Great Scot Archive
Issues from 1998
Issues from 1998



ALLARD David Macdonald (’36)
BAKER Harry Geoffrey (’66)
BATES Leon Brooke (’39, staff 1960–87)
BEESON Douglas Basil (‘33)
BELL Anthony John (’40)
BELL Graham Harcourt (’43)
BENDIX Carl James (’65)
BENNETT Ian George Ferguson (’50)
BRAID Ian Leslie (’32)
BRUNDALL Laurance (’31)
BURNETT Peter Townsend Laurence (’39)
CALDOW Norman Jack (’31)
CARR John Alexander (’48)
CATTO Graeme John (’45)
CLARK Gordon Lloyd (’32)
COOPER Leonard Alan Hope (’74)
DODGSON Richmond Hume (’43)
DONALDSON Frank Blair (’33)
DUNN Ronald Henry (’45)
DYE Philip Godfrey (’36)
ELLERY John Mancell (’43)
FALK John Richard (’57)
FINDLAY Alan Neil (’58)
FORBES Walter Alexander (’27)
FRASER Thomas Alexander Simon (’48)
GILL Jeffrey Kenneth (’38)
GRANT Robert James (’53)
GRAY Gerald Berryman (’66)
HARDING Douglas David Livingstone (’42)
HARRISON Rev. Colin Arthur (’40)
HAYES Peter Ross QC (’66)
HINDS Alexander Earnest (’39)
HIPWELL John Buckland (’38)
IRVING Robert Kenneth (’29)
JAMIESON Geoffrey Robert (’46)
JOHNSON Stanley Bruce (’52)
JOHNSTON Colin Marmion (’29)
JONA Walter AM (’43)
KELLOCK John Frederick (‘33)
KELLY Vernon William (’50)
KENNETT Kenneth Munro Gibb (’39)
KING Edward Courtis (’33)
KING Roger John (’58)
KOMESAROFF Morris (’39)
LAMB Hayden Gravenor (’94)
LAMING Gregor Douglas (’49)
LAW James Maxwell (’48)
LOGIE SMITH George (Staff 1959–78)
MAGENNIS William Douglas (’37)
MASSEE Thomas (’53)
McDONALD Alexander Kenneth (’40)
McQUEEN Kelman (’43)
MENDEL Heinz Bernard (Staff 1941–77)
MULHOLLAND Peter John Francis (’60)
PEDERSEN Kris Vaughan (’98)
POLLARD George Reginald (’48)
POWELL John David (’45)
QUAIL Norman Peter (’42)
ROBERTSON James Lawrance (’35)
ROBERTSON Thomas Ernest Guyatt (Guy) (’32)
ROSENBLUM Peter Ivan (’37)
SHARPE David McKenzie (’49)
SIMMIE John Henry (’47)
SLOSS Dr. William Lister (’35)
THOM Bruce Hopkins (’32)
TONKIN Bertram Gardiner (’31)
WADDELL Reginald Rutherford (’34)
WARD OBE Harold John Millar (’39)
WILLIS Albert Alexander (’25)
WILSON Dr. Robert David (’43)
WOODSTOCK John Edward (’53)

David Macdonald ALLARD (’36) was born on 22 July 1917 and attended Scotch from 1925–34. He served in the AIF from 1941–46 and was a Gunner in the 2/14 Australian Field Regiment. During his war service he was mentioned in dispatches. On 17 January 1959 David married Mary Booley at Scotch. He was a dairy farmer. Other family members at Scotch were his brothers Sir Gordon (1920–26; died 15 October 1994), James (1927–37) and half brother John (1948–60) as well as cousin Peter Robin (1927–30), nephews Peter (1948–56) and Michael (1962–73) and great nephews Kip Allard (1979–88; died 15 May 1996) and the Thorn brothers, Edward (1990–98) and Nicholas (1996–2001). David died on 22 March 2007.

Harry Geoffrey BAKER (’66) was born on 2 March 1948 and attended Scotch from 1961–66. He was a member of the 1st XVIII in 1966, a cadet, and a House prefect of Monash House. He became a Mason, and had an interest in vintage cars, sailing, and golf. Along with his brother George (1959–64), Harry was in the middle generation of a three-generation Scotch family. Their father Bill (1934–35; died 8 August 2003) was the first of the family at Scotch, followed by their uncle Geoff (1936–38). He married Jennifer, and it was only natural Harry should send his sons Scott (1987–92) and Paul (1990–95) to Scotch, and saw his nephews Samuel (1986–93) and Tobias (1991–2000) also attend. Harry died on 19 June 2007. The following information was supplied by his family:

Harry came to Scotch in 1961 and immediately forged many friends. He was larger than life and was involved at School in rowing, football and cadets. He was a member of Okka Ferres’ notorious Iron Men team and later played 79 games at Old Scotch. Harry worked in stock broking, banking and in a large private company manufacturing webbing products. He joined the Sorrento Sailing Club as a young boy and was a very keen sailor all his life. He loved cars and was a Life Member of the Fiat Car Club. Harry developed motor neurone disease two years ago and fought bravely to the end. He is survived by his wife Jenny and sons and daughter Sally.

Leon Brooke BATES (’39 and staff 1960–87). See the feature obituary on page 90.

Douglas Basil BEESON (’33) was born at Auburn on 29 September 1918 and attended Scotch from 1927–34. He was a member of the Scotch Orchestra from 1932–34. Douglas served in the AIF in WW2 from 1942–45 and was a Warrant Officer Class 1 in the 4 Field Company. His brother Leonard was born at Chicago, Illinois, on 16 July 1913 and attended Scotch from 1922–28. Leonard died in 1978, but saw his son (Douglas’ nephew) Ian attend Scotch from 1952–55. Douglas died on 2 May 2007.

Anthony John BELL (’40) was born at Caulfield on 23 February 1925, the son of a teacher, and attended Scotch from 1939–40. He served in the RAAF in WW2 from 1943–46 and was a Leading Aircraftman in the AFHQ. He married Thelma Jean Roberts at St Peter’s Anglican Church in Weir Street, Brighton, on 10 January 1948 and they had three children, who all became teachers: Heather, Hamilton, and Ian. Anthony followed in his father’s footsteps and also became a teacher after obtaining his BA at Melbourne University in 1951 and his DipEd in 1963. He became a school principal, and was vice-president of Probus in Glen Eira. His other interests included ballroom dancing. He died on 29 March 2007.

Graham Harcourt BELL (’43) was born on 10 June 1928 and attended Scotch from 1940–43. He was the second of three brothers at Scotch; the others being James (1937–41; died 27 January 1998) and Norman (1941–45). Graham died on 19 April 2007.

Carl James BENDIX (’65) was born on 30 December 1946 and attended Scotch from 1956–64. He was a boarder in McMeckan (1956) and Arthur Rob (1961). On 30 September 1970 he married Robin Ann Acfield. Carl was the last survivor of the Bendix family at Scotch. His father Carl (1919) had died on 8 March 1959 when Carl Junior was only 12. His uncle Frederick attended in 1921 and died on 14 February 1989 and his brother Andrew was at Scotch from 1958–66, but died in a car accident on 6 October 1979 aged only 28. Carl’s wife died in 2001, and he died on 5 April 2007.

Ian George Ferguson BENNETT (’50) was born at Sandringham on 25 February 1932, the son of a civil engineer. He left Canterbury State School to attend Scotch from 1944–48. His parents had both died in 1940, with his father, a Scotch boy (1910–14), dying on 27 November 1940. Ian was a boarder in Arthur Rob. On Valentine’s Day 1959 at St Columbia’s Presbyterian Church in Balwyn he married Pamela Sinclair, whose brother John was also a Scotchie (1947–56). Also at Scotch was his cousin John Husband (1950–55). Ian became a wool classer with the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency, and later worked in a clerical position with BP Australia. Ian died on 17 April 2007. Scotch has been supplied the following obituary:

Ian was born to Wilfred Ferguson Bennett and Dorothy Gwendoline Bennett (née Sutterby). His father Wilfred (Bill) was a Lieutenant in the Australian Imperial Force having served in France in World War 1 and later became a civil engineer. Ian was accepted at Scotch College after losing both of his parents to ill health at the age of 8. Following his schooling, he worked initially as a wool classer and later as a clerk for BP Australia until he retired aged 58.

