Great Scot Archive
Issues from 1998
Issues from 1998



AIRD Ian Adam (’43)
BARTLETT Anton Edward (’93)
BATES, Leon Brooke (staff 1960–87)
BAYFORD Milton Melville (’29)
BENTLEY Donald William (’46)
BORRIE Ian Fisher (’39)
BROWN Franklin Thomas (’31)
BULLOCK Denzil Frederick James (’45)
CAMPBELL Stuart Dallas (’39)
CHRISTENSEN Dr Geoffrey Neil (’39)
COOK Alan Volens Cartwright (’32)
COOK Barrie Graham (’48)
CORNISH Richard Burnet (Staff 1946-51)
COSTELLO Gary John (Staff)
CUSWORTH Howard William (’42)
DICK Arthur Robert (’36)
DOIG Kenneth Douglas (’43)
EADIE EM Alan Keith (’35)
FRANCIS Nathan Fazal (Year 9)
GRANOWSKI Warwick Oscar (’49)
GIBBS, Desmond Robert (staff 1990–99)
HALL Murray Bourchier (’31)
KELLOCK John Frederick (’33)
LAING Gordon McIver (’42)
LAMB Hayden Grovenor (’94)
LAVETT John Leslie (’43)
LAWSON John McAlister (’61)
LOGIE-SMITH, George (staff 1959–78)
McDONALD Ross Philip (’36)
McFADYEN John Roy (’39)
McKINNON Ian Heywood (’39)
McQUEEN John Andrew (‘42)
MITCHELL John Rodney (’49)
NETTE Neville Broughton (’54)
ORME Dr Barrie John MacLachlan (’51)
PARRY Max Lindsay (’51)
PATERSON Malcolm McGregor (’56)
PETTIGREW James Bruce (’35)
PRENTICE Roy Riggall (’24)
PROVAN John Laurie (’34 and Staff 1950–81)
RETALLICK Bernard George (’49)
RIGHETTI Simon Douglas (’99)
ROBERTSON Douglas Gordon (’42)
ROSS Murdoch John (Jack) OAM (’32)
SALTHOUSE George Maxwell (’34)
SPEEDY Rev Charles Leigh (Staff 1949–59)
STEWART Trevor Murray (’47)
STOTT Paul Clymer (’41)
TONKIN, Bertram Gardner
TUPPEN Harold Hastings (’32)
WARLAND Alfred (’35)
WATSON Quintin Francis (’48)
WELLER Robert John (’51)
WESTCOTT James Campbell MBE (’28)
WILLIAMS Dr Stanley Percival (’41)
ZIMMER Ray Neville (’37)

AIRD Ian Adam (’43) was born at Brighton on 17 September 1926 and attended Scotch from 1939–43. He was a member of the Scotch swimming team in 1941. Ian completed Leaving Honours in his last year at Scotch, and in 1948 obtained his BCE at Melbourne University. Ian was a civil engineer for the Department of Works and Housing. He had followed his father John (1908–10; died 25 January 1959) at Scotch, and in turn sent his own sons, Steven (1968–73) and Guy (1974–79) to Scotch. Ian died on 1 December 2006. Scotch has been supplied the following additional information:

Ian studied civil engineering at Melbourne University and received his Bachelor of Civil Engineering degree in 1948. He worked for the Department of Works and Housing and the Melbourne Harbour Trust before moving overseas to England in 1952, and in 1958 he worked in a variety of engineering roles for Bahrain Petroleum in the Middle East. Ian returned to Australia in 1965 and commenced working for Mobil Oil Australia. After chairing the committee for the introduction of unleaded petrol he retired from Mobil in 1984 as the Senior Consulting Engineer. In December 1985 he suffered a major stroke which seriously curtailed his retirement, but led him to further his interests in computing and the greenhouse effect. Ian married Anne on 1 May 1952.

Anton Edward BARTLETT (’93) was born on 24 July 1975 and left Trinity Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1986 to 1993. He was a member of Selby Smith house, and his brother Chris (1980–91) was also at Scotch. Anton was riding his bike in Clifton Hill when he was knocked down by a car. He was kept on a life support system for two days until recipients could be found for his organs, so that the tragedy of his untimely death could result in giving life and hope for others. Anton died on 25 January 2007.

