locations in the Pacific to set up radar stations that were to play a critical early-warning role of the Japanese advance. John’s wartime service included two and a half years as commanding officer of radar stations in New Guinea and islands in the south-west Pacific, during the Japanese advance and retreat. He continued his interest in applied science by attending Melbourne University after the war, where he graduated in 1948, majoring in chemistry and engineering. During this time he was a keen member of the Melbourne University Mountaineering Club, further developing a lifelong interest in the natural environment. He had three children: Kate, David and Richard. After graduating, John worked for several decades in a range of industries in positions with responsibilities for production management and technical innovation. His roles included paper mill superintendent at Australian Newsprint Mills in Boyer, Tasmania, and Technical Director at malting firm Barrett Bros and Burston. His industry experience was recognised in his appointment as the inaugural Deputy Chairman of Victoria’s new Environment Protection Authority, established in 1971. The three-man authority established effective and innovative pollution controls and monitoring systems in Victoria, now regarded as benchmarks around the world. He left the EPA in 1984 to join the Planning Appeals Board as a full-time member. This appointment gave him further opportunity to apply his extensive knowledge of industry and science in the service of his community. After retirement in 1989, John continued his interest in community service, including membership of the Faculty of Engineering at Melbourne University, the Lower Yarra Advisory Committee, and the Royal Park Hospital Ethics Committee. John was a keen and active member of the Old Scotch College Tennis Club from the late ’60s until well after his retirement. He was an enthusiastic surfer and swimmer at Mooloolaba (Queensland) and Mount Martha.

George Ian Anderson (’32) was born at Clifton Hill on 4 January 1915, and attended Scotch from 1928 until May 1932 – leaving immediately after rowing in the First VIII for the second year. A member of Lawson House, he rowed in its crew for three years. He was a 1932 Probationer. George worked for the NAB, and was a bank manager in both Victoria and Qld. On 28 March 1942 he married Shirley Evans at Scotch. George died on 8 June 2005.

Hugh Wilson Ballantyne (’49) was born on 13 March 1931 and attended Scotch from 1942–49, coming from CBGS. He was a choir member at Scotch and involved in Scouts. His father, James (1914–17; died 27 May 1988), was at Scotch, as were his uncles Andrew (1915–22; died 13 July 1992) and Ronald (1915–25; died April 1980 in California, USA), and Borthwick great nephews William (Year 11) and Harry (Year 8). Hugh died on 5 July 2005.

John Geoffrey Lennon Barnaby (’58) was born on 10 September 1941 and attended Scotch from 1950–58. He was Captain of the Junior School in 1953, a 1957 Probationer, and a 1958 Prefect. Jack was a CUO and member of the Second XI. He obtained his BE at Melbourne University in 1962, and his MBA in 1971. Jack married Maggie. He was the chief executive of the property consultancy at A.T. Cocks Consulting. Jack was a member of the Australia Club, and of the Flinders, Royal Melbourne and National Golf Clubs. He was a member of the Scotch Foundation. His son David (1982–92) attended Scotch, as did his father James (1917–22; died 15 November 1981) and uncle John (1915–19; died 20 July 1969). Jack died on 25 June 2005.

Thomas Henry Beyer (’49) was born in Melbourne on 30 November 1930 and attended Scotch from 1938–49. He was a 1943 Junior School Form Captain, 1944 Form Captain of Va, 1945 Form Captain of VIB and 1946 Form Captain of VII Mod. 1943 Captain of the Junior School, he was a 1949 Probationer. In 1953 he obtained his PhC, MPS, at the Victorian College of Pharmacy. Tom began working at McCausland’s Pharmacy in Ashburton – a job that paid a few guineas a week. He bought the Victoria Pharmacy in Little Collins Street, and later acquired McCausland’s. Tom was a member of the Ashburton Chamber of Commerce, and was an Amcal board member. After co-owning various pharmacies in Chapel Street, Prahran, he ‘settled’ at the Prahran Central Amcal Pharmacy. He retired as a pharmacist in 2000. Tom was an active member of the Liberal Club for over 25 years, being chairman of the Hawthorn branch, and energetically supportive at election time. Tom was a director of the National Gallery of Victoria, where he was an active volunteer whose keen eye spotted Old Scotch visitors. He was the founding chair of the Felton Society, which was formed to raise funds for future acquisitions. Tom was chairman of the Hawthorn Electorate Council, Melbourne University’s Veterinary Science Animal Experimentation Ethics Committee, and the RSYLTC, RACV, MSO Society, and the Melbourne Club. At Scotch on 26 March 1955 he married Beverley Judith Wright (died 27 December 1995), and their sons Andrew (1969–75) and Stephen (1970–75) attended Scotch. Tom’s father Guido (1910–19; died 6 May 1956) was also at Scotch, as was his uncle John (1908–?; died 18 January 1975) and cousins Charles (1927–34), Carl (1929–38; died 18 March 1996), John (1935–44; died 24 February 1996) and Richard (1940–46; died 10 July 1987). Tom died on 17 May 2005 and a tribute to him was held in the Great Hall of the National Gallery on 26 May 2005.

Francis Robert David Blyth (’32) was born at Gisborne on 5 July 1914 and attended Scotch from 1930–32. He was a 1931 and 1932 Class Captain. Francis was married to Zoe for 55 years. David’s brother Russell (1928–29) also attended Scotch. David died peacefully in his sleep at Caritas Christi, Kew, on 5 May 2005.