Ian and his wife lived in Forest Hill and had three children, Kenneth (deceased), Sally and Andrew. They moved to Vermont South in 1973. Ian was a grandfather to Sally’s children, Sarah and Megan (aged 14 & 11) and to Andrew’s children Tahlia and Holly (aged 7 & 5). We give thanks to God for the life of Ian; for his loving, quiet nature, his readiness to forgive, his supportive and encouraging ways as a husband, father and grandfather and for what he was able to contribute to our lives.

Ian Leslie BRAID (’32) was born at Essendon on 3 February 1915 and attended Scotch from 1929–30. His father was unable to pay the fees to keep Ian at Scotch, but his musical talent was good enough for Scotch to want to keep him at all costs. He was a member of the Scotch Orchestra in 1930 and 1934 in the days when Old Boys could belong to it. He continued his interest in music by obtaining his DipMus at Melbourne University in 1944, and worked for the ABC. From 1940–46 he served in the AIF and was awarded the South Africa Star following service in the Middle East including Tobruk. He was discharged as a Captain in the 2/1 Survey Regiment RAA. The war ended his aspirations to train as a concert pianist in Europe, but he played and composed music for most of his life, donating his compositions to the National Library. After a brief unhappy stint in a management position at Stott’s Business College in Sydney he moved his family in 1950 to the central coast of NSW. He became a successful share farmer and sent his sons to Scotch as boarders. He later bought a larger property (‘Bolong’), which he retained until retiring to Canberra in 2001. Along with his brothers Max (1933–36; died 1988) and Geoff (1943–46) he was the first of three generations of his family to attend Scotch. Ian married Lorna Winifred Candy on 5 May 1942 and their sons Ian (1954–60) and Andrew (1956–62) attended Scotch, as did Ian’s nephew Robert (1962–71) and Lavery great nephews James (1977–89) and Andrew (1980–92). Ian’s father-in-law was Charles William Albert Augustus Candy (1908–11; died 30 December 1981). Ian worked on ‘Bolong’ at Boorowa, NSW, as I.L. & L.W. Braid & Partners. He died on 9 May 2007, and his ashes were scattered at ‘Bolong’, which is now owned by a grandson.

Laurance BRUNDALL (’31) was born at Sydney on 25 October 1913 and attended Scotch from 1929–31 as a boarder in Leighwood, which was an old house that Scotch used to house boarders who were not in either McMeckan or School Houses. Laurance came to Scotch from the Loyola Academy in Chicago, USA. After leaving Scotch he returned to the USA, where he studied at the University of Chicago for his BSc. During his time there he spent some time in Yellowstone National Park, helping a PhD student with his thesis. In 1936 he was working for Shell Oil in Houston, Texas, as a field geologist in the midst of an oil boom in the area. He wrote to tell Scotch that failing the discovery of oil in Australia he was unlikely to return to it for a few years. Laurance remained with Shell in Texas until May 1942 when he joined the US Navy as a photographic intelligence officer. He was discharged with the rank of Lieutenant in 1945, and then co-founded Geophoto Services, which engaged in world-wide geological mapping for petroleum exploration. In 1951 he was living at Denver, Colorado, but in his last years he lived at Santa Barbara in California. Laurance died on 18 December 2006.

Peter Townsend Laurence BURNETT (’39) was born at Hove, United Kingdom, on 22 December 1920, the son of a civil engineer. He attended Scotch from 1934–40 as a day boarder. He joined the Melbourne University Rifles in 1941. Peter married Mary Cassie Johnson at Scotch on 7 September 1950. He died on 1 May 2007.

Norman Jack CALDOW (’31) was born at Winchelsea on 3 August 1915, the son of a grazier and stock and station agent. He attended Scotch from 1930–31, and his brother Lindsay ‘Len’ Allan Caldow attended from 1934–35. Len died in action in the RAAF in WW2 on 14 February 1944. Norman served in the AIF from 1939–44, and was a Gunner in the 2/4 ORD Tank Workshop. Norman lived at Forster, NSW, and died on 22 March 2007.

John Alexander CARR (’48) was born at Ivanhoe on 29 April 1931 and attended Scotch from 1945–48. On 11 August 1955 he married Dorothy I. Kelton at Scotch. Their sons followed John at Scotch: Stuart (1970–74), Russell (1970–75) and Alister (1972–77). John was a farmer and an accountant. He died on 2 April 2007.

Graeme John CATTO (’45) was born at Rheola via Inglewood, Victoria, the son of an orchardist, on 5 February 1930 and attended Scotch from 1944–45. Graeme’s relations at Scotch included Simpson cousins Ian (1942–45; died 13 December 2005), Gordon (1943–47) and Neil (1945–48), and John Catto, his second cousin twice removed. John was a significant Scotch sportsman who played in the 1st XI from 1869–71, captaining the last two years, played in the 1st XX (as it then was: now the 1st XVIII) from 1868–71 captaining the last two years, and stroked the 1st IV (as it then was) from 1869–71, winning the second Head of the River (as it is now known) in 1869. John was also a nifty dancer who tore up the dance floor to win a cricket ball as Captain of the Floor and Scotch’s best dancer for 1869. Graeme produced this cricket ball at a Scotch reunion in 2005. John died at London, United Kingdom on 5 February 1926, having been long connected with Loddon in Victoria, just as Graeme was, living at Bridgewater on Loddon. Graeme married Barbara Elizabeth, and died on 21 June 2007.

Gordon Lloyd CLARK (’32) was born at Echuca on 10 April 1916 and was a weekly boarder at Scotch from 1928–32. In 1931 and 1932 he was a Class Captain, and he returned to Echuca after leaving Scotch, being based there in 1951. He served in the AIF in WW2 from 1941–45 and was a Driver in the 2 Australian L/C Recovery Section AAOC. Also at Scotch were his brothers Jack (1917–20), Reginald (1920–22; died 1968), Keith (1922–23; died 1977) and Raymond (1928–31). Gordon lived at Montrose and died on 14 June 2007.

Leonard Alan Hope COOPER (’74) was born at East Melbourne on 23 October 1956 and attended Scotch from 1970–73. He was a member of Lawson-MacFarland House, and continued his involvement in drama and Scotch plays into becoming the director of the Spectrum Theatre Company. He was a member of the MCC. Scotch has recently been informed by Scotch Foundation Secretary Astrida Cooper (no relation) that he died on 9 February 1999 at Prahran.

Richmond Hume DODGSON (’43) was born on 7 May 1926 attended Scotch from 1941–43. He had attended Glamorgan from 1934–35. He was the son of Old Boy and Australian Army Major Percy (1898–1901; died 21 April 1944), and the brother of James (1941–47). Dick died on 5 July 2007. The following obituary has been received from his brother James:

Richmond (Dick) Hume Dodgson was born at Queenscliff in Victoria in 1926. The family moved to Brisbane in 1935, later returning to Melbourne in 1940. He played football and was in the Air Training Corps. In 1944 Dick joined the RAAF and served as a leading aircraftsman in the South Pacific on the island of Morotai until his discharge in 1946. In 1947 he moved to Hobart where he married Pauline Abbott and had two daughters. He joined the Hutchins Old Boys football team and played for many years, winning the best and fairest award. Dick became a Freemason in 1954 and received a 50-year Membership Jewell in 2005. He was the organist from 1975 to 2004 and was the first mason at Lodge Beltana to be installed as a Worshipful Master for two years in succession. He had many interests including playing basketball, squash and golf, building and flying radio-controlled aeroplanes and restoring and French polishing antique furniture. He worked in the insurance industry until his retirement in 1986. He was a devoted grandfather of four grandchildren. Dick died in Hobart on 5 July 2007 after a long illness.

