Vale – David Baillieu, Sir Harold Knight (’36) and Professor Hugh Stretton (’41)
Scotch is mourning the deaths of a highly respected former Scotch teacher, and two Old Boys who were included in OSCA’s 100 ‘Men of Influence, Men of Weight’ during the OSCA centenary year of 2013.
David McArthur BAILLIEU (Staff 1972-2003) was born on 13 July 1942 at the Mercy Hospital, East Melbourne, the son of Old Melburnian Darren Baillieu. He attended Melbourne Grammar School from 1954 to 1960, rowing in the 1st VIII from 1958 to 1960 and winning the Head of the River in 1958. David played in the 1st XV (1959-60), played rugby and competed in athletics for the APS (1960), was captain of boats (1960) and was 1960 school captain. He graduated BA (University of Western Australia) and MA DipEd (Oxford University).
David taught at MGS (1969-70) and at Melbourne High School (1971-72) before joining the staff at Scotch on 5 May 1972. He taught geography and German. David coached the 5th VIII and junior rowers and was an integral member of Sea Scouts, with which he helped build four boats. He also helped with Social Services. For nearly 30 years David was the scourge of latecomers as the Late Master, and he officiated at many Family Days.
A keen nautical man, David skilfully sailed his large couta boat for many years. He contributed his great sense of humour to conversations with fellow oarsmen in the boatshed tearoom at lunchtimes. When the noise of boys playing outside became too much for him, David once interrupted a typically bawdy conversation to call out of the window, ‘Quieten down boys! We’re having a prayer meeting in here!’
Despite his strong connection with MGS, David’s family connection to Scotch went deeper. His sons Charles (SC 1977-89) and William (SC 1981-92) attended Scotch, as did great-uncles Norman Horace Baillieu (born 17 June 1878, SC 1894-96, died 22 August 1955) and Maurice Howard Lawrence Baillieu (born 21 September 1883, SC 1894-99, died 26 July 1961). Among many others were his grandfather and first Scotch School Captain William Johnstone Knox (born 13 June 1887, SC 1898-1904, died 20 August 1917 in World War I), great-uncles Sir George Hodges Knox (born 17 December 1885, SC 1898-99, died 11 July 1960), and John Uchter Knox (born 29 September 1891, SC 1904, Melbourne Grammar School 1905-11, died 17 August 1952) and great-grandfather William Knox (born 25 April 1850, SC 1865-66, died 25 September 1913). David died on 10 June 2015 after a long illness.
Sir Harold Murray KNIGHT DSC KBE (’36) was born at South Melbourne on 13 August 1919 and attended Scotch from 1933 to 1935. He was a member of the Dramatic Society and was involved in A Damsel in Distress (1933), A Pair of Sixes (1934) and Tilly of Bloomsbury (1935).
Harold worked for the Commonwealth Bank (1936-40 and 1946-55) with a break in service to serve in the AIF (1940-43) as a lieutenant, and in the RAN (1943-46). He was demobilised as a lieutenant and was awarded the DSC in 1945 for distinguished survey work on the HMAS Polaris in the Far East. Harold graduated with a masters in commerce at Melbourne University. On 7 April 1951 he married Gwenyth Pennington.
He joined the International Monetary Fund in Washington DC, working in the statistics division (1955-59) of which he became assistant chief (1957-59). Harold worked for the Reserve Bank of Australia (1960-82). He was assistant manager (1962-64) and manager (1964-68) of the investment department. He was deputy governor and deputy chairman (1968-75), and from July 1975 to August 1982 was governor and chairman of the RBA.
Harold served on many boards, among them Western Mining Corporation Ltd (1982-91) and Mercantile Mutual Holdings Ltd (1983-89; chairman 1985-89). Community involvement included the presidency of the Scripture Union of New South Wales and membership of the Macquarie University Council (1989-93).
On New Year’s Day 1980 Harold was knighted with the KBE for services to banking. He was selected as one of OSCA’s 100 ‘Men of Influence, Men of Weight’ for its 2013 centenary. Harold lived at Willoughby, New South Wales, and died on 19 June 2015.
Professor Hugh STRETTON AC (’41) was born at Cambrai private hospital, East St Kilda on 15 July 1924. He attended Scotch from 1936 to 1941 as a member of Gardiner House. Hugh was a 1938 Dramatic Society member, involved in The Merchant of Venice. He was a 1939 and 1941 Scotch Collegian Editorial Committee member and 1940 co-editor of the magazine.
Hugh was the last surviving member of the Head of the River-winning 1941 1st VIII, and he donated his oar to the Scotch Archives. He played in the 1940 1st XV and was 1941 1st XV Vice-Captain. Hugh was a 1940 Prefect and 1941 Vice Captain of Scotch.
Also at Scotch were his uncles Alan Bishop Stretton (born 30 September 1922, SC 1936-38, died 26 October 2012) and William Kenneth Bishop Stretton (born 25 August 1924, SC 1938-39, died 5 March 2013) and cousin Greg (SC 1961-65). Hugh served in the navy from 1943 to 1946 and was demobilised as a leading survey assistant.
He was 1946 Rhodes Scholar for Victoria and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (1948) from Oxford University. Hugh was a fellow of Balliol College (1948-54), and then professor of history at Adelaide University (1954-68), reader (1968-69) and, from 1990, a visiting fellow in economics. His book, Ideas for Australian Cities (1970), influenced Whitlam government planning policies, and with Housing and Government (1974) he became one of Australia’s leading social philosophers.
His magnum opus, Economics: a New Introduction (1999) suggested ways of making modern economics more just. As deputy chairman of the South Australian Housing Trust (1973-89) he helped engineer a programme that added approximately 3,000 houses per year.
Hugh was awarded the Centenary Medal (2001) and was voted one of Australia’s most influential public intellectuals (2006). In the 2004 Queen’s Birthday honours he was awarded the AC ‘for service as a historian, social commentator and writer profoundly influencing and shaping ideas in the community on urban policy, town planning and social and economic development’. He is the eponym of Adelaide’s Stretton Centre, an employment research and development facility.
Hugh was selected as one of OSCA’s 100 ‘Men of Influence, Men of Weight’ for its 2013 centenary. He died at Adelaide, South Australia on 19 July 2015.