David Malcolm Bruce (’54). The following obituary was supplied by David’s wife, Barbara: David was born at Bethesda Hospital, East Melbourne on 4 December 1936. David won a scholarship to Scotch Senior School and attained 12 subjects in Matriculation over two years. David was a Senior Cadet Under-Officer and went to Canberra with Bob O’Neill and Peter Rouch in 1954 to take part in a March Post at the opening of Federal Parliament, later meeting Mr Menzies, the then Mrs Pattie Menzies and Lord Bruce. The three also attended the Royal Garden Party at Government House and they were presented to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh and later attended the Trooping of the Colour at Duntroon. David was editor of The Collegian in 1954, rowed bow in the First Crew and was a School Prefect. David attended Melbourne University Law School and after graduating, joined Fenton & Dunn Solicitors for his Articles. He later became a Legal Manager at TAA for some years. He eventually returned to Fenton & Dunn when Mr Dunn died. The firm became Fenton, Dunn & Bruce, which eventually amalgamated with Wisewoulds. After leaving Scotch, David enjoyed skiing at Mt Buller and Thredbo. He helped build the original Koomerang at Mt Buller. On 12 December 1969, David married Barbara Hamilton Brown (daughter of Thomas Arnold Brown (1916–18; died 29 January 1983) at Scotch and had two sons, Robert (1976–88) and James (1978–90), and lived at 1 Callantina Road, Hawthorn so the boys would never be late for school! David was a great family man and enjoyed following the boys’ sporting activities at Scotch, inter-school and on the River. No. 1 Callantina Road was often the venue for hungry boarders and/or sporting BBQs. David also helped the boys with their sailing activities at Blairgowrie and State sailing. In 1974, David joined the National Australia Bank to establish the Bank’s Legal Department. Since that time he had been closely involved in major changes in the banking industry. The Managing Director of NAB, Mr Don Angus, in 1996 said David had been a key player in many events which had shaped the National Australia Banking Group including the 1981 merger with the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, and the acquisitions of major overseas banks in England, Scotland and Ireland. A senior London lawyer from Cameron and Markley wrote to the family saying, ‘Working with David was always something special; no one else had his style. His wisdom and style got the job done and it was fun doing it.’ On retiring from the NAB in 1996 he became a senior partner at Mallesons, Stephen, Jaques until ill health forced him to retire. Over the last 10 years, David did not enjoy good health or a retirement he would have wished for. In July 2004, he suffered a brain haemorrhage and unfortunately died on 19 June 2005. David will be sadly missed by Barbara, James, Rob and Georgie, grandchildren Mardi and Hamish (living in Seoul, South Korea).In David’s honour the NAB have decided to donate a prize in banking law at his old law school – the University of Melbourne. The prize will be known as the ‘David Bruce Memorial Prize’, awarded to a student demonstrating excellence in the field of banking law.

Robert Alfred Bruce (’42) was born at Yarrawonga on 21 August 1925, the eldest of four children, and attended Scotch from 1939–40 as a boarder in Arthur Rob. Bob left Scotch to pursue a trade. He obtained his Diploma of Electrical Engineering at RMIT in 1959, and worked for the SEC until retiring early. He and his wife, Sarah Dorothy, moved to Tura Beach, but returned to Melbourne when she became ill. His death ended a 55-year marriage. They had two daughters; one, Wendy Matthews, wrote that he was a proud Old Boy who enjoyed his short time at Scotch. His brother, Wallace (1948–51), was also at Scotch. Bob died on 4 December 2004.

Maurice Wigmore Calcutt (’31) was born at Malvern on 18 September 1914 and attended Scotch from 1926–31. He served in the AIF from 1940–42, being a Private in the Australian Army Services Corps 4 Division upon demobilisation. Maurice died on 12 June 2005.

Dr Ian Henry Cameron (’48) was born on 24 October 1929 and attended Scotch from 1939 to 1948. He was a 1941 Junior School Form Captain, and a member of the pipe band. In 1954 he obtained his MB BS at Melbourne University and became a GP. Ian’s last years of practice were at the Wicklow Avenue Medical Centre. On 5 January 1955 he married Lesley E. Fairbairn at Scotch. Ian was proclaimed Chieftain in Clan Cameron, chaired various medical committees, was chairman of the VTAC of RACGP, medical officer for the City of Croydon and Maroondah from 1961, and was a member of various Scottish societies. He served his nation in the RAAMC. Ian was the second of four generations of Camerons at Scotch. His father, Dr Ian attended Scotch (1906–15; died 7 September 1948), as had his uncles Angus (1906; died 1952) and Donald (1906–14; died 14 March 1958). Cousins at Scotch were Alan (1935–38; died 8 March 1994) and Donald (1935–39). Ian’s sons comprised the third generation: Ian (1965–74); Andrew (1967–75), Hugh (1969–77) and Malcolm (1971–77). The fourth generation is represented by Matthew (1999–2004), Ian (Year 12), James (Year 11), Andrew (Year 9) and Duncan (Year 6). Ian died at the Ringwood Private Hospital on 21 July 2005 after a prolonged illness.

Albert John Kimber Carey (’34) was born at Kew on 11 December 1918 and attended Scotch from 1931–34. Bert died on 25 March 2005.

Alexander Burnand Cook (’30) was born at Rupanyup on 9 January 1913 and attended Scotch from 1922–30. He married Marjorie Swan at Scotch on 6 August 1938. Alexander died on 17 June 2005.

Alexander William Dobbie (’32) was born at Auburn on 22 November 1916, and left CGS to attend Scotch from 1928–32. From 1940–46 he served in the RAAF, during which time he was a POW. Upon demobilisation he was a Flight Lieutenant in the 1 Squadron. On 18 December 1945 he married Beryl Minnie Latham at Scotch. She died on 21 April 2003. Their son, Roger (1969–73), was also at Scotch, and Alec’s father, Archibald Lizars Dobbie (died 29 December 1954), coached the First VIII from 1934–36. Alec died on 4 April 2005.