Frank Blair DONALDSON (’33) was born at Penzance, United Kingdom, on 18 April 1917, the son of a doctor, and boarded at Scotch from 1930–33. His two younger brothers also attended Scotch: George (1934–37) and Robert (1938–40). Frank served in the RAAF from 1940–46 and was a Flight Lieutenant at the Station HQ at Laverton. Frank died on 19 June 2007.

Ronald Henry DUNN (’45) was born at Lancefield, Victoria, on 18 November 1928, the son of Old Boy Dr Victor Henry Lavington Dunn (1912–16; died 30 October 1947). Ronald attended Scotch from 1942–45 and was a member of the athletics teams of 1943 and 1944. He married Helen Jean Crooks on 8 January 1955 and was a jackeroo and accountant. Ronald’s three brothers were also at Scotch: John (1940–46), Max (1949–52) and Geoff (1953–56). Also at Scotch were his uncle Max (1913–17; died 17 August 1966), cousin Ian (1956–61) and first cousin once removed Patrick (1991). Ronald died on 29 April 2007.

Philip Godfrey DYE (’36) was born on 17 May 1919 at Port Elizabeth, South Africa, the son of a United States consul. Along with his two brothers – John (1931–33) and George (1931–34; died 10 January 2005) – he attended Scotch from 1931. He was a 1935 Class Captain, a member of the 1935 swimming team, and a member of the 1st XV in 1936. He left in 1936 and eventually went to the USA. In his final years he lived at San Diego, California, and died on 30 April 2006.

John Mancell ELLERY (’43) was born at Armadale on 19 March 1924 and left Trinity Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1934–43. During this period he left Scotch on 11 December 1935 to attend the Swiss–German school at Lugano in Switzerland, and returned to Scotch in 1937. In 1943 he was a member of the Ninth. John died on 6 July 2007.

John Richard FALK (’57) was born at Newhaven, Connecticut, USA, on 15 February 1941, the son of a university lecturer, and attended Scotch from 1950–57. His brother James (1952–64) was also at Scotch, as was his cousin, Adrian Cohen (1957–68) and Cohen uncles Geoffrey (1922–25; died 11 November 1988) and Sir Edward (1926–30). John deliberately failed matriculation at Scotch and took off to north Queensland to become a fisherman for two years. This experience focused him and he returned to Melbourne, putting himself through night school, and studied civil engineering. His first engineering job was helping design the water wall and water jet mechanism at the National Gallery of Victoria. He enrolled at the Harvard Business School to study for an MBA. At the end of his first year, 1969, with results in the top 2%, he won a Baker Scholarship. In 1970 he married Robin Matheson at Killara, NSW. In 1972 John was recruited by CRA and quickly climbed through its ranks, running the Hail Creek coal prospect in Queensland and Dampier Salt in Western Australia. He was in charge of developing Australia’s largest diamond find, near Lake Argyle in the Kimberley, when his career came to a halt. On election day 1979, whilst pruning at home at Armadale, he fell from a ladder, spent 6 months in coma, and suffered brain damage. He was not expected to survive, but with considerable determination he had to learn again how to do the most basic of things. He never did paid work again, but did work for disability foundation R.E. Ross House’s finance council. He enjoyed such delights as classical music, art and wine. He had another serious fall, suffering further brain damage, and never regained consciousness. John died on 6 June 2007.

Alan Neil FINDLAY (’58) was born at Surrey Hills on 9 July 1942, the son of a banker, and attended Scotch from 1956–58. He married Barbara Joan Barrow at Scotch on 18 May 1968 and their son Michael attended Scotch from 1991–96. Alan’s brothers were at Scotch: Graham (1953–55) and Max (1959–64), as was his nephew Peter (1982–90), who was School Captain in 1990. Alan worked in banking as a general manager. He died on 12 June 2007.

Walter Alexander FORBES (’27) was born at Eddington, Victoria, on 21 March 1910, the son of a commission agent. He boarded at Scotch in McMeckan from 1926–27, and was a founding member of McMeckan, which opened its doors in 1926, following the closure of Scotch East Melbourne campus, and the completion of the move to Hawthorn. He was a McMeckan prefect in term 3, 1927. Walter became a flour miller, and sent his sons to board at Scotch: Ian (1956–59) and Greg (1958–61). His great nephew Andrew Buck (1990–91) was also at Scotch. He served in the AIF from 1942–45 and was a Private in the 15 Battalion VDC Bendigo. Walter was the 10th oldest living Old Boy before his death on 7 June 2007 aged 97.

Thomas Alexander Simon FRASER (’48) was born on 26 August 1929 and attended Scotch from 1937–48. Simon was a 1941 Junior School Form Captain and member of the Junior School football team. He was 1945 Form Captain of Intermediate Mathematics, 1946 Form Captain of VIII Literature, and he was a 1948 Probationer. He continued his service to Scotch as Secretary of OSCA in Adelaide in 1968. Simon’s brothers were at Scotch: John (1937–41; died 19 May 1944 when his aeroplane vanished in the Canadian Rockies during RAAF training in WW2. No trace of the aeroplane was ever found) and Keith (1937–41; died 31 October 1976). Simon’s nephew, John Chambers (1948–57), was at Scotch, as were his second cousins, the Macdonald brothers John (1931–36) and Donald (1937–41). Simon lived at Glenside, South Australia, and died on 26 October 2006.

Jeffrey Kenneth GILL (’38) was born at Camberwell on 26 February 1923, the son of a manufacturer. He attended Scotch from 1933–38, and was a member of the under 11 football team in 1933. Jeffrey was a jackeroo for Goldsborough Mort before WW2. From 1941–43 he was in the Army Service Corp Ambulance, and was in Darwin when it was bombed in 1942, after which he went to PNG, where he was a patrol officer after the war. In 1948 he married Nereda Anne Hudson, and they moved to Ferntree Gully in 1949, where he was still living in 2004. He was a member of the Knox Council and was a real-estate agent and shoe store proprietor. Jeffrey’s brother Peter (1933–36; died 13 November 1974) was at Scotch, as were his grandsons, the Price brothers Nicholas (1982–87) and Trent (1989–94). Jeffrey died on 11 July 2007.

Robert James GRANT (’53) was born at Shepparton on 26 April 1934 and attended Geelong College from 1947–49 before moving to Scotch for 1950–53. He married Judy Ann Pullman at Scotch on 14 May 1968 and their son James attended Scotch in 1986. Father and son moved to Geelong College in 1987, where Bob established the Geelong College Foundation Office, and James attended until 1993. Bob died on 25 June 2007 and a full obituary by Dick Briggs can be found on page 87.

Gerald Berryman GRAY (’66) The following obituary was prepared by Jillian Gray:

Gerald Berryman Gray, generally known as Gerry Gray, was born on 10 February 1948 in East Melbourne. His father, Bruce Gray, was educated at Scotch College (1931–39) and his sisters were educated at Clyde and St Margaret’s schools. Following Bruce’s death on 27 February 1962, the Gray family donated a clock to Scotch as a memorial to him

Apart from the year in Cornwall, Gerry was educated at Scotch College (1954–1966). His school years were a source of great fun, experience and learning. Although Gerry was not particularly academically inclined, he loved just about everything that was offered to him at Scotch and the school provided him with a form of stability that was missing in his life. His favourite subject was history, which became a life-long interest. He collected books, including very early publications related to sailing. As an adult, Gerry could name staff members from the Junior School, recount stories about masters, and tales of the boarding house. He particularly enjoyed all of the sporting opportunities that were offered at Scotch, especially in the Senior School, and he participated in a wide variety of sports, finding his niche in competitive swimming. He carried this love of sport with him all through his life.

Gerry’s mother decided to visit England, so, for a year when he was fifteen, he lived with his aunt, uncle and two cousins who also attended Scotch College. Given life’s circumstances, Gerry left Scotch College in Year 11 (1966) and joined the ANZ bank. His mother became homesick and in January 1968 she returned to Cornwall permanently. It was the era of Vietnam and conscription in Australia, so it was sensible for him to return to England with his mother and sister.