Milton Melville BAYFORD (’29) was born at Geelong on 10 April 1912 – only five days before the loss of the Titanic. The son of staff member John Airey Bayford (Staff 1909–45; died 9 September 1956), he attended Scotch in 1929. His brothers Jack (1922; died 2 October 1996) and Alwin (1929–32; died 3 September 2005) were also at Scotch, as were his nephews Hugh (1956–67) and Lindsay (1959–71). Milton married Joan Helen Swanton on 4 May 1942. He served in the AIF from 1943–45 and was a Gunner in the 4 Australian Signals TP RAA. Milton lived at Caulfield and died on 7 December 2006.

Donald William BENTLEY (’46) was born at Williamstown on 9 January 1928 and attended Scotch from 1943–44. He married Wilma Shaw at Scotch on 11 October 1952, and they sent their sons Peter (1968–73) and Donald (1972–75) to Scotch. Also at Scotch was Donald’s brother Robert (1946–48). Donald lived at Warragul, and died on 7 February 2007.

Ian Fisher BORRIE (’39)

Ian Fisher BORRIE (’39) was born on 13 July 1921 and attended Scotch from 1928 to 1939. Active in the Junior School, he was a member of the under 11 football team in 1932, the under 13 cricket and football teams in 1933, and he was involved in that year’s Junior School play. Ian was equally active in the Senior School, being a member of the 1st XV from 1937–39 He was a member of the Dramatic Society, and was involved in The Dragon (1936), The Merchant of Venice (1938) and Busman’s Honeymoon (1939). He was a 1938 and 1939 editorial committee member of the Scotch Collegian. He was a 1938 Probationer, and a 1939 Prefect. Ian served in the Melbourne University Rifles in the AIF from 1940–42 as a Private, and was a Lieutenant in the RAN, in which he served from 1942–46.

On 24 April 1951 he married Jeannette M Caldwell at Scotch. Ian later married Nancy Joan Watson on 10 March 1960, and on 7 November 1976 he married Wendy Hope Graydon. Ian played in the 1958 MCG centenary football re-enactment against MGS. He was a solicitor, but in 1969 he was appointed Assistant General Manager of Comalco. Ian had followed his father, Edwin Fullarton Borrie (1908–11; died 27 August 1968), to Scotch, which was also attended by his uncle James (died 28 March 1967), his son William (1969–80) and his stepson Graeme (1965–70). Ian died at Dover, Tasmania, on 12 December 2006. The following obituary has been written by Keith Weymouth (’43):

Ian entered the Junior School at Scotch in 1928, which in Ian’s words ‘started some of the happiest years of my life’. In the Senior School, Ian developed an early love for rugby, which suited his build better than Australian rules, and it became his best and most favoured sport. Many games were played with the Flinders Naval College and the University Colts. He also played cricket and tennis, representing Monash House and School teams in both.

Ian was a cadet for four years, a Corporal and member of the Guard. The Debating, Dramatics, Art, Literature, Camera and Public Questions clubs at School were his interests. He was a feature writer for the Collegian and editor of Satura in 1939. Colin Gilray’s testimonial to Ian included the prophetic words ‘He has a strong personality and has shown considerable independence of thought’.

In 1940, Ian went into residence at Ormond College on a minor scholarship, to commence law studies at Melbourne University, where he shared a study with W E I ‘Bill’ Littlejohn, who had been Captain of Scotch in 1939. In 1940, he attempted to join a Navy Reserve recruitment scheme, but was rejected on account of tonal deafness. However, in 1941 he again volunteered for the Navy and was called up in 1942. He was posted to the corvette Katoomba, which saw service in the New Guinea area and the south-west Pacific, and later the destroyer Quickmatch as a Lieutenant, for service in the Japan area. He returned to Ormond College and graduated with an LLB in 1947.

At University, Ian was very active in playing rugby, representing Melbourne University (full blue) and a combined university team. Later, Ian became closely involved with administration in the Victorian Rugby Union, and also as a referee and selector. When the Old Scotch Rugby Union Football club was formed in 1955, Ian acted as a coach.