George Walter Dye (’34) was born at Cape Town, South Africa, on 30 December 1916, and attended Scotch from 1931–34. He was a Class Captain in 1932, 1933 and 1934. George was one of three sons of an American Consul who attended Scotch. His brothers were John (1931–33) and Phillip (1931–36). George lived at Sun City Centre, Hillsborough, Florida, USA, and died on 10 January 2005.

Michael Ross Eva (’63) was born on 1 January 1946 and attended Scotch from 1954–63. Michael’s father, Ross (1931–36; died June 1995), attended Scotch, as did his uncle Lloyd (1931–32), and cousins David (1959–63) and Ross (1961–67). Michael died on 16 May 2005.

John David McKenzie Fargie (’45) was born on 1 May 1929 and attended Scotch from 1938–45. His uncle, Dr. Eric Fargie (1916–18; died 12 December 1968), was also at Scotch. John died on 24 July 2005.

Adrian James Hocart Flere (’55) was born at Kyabram on 27 May 1937 and attended Scotch from 1951–55. On 14 July 1961 he married Sue A. Millet at Scotch. Their son, Landon (1982–87), attended Scotch. Adrian died on 27 May 2005.

Dr John Kelsham Fullagar (’39) was born on 14 April 1921, and left HC to attend Scotch from 1932–39. A 1938–39 Dramatic Society member, he was involved in the 1938 production of The Merchant of Venice, and the 1939 production of Busman’s Honeymoon. He was a 1939 Collegian editorial committee member, and a 1939 Prefect. John’s father was Old Haileyburian and High Court Judge Wilfred Kelsham Fullagar, but John chose medicine, obtaining his MB BS at Melbourne University in 1946. He was the medical director of Rockhampton Hospital from 1950–55, a member from 1968–90 of the Board of Management of the Angliss Hospital, and a member of Lions International from 1958–95. John served Australia as a Captain in the RAAMC. He married Lesley Joan Leask (died 31 March 2004) at Scotch on 5 August 1947, and their sons Peter (1965–70) and Andrew (1966–71) attended Scotch. John’s brothers attended Scotch – Richard (1935–36; died 19 November 2001) and Bill (1936–45) – as did nephews Richard (1964–72) and Wilfred (1983).

Ivan Keith Hamilton (’38) was born at Ivanhoe on 14 July 1922 and attended Scotch from 1936–38. Ivan served in the AIF from 1942–46, and was a Sergeant in the 3 Australian Div Signals when discharged. He married Betty McDonald at Scotch on 6 May 1944. Ivan’s brother, Linsday (1933–34), was also at Scotch. Ivan died on 29 June 2005.

William Paton Hoggarth (’37) was born on 16 January 1924, and attended Scotch from 1935–39. He married Gwenda O. McKinlay at Scotch on 9 April 1949. William died on 25 September 2003.

Russel Murray Johnstone (’35) was born at Roseville, NSW, on 9 March 1920, and attended Scotch from 1932–35. He enlisted in the RAN on 6 September 1939, and was a Petty Officer on the HMAS Lonsdale upon demobilisation in 1946. War service did not prevent him returning to Scotch for his marriage on 1 November 1944 to Ruth Grant. Also at Scotch were Russel’s brothers Colin (1932–40) and James (1932–41). Russel died at Ararat on 5 July 2005.

John Thomas Kean (’38) was born at Sea Lake, Victoria, on 15 March 1921, and boarded at Scotch from 1936–38 in Arthur Rob and McMeckan Houses. He served in the AIF from 1943–45, being a Staff Sergeant in the 10 AUST CRE (WKS) when discharged. He married Elizabeth Jean Mailer at Scotch on 22 August 1946. John studied at Melbourne University, and was an architect and a director of the Demaine Partnership. From 1988–98 he was a member of the Probus Club of Brighton. John played tennis and lawn bowls for OSCA. He also bowled for Brighton Beach. John suffered a massive stroke, and died at 3:20am on 1 August 2005 at the Epworth Hospital, Box Hill.

Dr Peter Sutherland (Harry) Lawson (’58) was born on 4 November 1940 and attended Scotch from 1950–58. He was a 1958 Probationer, played in the Second XVIII, and was a Cadet CUO. Peter was also known as Harry, after his famous grandfather, Harry Sutherland Wightman Lawson, Premier of Victoria, and Scotch boy (1891; died 12 June 1952). He obtained his MB BS at Melbourne University in 1964, and specialised as a urologist. He was a member of the College of Surgeons State Committee from 1994. Peter married Judith Barbara Weetman, whose father Spensley (1919–21; died 20 March 1990) and brother Peter (1957–60) both attended Scotch. Their sons followed Peter at Scotch: Andrew (1977–79), Robert (1980–85) and Timothy (1982–88). Peter followed his father, Robert (1924–25; died 31 July 1977) to Scotch, as well as his uncles John (1919–20; died 12 June 1969), Donald (1926–27; died 8 November 1982) and Harry (1932–33; KIA over Scotland on 29 November 1941). Also at Scotch were Peter’s brothers John (1954–62), Gerald (1957–65) and Richard 1961–69), cousins Ian (1947–50; died 2 March 2002) and James (1949–52), Watson cousins Nigel (1956–65), Harry (1958–67) and Malcolm (1960–70), Murdoch cousins: Sandy (1951–57), Harry (1952–58), Hugh (1955–63) and Euan (1958–65) and Lawson nephew Thomas (1997–2002). Peter died on 1 April 2005.

Dr Donald David Letham (’28) was born at Hampton on 15 March 1913, and attended Scotch from 1926–28. While at Scotch he was noted for being a good high jumper. Donald joined the Melbourne University Rifles in 1940, and later joined the RAAF, which he served until his discharge in 1946 as a Flight Lieutenant in the 5 Personnel Depot Staff. He obtained his MB BS at Melbourne University in 1942, and on 19 August 1944 he married Edith Sophia Paterson at Scotch. They moved to Western Australia, where he obtained his BA. Further studies gave him a PhD (Sydney), and he was admitted as an FRACP and FRACMA. Donald was Physician in Charge, Occupational Health, Department of Public Health, Western Australia, a member of the AMA, and a member of the Medical Association for Prevention of War. He developed Alzheimer’s approximately two years ago, and died at Perth, Western Australia, on 6 May 2005.