Gerry trained in computer programming and worked in London for the Ford Motor Company. Gerry was one of the original St Ives’ surfers and he designed and built surfboards. At Zennor he met Alannah Craze and they married on 31 December 1969. They lived in Zennor and he returned to banking in nearby Penzance. Gerry’s children with Alannah were Susannah and John. Gerry’s interests included local parochial, parish and sporting committees, and having great success in local and national championships in sailing Ospreys. He purchased Chykembro Farm in Zennor in the early 1980s, renovated it, and raised herds of milking cows and beef cattle. In 1993 Alannah was diagnosed with leukaemia and died in February 1994.

During a trip back to Australia later in 1994, Gerry re-connected with Jillian Rodd, his girlfriend from his teenage years in Melbourne. They married in London on 12 June 1995. Gerry’s early retirement helped them realise many of their exotic travel dreams.

In November 2003 Gerry was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer with secondary bone cancer. He faced up to his illness with his characteristic good humour, courage and dignity. He cherished every minute of his increasingly narrow and poor quality of life with hope and optimism and, right to the end, was adding to and reading his impressive collection of books and other literature. Sadly, Gerry died on Friday 15 June 2007 having spent a month for pain management in St Peters’ Hospice Bristol.

Douglas David Livingstone HARDING (’42) was born at Malvern on 14 July 1924 and attended Scotch from 1931–42. He was a member of the 1936 Junior School cricket team, and vice captain of it in 1937. He was a member of the 1st XI from 1940–42, with premierships in 1941 and 1942; the last one being under this captaincy. Doug was a member of the premiership 1942 1st XVIII. He was 1939 Class Captain of VIc, and 1941 Class Captain of VIII Commercial. In 1942 he was House Captain of Monash, and was a Probationer. Doug married Sylvia M. Finney at Scotch on 21 March 1951. In 1960 he was elected to the Melbourne Stock Exchange. Doug died peacefully on Thursday 12 July 2007 after a long illness. The following obituary was provided by 1942 School Captain Laurie Muir:

Doug arrived in the Senior School with Tom Hogg and others from the Junior School in 1938. His skill as a cricketer was already well known and he was appointed Captain of the under 14A team. He was a specialist opening batsman and an excellent slip fielder. In 1941 and 1942 he scored centuries in both years. In 1941 he won the school batting average. In 1942 he was an effective and very accurate half forward in Doug Heywood’s champion first eighteen.

In his spare time Doug was a junior golf champion and in later life he held the record for the number of times he appeared in the Metropolitan Golf Club A Grade Men’s Championship Final. He played pennant golf for over 20 years. Doug was also a good student and like his father before him he specialised in accounting and commercial subjects. At the end of 1942, like many 18-year-old Scotch Collegians, he joined the Royal Australian Navy for four years of wartime service in the Pacific Theatre.

In 1946 he commenced a commerce degree at the University of Melbourne linking up with Doug Heywood, Al Keam and, in 1947, Tom Hogg. He became a leading member of the University Golf Team and was awarded a University Blue for golf. He played pennant cricket with Hawthorn East Melbourne for many years. After graduation Doug joined the share broking house of Vinton Smith, Dean and Dougall, becoming a partner in the mid-1950s. On retirement almost 50 years later he was a doyen of the stock exchange.

Doug Harding was for many years a leading member of The Australian Club. He was an excellent bridge player and as a teacher was able to introduce many members and friends to the game. He was a modest, warm and friendly gentleman who upheld traditional Australian family values.

Doug married Sylvia in the early 1950s and they had two lovely daughters. Sadly Sylvia died in the mid-1970s. However, Doug was rescued from his despair when he married April approximately 25 years ago. April nursed Doug through his long period of illness. Her family and Doug’s have been wonderful in their support of Doug and April.

Those of us who played under-age cricket or football with Doug have fond and vivid memories of our three most prominent supporters, Dr Melville, Dr Robertson and Frank Harding, who never missed a game. We have even fonder memories of D. D. L. Harding, a model sportsman, a great leader and a dedicated Scotch Collegian. Almost 70 years of his friendship has enriched my life.

Rev. Colin Arthur HARRISON (’40) was born 23 September 1924 and attended Scotch from 1938–40. His brother Donald (1942) was also at Scotch. Colin served in the RAAF from 1942–46, and was a Corporal in the 34 Squadron Parafield. Colin followed in his father’s footsteps by becoming a Presbyterian Minister. He was Deputy Clerk from 1974–84, and Moderator of the General Assembly from 1981–82. He married Shirley and had four daughters. Colin died on 30 April 2007. His widow provided the following obituary:

Colin was a son of the Manse, and entered Scotch College after winning three bursaries, when his father was minister of Chalmers Presbyterian Church, Auburn. Later he worked at the Bank of New South Wales in Melbourne in the Investigations Branch. Colin enlisted in the RAAF and served as a wireless mechanic, spending time overseas at Morotai. On return he met Shirley at Chalmers Church and they were married in 1947, settling in Box Hill, where Colin became very involved in the Presbyterian Church and felt a strong call to enter the ministry. As a student minister he served at Cowes and Campbellfield – Fawkner, training at Ormond College Theological Hall. He graduated with honours and was ordained at Port Augusta, South Australia, in 1956. Later he served at Presbyterian churches in Wodonga, Ballarat, Bendigo and Williamstown. During his ministry, Colin conducted many youth camps and for a time was Probation Officer, helping young people onto the right path. He was often Presbytery Clerk and was Deputy Clerk of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria for 20 years. Colin leaves his wife Shirley, four daughters and their families, who will remember how Colin enjoyed his family life, his work and his many friends. Colin could have said, like Mark Twain, ‘I never met a man I didn’t like.’

Peter Ross HAYES QC (’66) was born on 30 October 1948 and left Carey Baptist Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1961–66. On 22 July 1972 he married Mary Nina Stephen at Scotch. She was a daughter of Old Boy Sir Ninian Stephen (1940). Peter’s brother Professor Robert Hayes attended Scotch from 1955–59. Peter was admitted to legal practice on 1 March 1973 and signed the Bar roll on 8 March 1973. Peter was a notable QC in Melbourne for over 18 years and died on 22 May 2007.

Alexander Earnest HINDS (’39) was born at Kew on 13 January 1922, the second-born of twins; the other being Alan. They were the sons of a salesman, and both attended Scotch from 1936–37 as members of Monash House. Their nephew, Phillip Bradley (1943–52; died 5 December 1966) was also at Scotch. Alexander served in the AIF in 1941, then in the RAAF from 1941–46, becoming a Sergeant in the 1 Wireless Unit. He married Coral Osborne on 2 June 1945. Alexander died on 6 July 2007.

John Buckland HIPWELL (’38) was born at Leongatha on 30 November 1920, the son of an outback missionary. John boarded at Scotch in School House from 1934–38. In 1938 he was a member of the Dramatic Society and participated in one-act plays. In that year he was a member of the Scotch Collegian’s editorial committee, and rowed in the 1st VIII. He did not like football or cricket, and rowing helped him forget his homesickness. Rowing was the most enjoyable part of his time at Scotch, and he enjoyed rowing on both the Barwon and the Yarra. John served in the AIF from 1940–42, becoming a Lance Corporal in the 3 Australian Survey Company, then served in the RAAF from 1942–46, becoming a Flying Officer in the 2 Radio Installation and Maintenance Unit. After the war he studied architecture. He married Betty and had a son and two daughters. John died on 16 June 2007.

Robert Kenneth IRVING (’29) was born at Sale on 31 October 1913 and boarded at Scotch in Leighwood House from 1929–30. He lived at Rosebud West and died on 5 June 2007.

Geoffrey Robert JAMIESON (’46) was born at Blackburn on 9 January 1931, the son of an Air Force Corporal. He attended Scotch from 1945–46. Geoff initially worked in insurance, then farmed at Munro, Victoria, before moving to Western Australia. In 1965 Geoff was settling on land at Munglinup, Western Australia, 80 miles west of Esperance, with his wife, five sons, and a daughter. He ran a Wesfarmers franchise at Ravensthorpe, and moved to Yanchep, where he became curator of the Yanchep Golf Course. His brothers were at Scotch: Donald (1942–44) and Peter (1948–51), as was their father Alex (1917–18; died 19 March 1979). Geoff died at Yanchep, Western Australia, on 22 March 2007.