Ian’s love of tennis continued with the Kooyong RSL Club in match play. Later, he joined the Old Scotch Tennis Club in regular competition and social play, and was devoted to assisting the Club and its members gain full enjoyment from their tennis at the Club.

His interest in live theatre led to involvement on the stage with the Old Scotch Dramatic Society (11 productions, including, appropriately, his leading role as a Navy Admiral in Off the Record, the society’s production for the Scotch Centenary celebrations in 1951). After moving to Point Lonsdale he acted in plays with the Peninsula Players at Drysdale.

Ian retired from Comalco in 1983, and in 1984, he and his wife, Wendy, moved to Point Lonsdale, and both became closely involved in community affairs including the Salvation Army annual appeal, the Queenscliff and (later) the Bellarine Health Services, Meals on Wheels, Queenscliff Lifeboat Preservation Society, Historical Society and Museum and the Point Lonsdale Civic Association and Neighbourhood House. From 1989 to 1992, Ian served on the Borough of Queenscliff council, and was closely involved in preserving that borough from amalgamation within the City of Greater Geelong. In 1997, he received the Borough of Queenscliffe’s Australia Day Citizen of the Year award. In February 2001, Ian and Wendy moved to Dover in Tasmania, to a ‘second retirement’, on a much-loved rural property, surrounded by bushland and sea views, with an abundance of wildlife, in which they had great interest. Ian became involved with the affairs of local community associations. Ian is survived by his wife, Wendy, daughter, Peta, and his son and stepson.

Franklin Thomas BROWN (’31) was born at Rushworth on 25 January 1914, the son of a squatter. He attended Scotch briefly in 1928. Franklin lived at Colbinabbin, Victoria, and died on 3 February 2007.

Denzil Frederick James BULLOCK (’45) was born on 18 April 1927 and boarded at Scotch in McMeckan House from 1938–43. On 11 March 1954 he married Heather M Hood at Scotch. Denzil’s Hummerston grandsons followed him at Scotch: Andrew (Year 9), Cameron (Year 11) and Richard (2000–05). Denzil died on 17 November 2006.

Stuart Dallas CAMPBELL (’39) was born at Melbourne on 11 July 1921 and attended Scotch from 1937–39 as a boarder in School House. He was previously at Geelong College in term 1, 1932. Stuart’s father Colin attended Melbourne Grammar School (1892) and then Scotch (1893–97; died 13 February 1946), and Stuart’s son Charles (1957–67) became the third generation to attend Scotch. Stuart served in the AIF from 1941–46. He was a Private in the 2/21 Australian Infantry Battalion. Stuart lived in Western Australia, and died on 7 October 2006.

Dr Geoffrey Neil CHRISTENSEN (’39) was born at Surrey Hills on 7 November 1921, the son of a florist. Geoffrey attended Scotch from 1937–38, and he sent his son Trevor (1975–80; died 1 December 1991) to Scotch too. He obtained his PhD at Manchester University in 1953, and became Principal Research Scientist at the CSIRO. Geoffrey married Ruth Steele. He died on 26 November 2006.

Alan Volens Cartwright COOK (’32) was born at Moonee Ponds on 8 January 1916, the son of a public servant. He attended Scotch in 1932. He served in the RAN from 1943–46 and was a Lieutenant (SP) on the HMAS Lonsdale. In 1972 he was Assistant Secretary to the Transport Regulation Board of Victoria. Alan died on 20 February 2007.

Barrie Graham COOK (’48) was born on 30 June 1930 and left Brighton Grammar School (which he attended from 1937–41) to attend Scotch from 1942–46. Barrie was Form Captain of VE in 1943. On 20 September 1952 Barrie married Thelma R Lee at Scotch. Barrie’s brother John (1941–44) attended Scotch, as did his nephew John (1967–72), his Cook great-nephews Edward (Year 4) and James (Year 7), and his Lockwood great-nephews Duncan (Year 10), Thomas (1996–2004) and Hamish (1997–2005). Barrie lived at Sorrento, and died on 22 November 2006.