Robert Owen Longmuir (’45) was born on 19 July 1927 and attended Scotch from 1939–44, during which time he was a cadet. He obtained his BArch at Melbourne University in 1952. Bob married Barbara J. Hamilton at Scotch on 22 July 1955. He was an architect, and a project manager in construction for W.O. Longmuir Pty Ltd. A member of the RSYLTC, and the Metro Golf Club, he was also a light aircraft pilot. Bob’s sons Peter (1969–74), David (1971–76) and Graeme (1973–78) attended Scotch, as did his uncle Dudley (1925–28), brother Ian (1952–54), and nephews Craig (1985–90) and Brett (1985–92). Bob died on 7 April 2005 after a long battle with cancer.

Ross Alfred Love (’26) was born at Port Pirie, South Australia, on 3 August 1910, and attended Scotch from 1925–26. He served in the AIF from 1942–45, and was a Lance Corporal in the 2 Battalion Volunteer Defence Corps upon demobilisation. Ross died in South Australia on 31 May 2005.

Kenneth John Macdonald (’45) was born at Leongatha on 4 April 1928 and boarded at Scotch from 1942–45. He studied at Melbourne University before returning to the family farm in 1948. During his time in Melbourne he took up playing golf, and also met his future wife, who was to spend several years nursing in England. On 25 January 1962 he married Elizabeth Anne Hallowes at Scotch. They lived on the farm before moving to Melbourne in 1964, and settled permanently in Glen Iris in 1965. Ken began working as a salesman at Westeels Paul and Gray, an engineering supply firm, and was state manager after 15 years. He retired in 1988 as a consultant engineer at Borg-Warner/BTR, playing the role of the ‘man who knew everything’. Ken had an engineer’s interest in drainage, with dams causing many detours during family holidays. Australian and overseas holidays were also planned to engineering tolerances. For 13 years he was chairman of the Glen Iris Primary School council, overseeing construction of the library. He had an obsession for quality in his home projects, and was a keen gardener, with his tomato seedlings regularly on sale at the church fete. Ken was instrumental in the construction of the new golf course at Leongatha South, where he won the club championship several times, and was club president and a life member. He was a regular member of the Kingston Heath Pennant team. Kenneth’s brothers Frederick (1947–48) and John (1950) were also at Scotch, as were Kenneth’s sons Ian (1978–83) and Andrew (1983–88). Kenneth died on 25 March 2005.

Allan Arthur Macvean (’49) was born at Burwood on 19 December 1931 and attended Scotch from 1941–49. He followed a long line of Macveans at Scotch, including his father Clive (1912–16; died May 1955), cousins Donald (1944–47), Peter (1948–52) and David (1953–59), grandfather Allan (1879–84; died 17 February 1925), great uncles John (1874–83; died 4 December 1924) and Alister (1872–?; died 28 June 1895), and second cousin Alan Bell (1943–53). Allan died on 7 May 2005. His family adds the further information: Allan, an outstanding distance runner, was a member of the athletics team [the winning 1949 team]. In the Cadet Corps, he was drum major of the pipe band. He joined his father in the family real-estate business and was for many years a member of the Real Estate Institute of Victoria, and a member of the Rotary Club of Richmond [from 1967]. He married Phoebe Millar and they had three daughters. Allan was actively involved in the life of the Burwood Presbyterian Church (now Burwood Uniting Church).

The Hon. Keith David Marks QC (’36) was born at Melbourne on 14 April 1921, and attended Scotch from 1934–36. He obtained his BA, BCom and LLB at Melbourne University, and served in the AIF from 1943–46. He was a Private in the 5 Aust Ordnance Port Detachment when demobilised. Keith signed the bar roll in March 1964 and read with the Honourable John Keely QC. He became a QC in November 1976 and was appointed Deputy President of the Commonwealth Conciliation and Arbitration Commission in April 1980. He retired from the Industrial Relations Commission in 1986, then became a consultant at Mallesons. Keith married Estelle, and his son, John (1977–80), attended Scotch, as had Keith’s brother Howard (1931–34; died 23 July 1998). Keith died on 24 May 2005, and a memorial service was held at St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church on Monday, 30 May 2005.

Charles McLaren Matheson (’35) was born at Armadale on 27 March 1917, and attended Scotch from 1929 to 1935. Charles obtained his BSc at Melbourne University in 1940. During WWII he worked as an explosives chemist, and was in charge of army inspection and testing of nitrocellulose and ammonium nitrates at an explosives plant at Ballarat. Charles joined the Victorian Department of Mines in the mid-1950s (later the Department of Minerals & Energy), of which he was Chief Chemist when he retired in 1982. He married Linda Heinson at Scotch on 5 February 1955. The marriage failed, and there were no children. In retirement he bought a property at Lavers Hill in the Otways, where he installed a wind generator with solar cells, and he enjoyed a view of Bass Strait from his bed. He attended St Cuthbert’s Presbyterian Church in Brighton, and in retirement resumed his study of French, which he had studied at Matriculation. Charles sang bass in community choirs and two church choirs. He enjoyed the beauty of nature, and was a keen photographer. Often he remarked that it was a wonderful thing to have lived, and he was very grateful to God for that experience. Charles’ brother John (1929–38; died 28 January 1995) also attended Scotch, as did his cousins Bruce (1931–34; died 2 April 1954) and Ted Holmes (1932–39), and uncles Professor Samuel (1889–93; KIA 13 August 1916) and Dr Charles McLaren (1892–99; died 9 October 1957). Charles died on 30 July 2005.