Stanley Bruce JOHNSON (’52) was born at Sale on 8 June 1936, the son of a transport manager for the Department of Aircraft Production. He attended Scotch from 1948–52. Stanley lived at Sorrento and died on 23 April 2007.

Colin Marmion JOHNSTON (’29) was born at Launceston, Tasmania, on 23 July 1913, the son of a farmer and grazier, and attended Scotch from 1928–29. He served in the AIF from 1942 until an unknown date. He died on 23 June 2007.

Walter JONA AM (’43) was born at Hawthorn on 17 July 1926, the son of a medical practitioner, and attended Scotch from 1937–43 as a member of Monash House. He was 1938 Class Captain of IVa and was involved in the 1941 school play. He played underage cricket and football, and was a Corporal in the cadet corp. Walter served in the RAAF from 1945–46 and became a Leading Aircraftman in the RAAF Headquarters. He married Alwynne Burley in 1972. He was a Victorian Liberal parliamentarian, and held Ted Baillieu’s Hawthorn seat from 1964–85, making him the longest serving Jewish cabinet minister. He was also one of few Jewish politicians in the 20th century, and was proud of his Jewish heritage despite encountering extreme prejudice in his early years. He was a lifelong Hawthorn supporter. He was credited with saving thousands of lives by being the man behind the 1971 Victorian legislation that made the wearing of seat belts compulsory. From 1976–79 he was Minister of Immigration and Ethnic Affairs. Walter’s cousins at Scotch included Alex Taft (1929–34; died 26 December 1957), and Wittner brothers Arnold (1945) and David (1947–50). Walter died on 22 July 2007 after a long battle with cancer.

John Frederick KELLOCK (’33). Further to the obituary in the May 2007 Great Scot, the following obituary has been provided by John Woodside (’60).

I had the pleasure of knowing John Kellock and meeting him on a number of occasions in the late 1960s at our family home near Griffith in NSW. He was a small man but a very funny man with a good sense of humour. He and my father got on very well and were in business together. My father held him in very high esteem and he regarded him as a very intelligent and astute man and one of the key figures in rice growing in Australia while he was general manager of the Rice Growers Cooperative Mills. Much of the following has been taken from a book titled An Illustrated History of the Riverina Rice Industry written by Garry Lewis on behalf the ricegrowers and was published in 1994. John Kellock contributed to the book and made a very significant contribution to the rice industry as General Manager of the Ricegrowers Cooperative Mills from 1954 until he resigned in October 1971.

In 1954, my father John Woodside (’22) became a director of the Ricegrowers Cooperative Mills. John Kellock came to the rice industry when it had just been established as a grower cooperative after taking on and defeating a miller’s cartel in the early 1950s. The Ricegrowers Cooperative Mills built their first mill in 1952. Unlike many cooperatives, it had money to do things and John was one of the key drivers in the enormous growth of the cooperative through the late 50s and 60s. John Kellock established overseas exports to countries that were not coloured red on the map and were part of the British Empire. By 1955, Ricegrowers Cooperative Mills were exporting rice to Japan. John Kellock was a marketer and he was the person who devised and established the brand name ‘Sunwhite Rice’ in 1955. It was packaged in cellophane packets in an era when food was still sold in paper bags or packets. That brand name still exists today in supermarkets, over 50 years on, and is a tribute to John’s vision. John Kellock instigated buying of rice mills in Australia, on behalf of the Ricegrowers Cooperative Mills, including Echuca and Griffith. By 1959, the Ricegrowers Cooperative Mills was the sole rice-milling organisation in Australia and was one of the largest cooperatives in NSW. John Kellock with the board had financed this growth by devising a very successful debenture scheme to the growers.

Vernon William KELLY (’50) was born at Sale on 14 October 1934, the son of a farmer, and boarded at Scotch in School House from 1948–50. He married Valerie Joy Hemsworth at Scotch on 3 October 1958. Vernon’s brother James (1941–43; died 1 September 1998) was also at Scotch, as were their Wrigglesworth cousins Vernon (1923–25; died 19 November 1968) and Colin (1923–25; died 1985). Vernon lived at Tewantin, Queensland, and died on 13 February 2006.

Kenneth Munro Gibb KENNETT (’39) was born at St Kilda on 25 June 1921 and attended Scotch from 1928–39. Ken was a member of the 1932 under 11 football team, the 1933 under 13 football team, the 1934 Junior School football team, the 1st XVIII in 1938, and the premiership 1st XVIII of 1939. He was a 1938 and 1939 relay team member, and was 1939 Class Captain of VIII Commercial. He served in the AIF from 1942–45 and became a Warrant Officer Class 2 in the 4 Field Regiment. On 2 April 1947 he married Wendy Fanning at Scotch, and in 1955 he joined their son Jeffrey (1954–65) at the Junior School on Kite Flying Day. Despite being busy as a TAA sales manager, he found time to play in the 1958 centenary re-enactment of the first Australian rules game against Melbourne Grammar School at the MCG. In 1976 he became Victorian manager of TAA. As well as his well-known son Jeff, Ken’s grandsons Ed (1981–92), Angus (1991–96) and Ross (1992–97) also attended Scotch. Ken died on 14 May 2007.

Edward Courtis KING (’33) was born at Bendigo on 1 June 1917, the son of a surveyor, and attended Scotch in 1933. He served in the AIF from 1941–44 and became a Corporal in the SIB Maritime Group. Ted became a grazier. His brother, Judge Alfred King QC, attended Scotch from 1933–36, and Ted sent son John to Scotch (1958–63). His nephews Alfred (1969–74) and Alistair (1970–75) also attended Scotch. Ted died on 16 July 2007.

Roger John KING (’58) was born on 29 April 1941 and attended Scotch from 1952–58. He married Denise Jean Moulton at Scotch on 24 April 1965 and their son Zac attended Scotch from 1981–92. Like his wife, Roger was a solicitor. He died on 15 July 2007.

Morris KOMESAROFF (’39) was born at Richmond on 19 March 1922, the son of a draper, and attended Scotch on a scholarship from 1933–39. He was a member of the 1939 Scotch Collegian Editorial Committee. He missed out on being Dux of Scotch (one of the two Duxes in 1939, Richard Shaw, became the Victorian Rhodes’ Scholar for 1948) but he won an entrance scholarship to Ormond College and started studying law before WW2 intervened, and he served as a Private in the AIF from 1941–42, after which he was seconded by Minister for Post War Reconstruction, John Dedman, to join his department as the war neared its end. In his early 20s he met and married Hadassah Sher and they had three children. Morris started a sole legal practice and left his mark on the legal profession. In the late 1950s he conceived the Komesaroff Scheme of Subdivision, which is better known as strata titling, and which revolutionised unit ownership throughout Australia. He helped bring about the Legal Profession Guarantee Fund, which was funded by contributions from interest on funds held in solicitor’s trust funds. The fund supplied money to clients whose solicitors misused or otherwise lost money held on trust. Morris continued to improve his legal knowledge by obtaining a Master of Laws from Melbourne University when aged 57. Also at Scotch were his Komesaroff cousins, who Anglicised their surname to Kaye: Myer (1921–28; died 23 July 1975), Peter (1921–32; died 20 May 1983) and William (1927–36). Morris died on 22 July 2007.

Hayden Gravenor LAMB (’94) Hayden enjoyed a full and exciting life. As a young boy, snow and water skiing were his passions and many winters were spent with his family at Mt Buller and summers camping at Lake Eppalock. Horse riding, especially pony club as a boy, was a sport he not only shared with his mother and younger brothers but also stood him in good stead when he took up polo while living in the UK.

Hayden travelled extensively as a student, while a member of the Children’s International Villages – an organisation that promoted peace and was open to children 11 years and older. Before he was 18, Hayden had travelled to New Zealand, Brazil and the USA with this organisation.