Richard Burnet CORNISH (Staff 1946–51)

Richard Burnet CORNISH (Staff 1946–51) was born on 26 April 1926 and came from the Education Department to teach in the Junior School from term 1, 1946 until the end of 1951, when he left to become Master in Charge of the Scots College Junior School at Warwick, Queensland. He went to Haileybury College in 1956 as Junior School master, and remained there until late 1970. During his time at Haileybury his main achievement was establishing its bush camp, Camp Pelican. He left to become Principal of what was then St Leonard’s Presbyterian Girls’ School. In 1972 he introduced co-education at the school, and in 1982 he introduced the International Baccalaureate. The Cornish Campus of St. Leonard’s College, which was opened on the Patterson River in 1987, was named in his honour. He had arranged the purchase of the land for the campus. His term as Principal ended in 1989. Richard died on 3 March 2007. A memorial service was held at St. Leonard’s College on 10 March 2007.

Howard William CUSWORTH (’42) was born at Brunswick on 15 October 1924, the son of a traveller. He attended Scotch from 1940–41. In World War II he served in the RAAF from 1942–46 and, interestingly, enlisted at Brunswick (the name of his birthplace), albeit in the United Kingdom. He was a Leading Aircraftman in the Records section of RAAF Headquarters. After the war he worked for various firms including the Vacuum Oil Company and Repco, as well as working part-time in his parents’ very successful milk bar. He later worked as a country traveller for women’s apparel companies. On 11 January 1950 he married Berice Florence Swift at Scotch. Howard died on 13 December 2006. The following obituary was supplied by Howard’s son Ross, on behalf of Howard’s widow:

Howard was the only child of Sam and Ethel Cusworth of Melbourne. He joined the Air Force, was trained as a pilot and sent to New Guinea in late 1943. However, most of his time during the war was spent doing clerical work, or was involved in the administration side of several allied airfields throughout New Guinea. On returning from the war he worked for a number of firms such as the Vacuum Oil Company and Repco, as well as some part-time work in his parent’s very successful milk bar. He later worked as a country traveller for women’s apparel companies.

With Berice he reared three boys – twins, Ross (a high school principal in Sydney), Peter (a construction project manager in Santiago, USA) and David, who is retired and living in Kooralbyn, Queensland. Howard moved to Sydney with his young family for work reasons in 1960, and he and Berice moved to the Gold Coast in 1973 where they semi-retired and lived happily till his passing.

Howard will be remembered for being a great family man, a teller of a good story, a practical joker as well as a decent and ethical human being. He made a commitment in his later life to Christianity, where he served in various roles in his local church. Howard’s active life was curtailed after a stroke in 1994 that gradually took an increasing toll on his health. Howard is survived by his wife, Berice, his three sons, seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Arthur Robert DICK (’36) was born at Murrumbeena on 21 January 1921, the son of a master butcher, and attended Scotch from 1934–36. He served in the RAAF from 1941–45 and was a Flight Lieutenant in ACAC. He became General Manager of Bradman’s Stores. Arthur’s son Rohan (1956–63) followed him at Scotch. Arthur lived at Allambie Heights, New South Wales, and died on 12 March 2007.

Kenneth Douglas DOIG (’43) was born at Essendon on 6 December 1925 and attended Scotch from 1936–43. He was a member of the Junior School football team in 1938, and in 1943 was Form Captain of VIII Commercial, as well as being a member of the premiership 1943 1st XVIII. He served in the RAN from 1944–46 and was an Able Seaman on the Orwell. Ken married Phyllis E Radcliffe at Scotch on 12 April 1950. Ken’s brothers Ronald (1935–38) and Bruce (1932–34; died 14 February 1985) attended Scotch, as did his nephews Robert (1959–65) and Geoffrey (1958–61), and great-nephews Cameron (1986–91), Lachlan (1996–99) and Rohan (1989). Ken died on 29 December 2006.