Alan Alfred McDonald (’29) was born at Hawthorn on 5 August 1913 and attended Scotch from 1926–29. He was a member of Morrison House. Alan married Norma Methven at Scotch on 23 May 1942. He was an engineer who was works manager at A.H. McDonald & Co, and Managing Director of ARA Engineering Limited. Alan’s brothers attended Scotch: Kenneth (1929–33) and Donald (1934–38) – as did his sons David (1958–62) and Andrew (1964–69), nephew Christopher (1963–65) and grandson Lachlan (entered 1980). Alan died on 29 June 2005.

Russell Stuart McFarland (’35) was born at East Malvern on 10 November 1919 and attended Scotch from 1929 to 1935. He served as a gunner in the AIF from 1941–46, and was in the 1 Aust Naval Bombardment GP upon demobilisation. Russell married Thelma Connor at Scotch on 12 July 1947. His brothers attended Scotch – Patrick (1925–29; died 1 August 1990) Andrew (1925–29) and Ian (1929–34; died 14 June 2001) – as had their father, Stuart (1887–92; died 6 May 1944) and uncle Leslie (1887–91; died 1943). Russell’s grandfather, Joseph Wright Cade (1851–56; died January 1917), is believed to have started at Scotch on its first day – 6 October 1851. Joseph’s grandsons are Russell’s cousins: John (1925–28; died 16 November 1980) and David (1926–28; died 14 April 1989) Cade. Russell’s first cousin twice removed, Tom Cade, was School Captain in 2000. Russell died on 30 May 2005.

Clement Lyon Meadmore (’42) was born at Burwood on 9 February 1929, and attended Scotch from 21 April 1938 to August 1942, when he donned the colours of GC, which he attended until 1944. Despite undistinguished stints at both schools, he became a sculptor of international renown. Primarily known for his large abstract outdoor sculptures, his works are displayed around the world. One graces the courtyard on the south-west corner of Bourke and William streets. Although he spent most of his life in the USA, he remained very Australian, as evidenced by the quirky names given to many sculptures: one horizontal U-shaped sculpture with an overhanging top edge was called Hangover. Clement died at New York, New York, USA, on 20 April 2005.

Walter Matthews Medbury (’36) was born at Oakleigh on 28 January 1919, and attended Scotch from 1931–36. At Scotch he was known as Snow or Snowy for his white hair. Like his father, he became a master builder. He married Jean Cameron McColl at Scotch on 25 January 1947. Walter died on 31 December 2004.

Leslie Graham Monk (’47). Further to the obituary in the last issue of Great Scot, the following has been contributed by his family: Leslie was born on 6 May 1930 and attended Scotch from 1941–1947. In his eulogy for Graham, his great friend Rick Altson (’47) recalled Graham’s days at Scotch during which he was a Class and Form Captain and an accomplished sportsman, as well as his many achievements in life. Graham maintained close friendships with many of his Scotch friends until he died, was very fond of his old classmates and immensely proud of his years at Scotch. Other speakers at Graham’s funeral spoke of his devotion to family and friends, the respect in which he was held by business associates, his charity work and in particular, his warmth, friendship and boundless sense of humour. Graham’s brother Bill (1934–38; died 2 January 1999) was a Scotch boy, as were his nephews Ian Monk 1960–66), and Peter (1956–67), Anthony (1958–69), David (1962–73) and Geoff Bell (1964–76). His great nephews Adrian (1987–98) and Nicholas Monk (1989–2000) also attended Scotch, as do James (Year 10) and Lachlan Bell (Year 8). He is survived by his second wife Margaret, his four children from his first marriage – Steve, Roger, Peter and Mandy – and their families. Graham died on 15 October 2004.

Humphrey Gray Morris (’25) was born at Ipswich, Qld, on 16 April 1908 and boarded at Scotch from 1921–23. He started at Scotch’s new Hawthorn campus, but in 1922 moved to the old East Melbourne campus. Humphrey enlisted in the AIF on 3 November 1939, and served until 1945, when he was demobilised as a Private in the Australian Division. Humphrey’s brother, Ivor (1923; died August 1995), was also at Scotch. Humphrey returned to live in QLD, but his whereabouts were unknown to Scotch until a recent effort to locate all missing Old Boys. Unbeknown to Scotch, he was amongst our top ten oldest Old Boys. Unfortunately, this discovery was made long after his death in Qld on 3 October 2004, aged 96.

James Hunter Murray (’45) was born on 5 August 1929, and boarded at Scotch from 1943–45. He married Margery J. Enniss at Scotch on 3 May 1958. James’ son, James, boarded at Scotch in School House from 1986–89. James Sr was a primary producer. His grandson, Thomas Sutton, is in Year 11. James Sr died on 23 February 2004.

Anthony Richard Odgers (’56) was born on 26 July 1938, and attended Scotch from 1953–56, having spent 1950–52 at HC. He married Helen Margaret Lund at Scotch on 21 February 1964. Anthony died on 24 May 2004.

Ian Robert Permezel (’50) was born on 11 December 1932 and attended Scotch from 1945–50. He was a member of the First XV and the Fourth VIII. In 1951 he joined the stockbroking firm of Tolhurst, Henley, Munckton and Co. Ian married Judith Mary Carroll at Molong, NSW, on 9 December 1961, and later married Susana. He obtained his BCom at Melbourne University in 1961, and in 1966 became President of the Melbourne Junior Chamber of Commerce. Ian was a trustee of the RMIT Foundation from 1994, a member of the Rotary Club of Melbourne from 1981, President of the RMIT Council from 1975–76, a member of the RMIT Council from 1968–88, and Vice-President of the World Federation of Therapeutic Communities from 1988–93. He was the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Development) of RMIT. Among Ian’s relations at Scotch were his brother Rodney (1947–51), grandfather Amedee George Samuel Alexandre Clark Permezel (1877–85; died 22 June 1933), and great uncle Edouard Holroyd Georges Alfred Louis Alphonse Permezel (1876–82; died 28 July 1919). Ian died on 21 June 2005.