Hayden’s school years were a mixture of frustration (for both him and his parents!!) and mischievousness! However, he was well liked by his peers as was more than evident upon his death, with the vast number of friends who attended a memorial service for him in London and were at his funeral in Melbourne in April.

Hayden’s love of travel and his desire to work overseas led him to London in 2000 where, like so many of his peers, he found his niche in IT, working for Mars Industries and later head-hunted and subcontracted to Shell. At Shell in the position of senior logistics architect, in charge of large projects, his passion for his work and his loyalty for the company were considered unique, impressing senior management who relied heavily upon his expertise.

Living in London, Hayden worked hard and played hard. He had recently been asked to join a polo team of business executives who played both nationally and internationally. Being a natural horseman, he took to polo with great zeal.

Like his Father, Hayden loved motorbike riding and had recently purchased a bike. He spent many weekend’s travelling the English countryside then messaging Dad full of excitement after his day’s journey.

His love of the snow took him to many fabulous ski resorts in Europe snowboarding. Hayden was on such a trip with a group of his friends in Verbier, Switzerland, when the sport that he so loved took his life. The last run of the holiday met with tragic consequences and a beautiful son, and loved brother and great friend to many, whose life was so full of promise and potential was taken from us.

Gregor Douglas LAMING (’49) was born at Sale on 27 November 1933, the son of a butcher, and attended Scotch from 1948–49. His brother Bruce was also at Scotch, attending from 1950–54. Greg died on 27 June 2007.

James Maxwell LAW (’48) was born at Richmond on 20 May 1930 and left Canterbury State School to attend Scotch from 1941–47. Relations at Scotch included his brother Ian (1945–56), father James (1918–21; died 2 November 1966), uncle Neil (1919–23; died 15 April 1989), and cousins Anthony (1944–54) and Michael (1946–58). Max died on 6 May 2007. His family supplied the following information:

Max was keen to join the merchant navy, but was rejected due to having occasional migraine headaches. He worked briefly for Goldsborough Mort in Melbourne but resigned and worked as a farm hand in Tasmania, then at properties at Brit Brit and Gringegalgona near Balmoral in the Western District. He managed a property at Hinnomunjie near Benambra in the Victorian high country. Max enjoyed his football and played for Old Scotch, Pigeon Ponds and Benambra, helping the latter to a premiership. They offered to fly him in from Adelaide for the Grand Final but he declined! Max caught the recreational sailing bug while living in Sydney. He became a member of a team of sailors who raced two yachts against each other in preparation for Frank Packer’s second America’s Cup Challenge with Gretel II.

After working at Hinnomunjie he joined the Committee of London Woolbrokers, calling on wool producers in South Australia. He was seconded to Western Australia where he met Constance (Con) on a blind date. Max initially worked as a wool buyer in Perth, but then took over the lease of a women’s clothing shop called ‘Dorringtons’ in Nedlands near the Windsor theatre. He then became a proof reader for the West Australian newspaper before becoming an advertising salesman for the now-defunct Daily News, which was an afternoon newspaper. Max became state advertising manager of the West Australian, and of the Daily News in Sydney.

He changed careers again to sell insurance for AMP, then bought the Mirror dinghy franchise for Western Australia, leading to the establishment of the ‘Sailing Centre’ in Broome Street, Nedlands, which included franchises for other performance dinghies. Max became secretary of the Boating Industry Association (BIA), which became a full-time role, and saw him selling his business. When he left the BIA he briefly became a real estate agent before retiring – in a way – as he then became secretary of the WA Business Brokers’ Association before taking another part-time role as secretary of ‘Z Force’, which gave him satisfaction and lasted until his death.

George LOGIE SMITH OBE (Staff 1959–78) was born on 2 December 1914 and died on 19 April 2007. A full obituary appears on page 88.

William Douglas MAGENNIS (’37) was born at Moonee Ponds on 2 May 1920 and attended Scotch from 1933–37. He was a member of the Scotch Collegian editorial committee from 1936–37 and was a Probationer in 1937. He served in the AIF from an unknown date until 1946, and was a Lieutenant in the 2/26 Supply Depot Company AASC. On 29 July 1949 he married Betty Doris Briggs at Scotch. Their sons Bill (1959–68) and Andrew (1961–72) attended Scotch. Bill senior was a solicitor until he went to the Bar in 1958. His father William (1898–1901; died 7 May 1947) was also a barrister. His great uncles were also at Scotch: William (1879–?, died March 1934), Leslie (1886–88; died 20 September 1950), Samuel (1888–89) Claude (1898–1903) and Dick (1906–07; died March 1931). Claude and his nephew William (Bill’s father) were the same age and at Scotch at the same time, and they told classmates they were cousins. Bill’s great great uncles were also at Scotch: the Lamrock brothers Samuel (1873–77; died 3 November 1890) and Macausland (1878–80; died 19 June 1897). Bill died on 22 July 2007.

Thomas MASSEE (’53) was born on 27 June 1938 at Batavia, Dutch East Indies, the son of a ship’s engineer. He boarded in McMeckan at Scotch from 1945–53. Also at Scotch were his brother Frits (1949–58), Purves cousins Toby (1950–54) and Stuart (1952–62), and Purves uncles Thomas (1920–26; died 25 May 1969) and John (1928–32; died 14 January 1978). Thomas died on 4 July 2007.

Alexander Kenneth McDONALD (’40) was born at St Kilda on 21 July 1923 and attended Scotch from 1935–39. He was a 1935 Class Captain, 1936 Class Captain of Va and 1937 Class Captain of Vlb. He served in the AIF from 1944–46 and became a Staff Sergeant in the Australian and New Guinea Administrative Unit. On 23 September 1953 he married Ailsa C. Hopper at Scotch. Alexander lived at Nedlands, Western Australia, and died at Perth on 29 May 2007.

Kelman McQUEEN (’43) was born at Noorat on 14 March 1926, the son of Old Boy Rev. Malcolm McQueen (1902; died 24 November 1964). Kel attended Scotch from 1940–42 as had his brothers Finlay (1929–31; killed in action in the RAAF over the Aru Islands near New Guinea on 6 May 1943) and Russell (1939–40; died March 1968). Also at Scotch were his great uncles Allan (1902–03; died 14 September 1970) and Ewen (1902–06; died 11 August 1967), and second cousin Ian (1959–63). Kel died on 22 July 2007. David Baillieu (former staff) has supplied the following information:

I attended Kel McQueen’s funeral yesterday afternoon at St Aidan’s Uniting Church in North Balwyn. I went to represent my dad, with whom Kel corresponded on family history matters. Their interest was the immigrant ship Priscilla, which arrived at the new Port Phillip Heads Quarantine Station in January, 1853. Kel’s great grandfather Malcolm McQueen was a passenger, and Dad’s grandfather James George Baillieu was an able seaman. Thirty five deaths from scarlatina on the passage out landed the ship in quarantine, where another seven died. Malcolm’s brother Finlay was the last of them. Malcolm’s son would be the Reverend Finlay McQueen (1862–1941), Kel’s grandfather. Kel loved Gilbert & Sullivan, his tennis, his cricket, and his bowls. He was a champion pennant bowler in the 1970s. He gave much time to his church activities, and was a popular mainstay of their magnificent choir. He was also a capable pianist and a piper of flair and enthusiasm. The choir singing yesterday was rich, harmonious, and passionate. The piper saw him into the church, and piped him out to ‘Amazing Grace’. It was a mighty send off.

Heinz Bernard MENDEL (Staff 1941–77) was born in Germany on 29 September 1912 and taught French, German and Latin at Scotch. He died on 4 June 2007. A full obituary appears on page 86.

Peter John Francis MULHOLLAND (’60) was born on 15 August 1943 and attended Scotch from 1957–60 as a member of Morrison House. Peter was an outstanding student who won a full scholarship to Scotch where he was a cadet, played cricket, tennis, and excelled as a chess player. He went on to study civil engineering at Melbourne University, completing a degree and master’s. Peter obtained a cadetship to the CRB where his career commenced and continued for 25 years. As a researcher at ARRB, he won the Victorian Excellence Award in 1990 for his project ‘A Design Guide for Residential Street Pavements’ which is still considered the authority for road making today.