Alan Keith EADIE EM (’35) was born at Richmond on 24 March 1918, the son of a garage proprietor. He attended Scotch from 1928–32 as a member of Monash House, and was involved in Scouts. Alan served in the AIF from 1940–44 and was at the siege of Tobruk. He was a Captain as well as a temporary Major, and was demobilised as a Lieutenant in the 7 Div ASC. He became a managing director, and was a Freemason, a member of the MCC, and was a supporter of Puffing Billy. He married Margaret. Alan’s first cousin once removed, Lloyd Goode (1927–30; died 8 December 1975) was also at Scotch. Alan died on 6 November 2006.

Warwick Oscar GRANOWSKI (’49) was born on 18 October 1930 and attended Scotch from 1937–50 as a member of Lawson-MacFarland House. He was a Form Captain, a cadet, and a Scout. He was a member of the 1949 1st VIII, and continued his rowing experience as a member of several Victorian King’s Cup crews. Warwick was an engineer and company director. He was a Councillor on the Victorian Chamber of Manufacturers, and was Chairman of its engineers’ section. He sent his son Warwick (1977–87) to Scotch. Warwick Sr died on 3 February 2007. The following obituary has been written by John King:

Warwick attended Scotch all his schooling days, commencing with Miss Miller in the classroom below Arthur Robinson House. In the 1940s Melbourne Grammar School produced Barry Humphries but during the same period Scotch College produced Warwick Granowski. His nickname ‘Wizzer’ emerged when it became apparent his behaviour had distinct similarities to a comic strip character of that era, ‘Wizzer’ – red hair, glasses, practical jokes and outrageous behaviour. Throughout his school years and later, he kept those that knew him laughing and constantly entertained.

Apart from his wit and ingenuity, Warwick will always be remembered for his rowing ability, culminating as a member of the 1949 Head of the River 1st VIII. His passion for rowing continued for many years after leaving School. In 1947 he was invited to join Mercantile Rowing Club and over the course of the next eight years he was in five Victorian King’s Cup crews, winning in 1952, 1953 and 1954, and coming second in 1951 and 1955. He was a quiet champion and humble about his own achievements. His support for the club continued long after his rowing days were over, as he assisted with preparation and provision of equipment.

Warwick had a lifelong interest in ‘gunpowder, treason and plot.’ He was fascinated by guns, and spent many happy hours in his immaculate home workshop where, using his fine skills as a designer and craftsman, he restored and constructed old and new hand guns and exquisite scale model steam engines.

Warwick graduated from RMIT with an Associate Diploma in Engineering in 1960, and not long after, following the death of his father, he took control of the family engineering business in Bayswater. Until his death he devoted his working life to the company and his profession, where he was held in the highest regard both nationally and internationally. His daughter Caitlin continues with the family business.

In 1966 Warwick married Julia Ross and began a close and devoted union that lasted until his death. At his funeral, John Rowe said: ‘He was a stubborn, determined, shy, humble, gentle, inventive, strong, competitive, gregarious, perceptive, intelligent man – although different elements could dominate on a given day, especially his unique sense of humour – a born prankster.’ The death of Warwick Oscar Granowski leaves those who knew and loved him with a smile and a chuckle and a host of wonderful memories.

Murray Bourchier HALL (’31)

Murray Bourchier HALL (’31) was born at Fish Creek, Victoria, on 20 July 1912, and attended Scotch from 1925–28. In 1929 he attended Scotch College in Perth, before returning to Scotch in 1930. Murray was a member of the 1930 Premiership 1st XVIII. He left in 1931. Murray lived at Kyneton, and died on 5 March 2007.

HOLDING, Sally – The Scotch Family was saddened by the death of Sally Holding, wife of commerce teacher and 1st XVIII coach Steve. Sally died on 16 April after a prolonged and courageous battle with cancer.

John Frederick KELLOCK (’33) was born on Boxing Day 1916, and boarded at Scotch from 1931–33. He married April Whitef at Scotch on 9 April 1941. He served in the AIF from 1942–46 and was a Captain in the 17 Australian Infantry Brigade HQ. In 1970 he was general manager of the Ricegrowers’ Co-Operative Mills Ltd. at Leeton, NSW. John’s son David (1964–69) also attended Scotch. John died at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney on 13 December 2006.