William Picken

William Ian Picken (’37) was born at Armadale on 11 July 1920, and attended Scotch from 1934–37. Ian was a member of the 1937 First XI, and of the Second XVIII. Ian obtained his BEngSc at Melbourne University in 1941, and his BMechE in 1946. He served in the AIF from 1942–45, and was a Captain in the 328 Australian Light Aid Detachment upon discharge. On 15 January 1944 he married Janet McLay in Brisbane. Ian was a member of Rotary (Prahran) from 1970–97, an MCC member from 1936, an IE Aust member from 1939, and a Kingston Heath Golf Club member from 1976. He was a member of the Old Scotch Collegians’ Lodge. His brother, John, was also at Scotch (1934–38). Ian died on 9 July 2005.

Scott Charles Powell (’89) was born on 6 October 1971, and attended Scotch from 1984–89. He was a member of Littlejohn House and played basketball. His family described him as being a ‘people person’ who loved his days at Scotch, and the friends he made. He particularly enjoyed Scotch at Cowes. Scott died suddenly on 17 December 2004.

David Ronald Reid (’60) was born on 18 May 1942, and attended Scotch from 1951–60. He married Kaye and had two children. David’s father, Alan (1920–27; died 5 February 1980) attended Scotch, as did his uncle Ron (1918–21; died 8 December 1987), and his great great uncle Sir George Houston Reid (1854–58; died 13 September 1918), who was Prime Minister of Australia in 1904. David died on 2 July 2005.

James Rule (’32) was born at Adelaide on 22 October 1916, and attended Scotch from 1927–32. He married Frances Elden at Scotch on 16 July 1945. His son, Ron (1958–63), left Scotch when the family moved to Adelaide in 1964. James’ brother, Leigh (1929–36), was a pioneering Carey boy who was killed in a flying accident in Queensland in WWII on 16 April 1945, following extensive RAAF operational service. James’ nephews, Tony (1952–62) and Christopher (1956–65) Sargeant, attended Scotch, as did his great nephews Peter (1985–90) and Gavin (1987–92) Sargeant. James died in South Australia on 27 April 2005.

Graham Percival Russell (’37) was born at Elsternwick on 7 March 1919 and left Camberwell Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1935–37. He was 1936 Class Captain of VLL–VLLL, and a member of the 1937 First XVIII and Tennis teams. Graham enlisted in the RAN on 25 September 1939, and was demoblised on 21 November 1945 as a Lieutenant on the HMAS Lonsdale. On 13 January 1945 he married Betty Shillabeer at Scotch. She survives him, as do his son Grahram, and daughter Mrs. Elizabeth M. Collins, who wrote to inform that his Scotch cap has pride of place in her house. Graham died in the Hollywood Private Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia on 16 October 2003.

David William Simpson Scholes OAM DFC (’41) was born at Ivanhoe on 29 January 1923 and attended Scotch from 1929–41. He was a member of the 1940 and 1941 First XV, and was a 1941 House Prefect and Collegian editorial committee member. David served in the RAAF as a bomber pilot from 1942–45. He was awarded the DFC following an October 1944 raid on Nuremberg, from which 97 aeroplanes failed to return. His Lancaster was hit, but he nursed it home with a crash landing. On 12 January 1946 he married Patricia Nelson at Scotch. After a three-year commercial art course at Swinburne, they moved to Launceston, where he became a successful commercial artist for Tasmanian and national firms, including Cadbury. Fly fishing was his obsession, and among his many highly-regarded books on the subject were Fly-fisher in Tasmania (1961) and The Way of an Angler (1963). With others he founded the Fly Fishers Club of Tasmania in 1955, and became its patron. Despite being diagnosed with MS in 1960, he continued to fly-fish from a hand-controlled car. After retiring in 1975, he developed his skills as a watercolourist and held sell-out exhibitions. David had four children and seven grandchildren, but also supported five children in Africa and India. David’s brother John (1925–37; died 23 November 1994) also attended Scotch. A daughter, Maryanne Scholes Whyte, wrote that David spoke fondly of his time at Scotch, and particularly of playing rugby for Scotch. David died on 25 May 2005, and his life’s work was acknowledged in the Tasmanian Parliament.

Roderick Vaughan Scott (’38) was born at Korumburra on 23 September 1920 and boarded at Scotch in McMeckan House from 1936 to May 1938. He married Mona E. Cooper at Scotch on 14 January 1950. Rod was a construction supervisor with the Department of Construction in Canberra, and shot clay targets as a hobby. Rod died on 11 June 2005.

Russell Malcolm Scott (’81) was born at Barham, NSW, on 30 April 1964, and boarded at Scotch in Arthur Rob from 1978–80. He followed in the footsteps of his father, Stuart, as both a farmer and a Scotch boy (1953–54). Russell’s brother, Peter (1984–86), also attended Scotch, as did his cousins, John Scott (1973–75) and James Lyons (1964–67), uncle Richard (1946–48), grandfather William (1915–17; died 1 May 1985), and great uncles Russell (1921–22; died 2 April 2003) and Alfred (1923–26; died 22 June 1984). Russell died on 1 October 2004.

Keith Skinner (’42) was born at Essendon on 15 November 1926, and left Trinity GS to attend Scotch from 1935–42. He was a 1936 Junior School Form Captain. Keith married Loris A. Williams at Scotch on 24 February 1953, and is survived by her. Keith died on 29 April 2005.