Peter was considered one of the leading pavements engineers in his field. For the last five years he worked at Chadwick T & T where he did what he enjoyed most, which was mentoring young engineers from Australia and overseas. Peter was an avid Carlton supporter and cricket follower, as well as being an interested supporter of the Old Scotch football team. His passion was his work, which he continued doing until the day he died on 25 July 2007. Peter married Linda Levy in 1969 in the Scotch College Chapel. He has a son Jeremy and a daughter Liza.

Kris Vaughan PEDERSEN (’98) was born at Melbourne on 3 October 1980 and left Yarra Valley Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1993–98. His brother Antony (1991–96) was also at Scotch. Kris died on 14 July 2007 and a tribute by his aunt, Christine Rodan, appears below:

A highlight for Kris from his school years was his Scotch history trip to Europe. It strengthened his already developing interest in ancient history and he would have liked to travel again – to Egypt to see the pyramids. It also led to his choice of university study – ancient history and archaeology.

In 1999, around his 19th birthday, and in his first year of university, Kris started to struggle with constant pain in the right hip and leg with the consequence of not being able to walk very far before having to sit down and rest. Noted sarcoma specialist Professor Peter Choong diagnosed Kris’ problem as Ewing’s sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer that generally attacks young persons. From this time Kris always needed at least a walking stick.

His check-ups were clear until early 2004. He was diagnosed with a tumour at the base of his skull which was inoperable. He was given radiotherapy, further chemotherapy, and then had radical stem cell transplant recovery treatment. He was at this time given only a 15 per cent chance of survival, but beat the odds. However, the nerve behind his right eye had stretched and never went right back and so he had double vision. Special glasses brought the two images very close together, and he ‘knew’ which was the real vision and which was the double. Fourteen months later, however, his cancer had yet again reappeared in a new place: he had tumours in his lung. The tumour at the base of the skull gave him more problems and he lost feeling in one side of his face and later his mouth and became unable to chew. By January this year he was receiving palliative care only.

He told us many times that he wasn’t sorry that he got cancer and had to go through all the treatment. In his own words ‘It has made me stronger, and made me think differently about life.’ The only time he said ‘It’s not fair’ was when experiencing pain in his right eye after the brain stem tumour was once again causing problems. Kris’ graduation was his crowning achievement. He graduated in 2006 from La Trobe University with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in ancient history and archaeology. He had continued to study whenever he could during his cancer treatment and was extremely proud of himself, as in fact we all were of him.

In February, whilst receiving palliative care, his grandmother passed away. He was absolutely determined he would use his walking stick to get to his Gran’s funeral, and he did. He had wanted his Gran to be proud of him. His last purchase was a present for his new cousin Tasha. He was too ill to go shopping the weekend before Tasha’s birth so gave very explicit instructions via his mobile phone on what he wanted bought – a very soft teddy. We believe that the last thing that Kris registered was that Tasha had been born.

George Reginald POLLARD (’48) was born at London on 10 March 1930 and left Trinity Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1941–48. He capped off his time at Scotch by being a 1948 Prefect, Editor of the Scotch Collegian, and Dux of Scotch. George lived at Woodend, and died in the Bethlehem Hospital on 22 May 2007.

John David POWELL (’45) was born on 25 August 1928 and attended Scotch from 1935–45. He was a member of the athletics teams of 1942 and 1943. David died on 29 July 2007. The following information has been provided to Scotch:

David attended Scotch from Miss Miller’s (1935) to matriculation in 1945. Miss Miller’s was a special kindergarten for pre-Scotch boys and was situated in Glenferrie Road opposite the School.

David’s father, Harry Fowler Powell, was an injured returned soldier who contracted TB due to his war wounds. David attended Scotch College through funding from the RSL (as Harry was a TPI), and was always grateful to the school for handling the arrangements and for its generosity. David had many fond memories of the School. David was a good hurdler at the School. He was also a good boxer who scored the occasional knock down.

David studied at Melbourne University gaining first-class honours in metallurgy. He travelled to England following his studies and spent time exploring Europe in his Sunbeam Talbot. While in the UK, he auditioned for a choir position at Westminster Abbey. He was successful, and he joined the chorus as a bass singer. He was part of the choir that sang at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. He subsequently moved to the town of Lewis in Surrey where he sang in the Glyndbourne Opera House for a number of years.

Norman Peter QUAIL (’42) was born at Mont Albert on 23 October 1924, the son of a railway officer. He left Box Hill Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1937–40 as a member of Morrison House. Norman was in the Guard of the Cadet Corps. After Scotch he worked for the Vacuum Oil Company. In WW2 he served in the RAAF from 1943–45 and was a Warrant Officer in 466 Squadron. He was posted to the 640 Squadron of the RAF’s Bomber Command in Yorkshire, United Kingdom. He was a wireless operator in a Halifax crew. After the war he was a manager of Australian Gypsum and later at Wills and Company in Sydney. Norman married Miriam B. Thomas at Scotch on 2 December 1950. From 1965–80 he was a member of Legacy. He was a keen tennis player and was still playing three times a week at the age of 80. He had been honorary secretary of the Northern Tasmania Lawn Tennis Association. Norman died at Sydney on 19 June 2007.

James Lawrance ROBERTSON (’35) was born at St. Kilda on 27 November 1918 and attended Scotch from 1928–35. During that period he left on 17 December 1930 and returned as a boarder on 14 February 1933. Jim served in the AIF from 1940–45 and was a Gunner in the 2/1 Composite A.A. Regiment. He hailed from Gundagai, NSW, and it was to Gundagai he returned and lived until his death, working as a pastoralist. He married Margot Hastie Kelsall. Jim’s was a very extensive Scotch family. He was a brother of Geoffrey (1933–40; died 16 October 1991), cousin of Peter (1933–38; died 11 December 1997), Doug (1935–42; died 22 November 2006) and Francis (1935–43; died 16 February 1987), second cousin of Ian Morrison (1940–42), uncle of Ken Whitehead (1961–62), great uncle of Hamish Roy Whitehead (1987–88), son of James (1902–07; died 5 November 1955), nephew of Francis (1902–08; died 26 May 1946), Gordon (1905–11; died 6 October 1950) and Geoffrey (1905–13; died of wounds in WWI on 13 August 1916), grandson of Francis (1876; died 11 October 1937) and great nephew of Thomas (1874–76; died 22 April 1926), James (1874–78; died 1 September 1923) and John (1874–78; died 20 September 1929). Jim died at Wagga Wagga, NSW, on 27 January 2006. An RSL funeral was held for him.

Thomas Ernest Guyatt (Guy) ROBERTSON (’32) was born at Essendon on 2 November 1914 and attended Scotch from 1928–32. In his final year he won a government senior scholarship and was a Prefect. He obtained his MBBS at Melbourne University in 1938 and became an FRACS in 1947. He served in the AIF from 1940–46, becoming a Major in the 115 H MH. He was mentioned in dispatches. He was Medical Superintendent and Surgeon at Mount Gambier Hospital. Guy married Helen Mary Atkins at Scotch on 15 December 1954 and their sons attended Scotch: John (1968–73) and David (1969–75), as did their grandsons Guyatt (1999–2002), Hamish (2001–04) and Hugh (2003–06). He died on 14 April 2007.

Peter Ivan ROSENBLUM (’37) was born at ‘Greenook’ 76 High Street, Glen Iris, Victoria, on 12 March 1920, the son of an analytical chemist. He attended Scotch from 1934–36. He was an aircraft production engineer; then for 20 years worked at Repco, entering its board in 1960, and was its managing director from 1970–75. He held various other directorships. Peter died on 6 May 2007.

David McKenzie SHARPE (’49) was born at Sydney on 22 September 1931 and attended Scotch from 1942–49. He had attended Glamorgan in 1940. He was a 1942 Junior School Form. Captain, and rowed in the 4th VIII in 1946. Matriculating in 1949 with first-class honours in geology and second-class honours in physics, in 1953 he obtained a Diploma of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering at Caulfield Technical College. He worked for the SEC as an electrical engineer. This would have surprised none of his class mates at Scotch, for in his tertiary student years he had, with other former class mates, built a dam and hydro-electric power plant at Scotch’s Healesville scout property, Elliott Lodge. It was rudimentary, but worked successfully for the brief periods it behaved itself. No doubt he had been inspired by the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric scheme. On 18 February 1956 he married Kathleen Elizabeth Cossar, at the Independent Church in Collins Street. He wrote Remember that Heavenly Ginger Beer? – A History of Sharpe Bros. David died on 13 June 2007.

John Henry SIMMIE (’47) was born at Echuca, the son of a farmer, on 9 March 1931. He attended Scotch as a boarder in Arthur Rob from 1946–47. John died on 1 July 2007.

Dr William Lister SLOSS (’35) was born at Ballarat on 27 January 1918, and, like his father, became a medical practitioner. He left Ballarat College to attend Scotch as a boarder in School House in 1935. He was a member of the 1st XVIII. From 1941–46 he served in the AIF, becoming a Captain in the 2/1 Australian Infantry Battalion. In 1941 he obtained his MBBS at Melbourne University, and later became an FRCOG and FRCOG as a specialist obstetrician and gynaecologist. From 1968–71 he was chairman of the state committee of the RCOG and he was president of the Ballarat Base Hospital from 1979–81. He married Dr Jean Proud at Scotch on 12 March 1947, and their son Bill attended Ballarat College, and then Scotch from 1963–67. Bill died on 9 June 2007. His son provided the following additional information:

Bill saw overseas service in New Guinea. He did post-graduate study in obstetrics and gynaecology then returned to Ballarat, where he delivered over 8,000 babies. At various times he was chairman of the Victorian Branch Council of College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologist, on the board of the Ballarat Hospital, and president of the Victorian Branch of the AMA. He was well known for his smile, compassion and dedication to obstetrics. He is survived by his wife, son, daughters Margie, Janet and Sally, and by 12 grandchildren.

Bruce Hopkins THOM (’32) was born at Melbourne on 8 April 1916 and left Camberwell Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1930–32 as a member of Gardiner House. He was involved in cadets. Bruce became divisional manager of marketing and sales for Associated Pulp & Paper Mill Limited. On 6 July 1940 he married Enid Gladys Morris at Scotch. They had two daughters. Bruce died on 26 June 2007.

Bertram Gardiner TONKIN (’31) was born at Kew on 29 October 1912 and attended Scotch from 1925–29 as a member of Gardiner House. In 1929 he was a member of the 1st tennis team and the 1st XVIII. Bert married Margery Frazer in 1938. He became a badminton champion, representing Victoria from 1933 to 1941 and Australia in 1938 and 1939. He was a member of the Victorian State tennis team from 1932–47. In 1949 he was Manager of the Australian touring team of New Zealand. He was also an ‘A’ grade pennant tennis player. He was a life member of the Victorian Badminton Association. Bert served in the AIF from 1942–45 and was a Bombardier in the 102 Australian Anti Aircraft Battery. He lived at Box Hill and died in the Box Hill Hospital on 28 March 2007, aged 94.

Reginald Rutherford WADDELL (’34) was born at Balwyn on 25 June 1918 and attended Scotch from 1932–34. He was a 1932 Class Captain. He joined the Melbourne University Rifles in 1940. Reginald was a half brother of Murdoch (1918–19; died 21 April 1980), uncle of McComas brothers Campbell (1966–70) and Malcolm (1967–72) and great uncle of Alistair McComas (1995–2000) and Mieszkowski brothers Julian (1987–89) and Simeon (1990–97). Reginald died at Hornsby Hospital, NSW, on 13 February 2007.

Harold John Millar WARD OBE (’39) was born at Prahran on 12 June 1923 and left Melbourne High School to attend Scotch from 1938–39. He obtained diplomas of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering from RMIT. On 16 October 1948 he married Thelma Florence Campbell at Scotch. In 1950 John was in an administrative job at Los Negros, Admiralty Islands, and he became managing director of NEI Bruce Peebles Australia Pty Ltd, and was a chartered engineer. He was president of Rotary in Hawthorn from 1978–79 and was a member of the OSCA council. In 1985 John was awarded the OBE. His sons attended Scotch: John (1962–69), Robert (1962–72) and Donald (1968–79). He was a second cousin of John Edwards (1945–48), a son-in-law of Roderick Campbell (1889–92; died 1943) and a great nephew of Robert Kerr (1869; died 1936). Harold died on 17 April 2007.

Albert Alexander WILLIS (’25) was born at Clifton Hill on 29 September 1909, the son of a manufacturer. He attended Scotch from 1923–25 and was an early member of the new Senior School at Hawthorn, as the East Melbourne campus continued to exist in parallel while Albert was at Scotch. His brother Reginald attended from 1926–27. Albert served in the RAAF from 1942–46 and was a Flying Officer in the 37 Operational Base Unit. Albert died on 31 July 2007 and was the seventh oldest known living Old Boy before his death.

Dr Robert David WILSON (’43) was born at Melbourne on 4 December 1925 and attended Scotch from 1934–43. His years at Scotch were years of leadership on and off the sports field. He was a 1935 and 1936 Junior School Class Captain, 1940 Form Captain of VIb, 1941 Class Captain of VIIc, a 1943 Collegian Editorial Committee member, and a 1943 member of the Ninth. Bob was a member of the 1937 Junior School cricket team and its Captain in 1938. He was a member of the Junior School football team in 1938 and a member of the 1st XVIII from 1941–43; the last two years being premierships, and Bob being the Captain in 1943. Bob was Vice Captain of the Junior School in 1938, a 1942 Probationer, and vice captain of Scotch in 1943. On 26 October 1949 he married Margery V. Walklate at Scotch and their sons Robert (1958–68) and David (1958–69) attended Scotch. They had a daughter, Mary. David wrote that his father attended Melbourne University, graduating from medicine in 1949. During his working life he was Chief Medical Officer of Mobil Oil Australia and later was Group Medical Officer at Boral as well as being a Lieutenant Colonel in the Citizen Military Forces. Bob’s had a long and successful family history at Scotch. His brother Mac attended Scotch (1930–40; died 9 October 1996), as did their father Arthur (1902–06; died 19 December 1947), grandfather Robert McLeod (1883–85; died 14 June 1907), great uncles John (1877–?; died 4 June 1937), Charles (1884–88; died 26 November 1918), Daniel (1885–91; died 25 November 1901) and Harry (1889–94; died 9 October 1960). Bob was the uncle of Kemp brothers David (1949–59) and Rod (1952–63), grandfather of Forsyth brothers David (1991–98) and Anthony (1993–2001), and great uncle of Wilson brothers Warwick (1989–2000) and James (1990–2002), Kemp boys William (1982–90), Alexander (1987–92), Andrew (1992–2004) and Charles (Year 9), and Patrick Robertson (1983–94). Bob died peacefully after a long illness on 9 April 2007.

John Edward WOODSTOCK (’53) was born at Bentleigh on 23 April 1936, the son of a manager. He attended Scotch from 1949–50. On 4 July 1959 he married Jean G. Buchan at Scotch. John died on 14 May 2007.

Obituaries in this and previous issues have been compiled by Paul Mishura (unless otherwise stated) from information held or obtained by Scotch College, or provided to Scotch, and content is limited to this information. Scotch depends on the completeness and accuracy of information it holds or is supplied, and while the School takes all reasonable care in compiling obituaries, it cannot take responsibility for any actual or perceived errors or omissions.

Eulogies, obituaries and any other biographical information are welcomed, and must include the exact date of death to permit publication. Space limitations may require submitted material to be edited. Information can be emailed to Paul Mishura at Alternatively, please phone Astrida Cooper on 9810 4304 or send information to Great Scot, 1 Morrison Street, Hawthorn 3122.

Updated: Monday 24 June 2013