Alan David Skurrie (’34) was born at Brunswick on 30 May 1917, and attended Scotch from 1932 to 19 March 1934, when he left to work for an insurance company. He married Joan Kirwood at Scotch on 9 February 1940, and later married Philomena. In 1941 he obtained his BCom at Melbourne University, then served in the AIF from 1942–45, being discharged as a Captain in the Directorate of Armament MGO Branch LHQ. A company director, he was a director of Amcor 1977–89 (Chairman 1984–89), Hong Kong Bank (Australia) (chairman 1985–94), Cadbury Schweppes 1985–92 (chairman 1989–92), Mayne Nickless 1985–89, Perpetual Trustees 1984–89, and chairman of the Microsurgery Foundation 1985–92. He was a member of the Peninsula Country Golf Club, the Australia Club, and the MCC. Alan died at the Epworth Hospital on 16 July 2005.

Warren Maxwell Small (’50) was born on 4 March 1936, and attended Scotch from 1944–50. Warren died on 1 March 2003.

Roy Gordon Spratt (’38) was born at Kew on 20 July 1921, and attended Scotch from 1934–38. He was a 1938 Probationer. Roy married at Scotch on 7 December 1946. Besides his grandson, Roy’s brother, Albert (1930–34; died 1 August 1993) and nephew David (1993–98) were also at Scotch. The following was provided by his daughter: Roy passed away on 8 May 2005 after a short illness. After being joint Dux of School, Roy went onto the University of Melbourne where he completed a B.A and B Sc(Hons). He held many and varied positions during his career in the Public Service, spanning over 40 years. The Post Office was the start and the Department of Foreign Affairs his last position before retirement. Visiting the Antarctic, Asia, Africa and the Pacific were highlights of his career. He is survived by his wife, Millie, sons Robert and Grant and daughter Laurine (Symington) and grandchildren David, Carolyn, Scott (Symington, 1989–92) and Cristy.

Ronald Bruce Stanistreet (’37) was born at Bendigo on 26 June 1921 and attended Scotch from 1934–37. He was married to Zella for 60 years, and lived at Golden Square. Ronald died on 31 March 2005.

Kenneth Machin Stevens (’33) was born at Hawthorn on 5 November 1917 and attended Scotch in 1933, having earlier been at Melbourne HS. His family adds this further information: Kenneth Machin Stevens attended Scotch for the Intermediate year. After leaving school he worked in a clerical capacity while studying accountancy, qualifying in 1939. In 1939 Ken joined the 6 Division Intelligence Section of the AIF, serving in Palestine, Egypt, Libya, Greece, Crete, Syria, Australia and New Guinea as a cipher officer and attaining the rank of Captain. On 4 January 1945 he married Dorothy Blackett and they subsequently had two children, Wendy and Garth. After the war, Ken practised as an insurance loss adjuster, becoming a Fellow of the Loss Adjusters Institute of Victoria and later a Fellow and Life Member of the Australasian Institute of Chartered Loss Adjusters where he served on the Council for 17 years continuously in the office of Treasurer, President and Secretary. Ken was a member of the Rotary Club of Camberwell for 40 years, a keen tennis player and angler, and in retirement, his hobby was woodturning and the making of hundreds of toys for under-privileged children. Ken died on 22 April 2005.

Peter Garry Sturgess (’38) was born at Hampton on 28 December 1923 and attended Scotch in 1938, coming from Melbourne HS. He served the AIF from 1942–46, and was a gunner in the 2/1 Australian Composite Anti-Aircraft Regiment upon demobilisation. Pete’s brother Donald (1933–35; died 10 July 1992) was also at Scotch. Peter died on 15 July 2005.

Dr Peter Robert Sullivan (’65) was born at Kew on 9 June 1948 and attended Scotch from 1962–65. After working as a medical practitioner in Victoria, he moved to Western Australia to practise there. Also at Scotch were his brother Dr Mark (1960–63; died 19 October 1995), and nephews Toby (1986–91) and Luke (1989–94). During preparations for the Class of 1965’s 40-year reunion, Scotch was informed Dr. Sullivan died some time ago. He was living at Inglewood, Western Australia, when he died on 28 April 1979.

Harold Frederick Ternes (’29) was born at Albury NSW on 9 October 1913, and attended Scotch from 1926–29. Also at Scotch were his brother Lionel (1926–30), and nephews Barry (1956–60) and Colin (1962–67). His family supplied the following information: Harold Frederick Ternes was the older brother of Lionel and June. Harry to his friends was a highly educated man attending Scotch from 1926 to 1929. His main hobby and sport at Scotch was rowing which he enjoyed immensely. During WW2 Harry was required to stay in Australia to help develop and maintain radar equipment on board our ships and aircraft when radar was just in its infancy. After the war there were only three vacancies for the whole of Australia, when he passed the entrance exam and began work at the Post Master Generals Dept. Through hard work he was then promoted to senior technical officer in charge of the Government Research Laboratories in Melbourne. Television came to Australia around the time the Olympic Games were to be held in Melbourne in 1956. He started work with the ABC TV. It was during his work setting up communications links for this event that Harry met his much adored wife, Collis, on Flinders Island. They moved the family home to Hampton in 1958 and this is where he spent his years raising his family with Collis, producing two children Andrew in 1959 and Jane in 1962. Harry’s specialty was televising live sporting events. It was after televising the Stawell Gift in 1970 that he had a stroke, which forced him into early retirement. Harry, being of extremely strong will, rehabilitated and built an extension to his home, enjoyed fishing and travelling around Australia. Health worried Harry in his last years. With Collis passing away in May 2001, he spent his days alone. With his two children living interstate he relied upon his neighbour and best mate, Brian Cantlon, and his wife Nell to help him stay in his family home, living very independently. To his credit, Harry kept himself in good order and maintained his home despite ailing health. Right up to the end Harry retained his intellect, his mind was as clear as a bell and his renowned fighting spirit never deserted him. Harry commanded respect from his peers and gave love to his friends and family. Harry died on 9 September 2004 aged 90 years, after suffering another stroke. He passed away peacefully at Sandringham Hospital.

David Andrew Mountford Wark (’56) was born on 27 June 1939, and attended Scotch from Nauru from 1951–56. His brother, Ian (1961–64) was also at Scotch. The following information has been given to Scotch: Each year he took prizes as Dux of his year and won Dux of French in his final year. He proceeded to Melbourne University where he took his BSc and Diploma of Education and taught for three years in Victoria before heading to Zambia to teach. There he married Margaret, a nurse, and they travelled to England and Canada where David taught. On his return to Australia, he was fortunate to secure a research assistant post in the Geology Department at Melbourne University and thus began a lifelong interest in mineralogy. He gained his doctorate and, as this was the period of the moon landings, was able to work on samples and discovered a new mineral, tranquillityite. His thoroughness in research won him positions with NASA in Tucson, Arizona and later in Mainz, Germany where he acquired fluency in that language.

Back in Melbourne again, his international standing was acknowledged by his admission as a Fellow of the Mineralogical Society and his proudest achievement was his discovery of the Wark-Lovering rims, a significant contribution to the study of meteors. He published over 70 papers on his work and was a frequent presenter at conferences. Shortly after his second marriage, he found he had cancer. Despite this he managed to continue his research, combined with a return to a teaching career. Even when he was forced to resign from teaching, he drove himself to write and research for as long as he was able. He died at home, as he wished, on 8 June 2005.

Kenneth McDonnell

Kenneth McDonell Western (’49). Further to the obituary in the last issue of Great Scot, S. Bruce McKenzie (’50) writes the following: Ken was born on 7 August 1932 and sadly died suddenly on 5 March 2005. He lived his childhood years in Camberwell and after leaving Camberwell Central School, attended Scotch from 1945 to 1949. He married Alison (née Smith) on 22 August 1957. Alison survives him together with their children, Karen, Rick (1975–80), David (1981–1986) and Julia, plus seven grandsons to all of whom Ken was most devoted and proud. At Scotch, he was Captain of underage cricket teams and a member of the First XI in 1948 and 1949. He represented his House, Lawson McFarland, in the 1a’s in both cricket and football. He was also Form Captain in the 7th and 9th forms and a CSM in the Cadets. After leaving Scotch, Ken actively pursued his devotion to sport, participating in cricket, tennis and golf. He played cricket for the Reporter and Bennettswood Cricket clubs well into his forties. Tennis was also a favourite for Ken where his deft and cagey play lead to many successes at Willison Park Tennis Club. For a period, he was a member of Kingwood Health Golf Club and more recently was a member of the Box Hill Golf Club where he was again really starting to enjoy his golf. His membership of the MCC gave him great pleasure and he rarely missed a cricket match or a Melbourne Football Club game. His favourite spot at the MCG was the Balcony and Long Room where he made many friends. From here he also always gave the umpires and coaches plenty of advice. On the vocation field, he was a qualified accountant, joining Broken Hill South early in his career, where he was promoted to company secretary. Ken transferred to CRA as assistant company secretary when BH South was taken over. In 1987, Ken was appointed Head Accountant for Paraquad Victoria, where he remained until his retirement in 2002. For many years, he dedicated his personal time to many charities and service organisations performing the annual audits. His life of service to others was highlighted through his long and dedicated involvement in Lions International. His outstanding and dedicated service to so many of the wonderful humanitarian programs performed under the banner of Lions International was incredible. His performance, leadership and enthusiasm were looked upon with great admiration and respect by many people all around Australia.

He was recognised with numerous awards including Life Membership of Lions International, Life Governor of the Victorian Lions Foundation, Life Governor of the Lions Village at Licola, plus the Melvin Jones Award for service to the community, just to name a few. Early this year, Ken was the worthy recipient of the Deakin Community Australia Day Award 2005. Ken’s life will continue to be an inspiration and encouragement to all who had the pleasure to have been touched by his special qualities. His friends from many walks of life mourn his passing.

George Harrison Wigley (’32) was born at Kensington on 3 April 1916 and attended Scotch from 1928–32 as a weekly boarder. He served in the AIF from 1940–42 as a Private in the Australian Army Services Corps 4 Division, then served the RAAF from 1942–46, being a leading aircraftman, Station HQ (Laverton) when discharged. George married Esme Bastow at Scotch on 6 March 1943. George died on 30 August 2004.

Bruce William Wilson (’48) was born at Canterbury on 16 November 1931, and attended Scotch from 1944–48. A cadet and member of the Second XVIII, he returned to Scotch for his marriage to Elizabeth A. Taylor on 13 November 1954. She survives him, as do three daughters and nine grandchildren. Bruce worked for Ludlows Retailers, of King Street, Melbourne. Bruce’s twin brother, Maxwell, was also at Scotch (1944–48). Bruce died at the Epworth Hospital on 20 July 2005.

Obituaries are compiled by Paul Mishura (unless otherwise stated) from information held or obtained by Scotch College, or provided to Scotch College, and content is limited to this information. Scotch College is dependent upon the completeness and accuracy of information it holds or is supplied, and, while Scotch College takes all reasonable care in the compilation of obituaries, it cannot take responsibility for any actual or perceived errors or omissions.

Eulogies, obituaries and any other biographical information are welcomed, and must include exact date of death to permit publication. Information can be forwarded to Paul Mishura by emailing, by calling the Development Office on 9810 4300, faxing 9810 4334, or writing c/o Great Scot, 1 Morrison Street, Hawthorn, Victoria. 3122

Updated: Monday 24 June 2013