Gordon McIver LAING (’42) was born at Hawthorn on 8 February 1927, the son of a stockbroker. He attended Scotch from 1933–42. Also at Scotch were Gordon’s brother John (1926–37; killed in action in World War II at Bardia on 3 January 1941), cousins Alec (1933–40) and Bruce (1934–43), his father John (1904–11; died 24 July 1967) and uncle Bruce (1904–06 and Scotch Bursar 1948–53; died 21 January 1958). Gordon raced motorcycles on the Grand Prix circuit in Europe. Scotch has recently learned that while racing in the Belgium Grand Prix at Spa on 4 July 1954, Gordon crashed and was killed.

Hayden Grovenor LAMB (’94) was born at Melbourne on 30 December 1976. He left Carey Baptist Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1989–94 as a member of Gilray House. While at Scotch he played squash and winter tennis, and was involved in Sea Scouts. Also at Scotch were his brother Murray (1991–2003) and grandfather Murray Wood (1934–36; died 1985). His first cousin once removed was Andrew Peacock (1949–57). Hayden worked for Shell in the United Kingdom, and was snowboarding in the Swiss Alps when he was killed on 24 March 2007. More information will appear in the next edition of Great Scot.

John Leslie LAVETT (’43)

John Leslie LAVETT (’43) was born at Bondi, NSW, on 18 December 1926. His father was a staff organiser at the MLC Assurance Company, and John attended Sydney Grammar School before attending Scotch from 1939–44 as a member of MacFarland House. John was a member of the 1942 athletics team, was 1943 Form Captain of IX Science, a 1943 Collegian editorial committee member, a 1943 and 1944 member of the Ninth, was involved in the 1944 production of Richard III, was a 1944 choir member, and in 1944 was a Prefect and Editor of the Collegian. He was a member of the War Effort Committee, was on the Senior Assembly Executive Committee, the Literary Committee, was Dux in Divinity and English, and won numerous prizes including the I K Whittaker Prize for Music, and the Alexander Morrison and Moyle prizes for essays. He was Captain of Music from 1943–44. In 1953 he obtained his BA (Hons) at Sydney University.

John’s service to Scotch was taken to a higher level as an Australian diplomat. John served in the RAN from 1945–49 and was on its Emergency List from 1949–62. He was a Lieutenant on HMAS Penguin. He was involved in ANARE from 1947–49. Given his devotion to Scotch, it was preordained that John should choose Scotch for his marriage to Patricia Louise Scown on 3 August 1961, and send his sons James (1979–80), John (1975–80) and Thomas (1977–82) to his alma mater. John died on 22 October 2006 after a life of service to his nation, which had its genesis in his time at Scotch.

John McAlister LAWSON (’61) was born on 6 December 1944 and attended Scotch from 1954–62 as a member of Morrison House. He was a member of the 2nd Athletics team, was a Scout troop leader, and in 1962 was a Probationer. In 1967 he obtained his BSc (Hons) at Melbourne University, with an MEd following from the same institution in 1996. John was a state secondary school principal, including Thornbury High School (2001–03). On 25 August 1979 he married Wendy Alma Bull in Melbourne.

John’s was a very strong Scotch family, with its members including his brothers Peter (known as Harry, 1950–58; died 1 April 2005), Gerald (1957–65) and Richard (1961–69), Lawson cousins Ian (1947–50; died 2 March 2002) and James (1949–52), Watson cousins Malcolm (1960–70), Nigel (1956–65) and Harry (1958–67), and Murdoch cousins Hugh (1955–63), Harry (1952–58), Euan (1958–65) and Sandy (1951–57), father Robert (1924–25; died 31 July 1977), uncles Harry (1932–33; killed in action in an air operation over Scotland in World War II on 29 November 1941), Donald (1926–27; died 8 November 1982) and John (1919–20; died 12 June 1969), grandfather (and Victorian premier) Harry (1891; died 12 June 1952), and son Thomas (1997–2002) and nephews Robert (1980–85), Andrew (1977–79) and Timothy (1982–88). John died on 8 January 2007.

Ross Philip McDONALD (’36)

Ross Philip McDONALD (’36) was born at Hawthorn on 21 October 1920, the son of an indent agent. He attended Scotch from 1935–36. Ross was a member of the Scotch Orchestra in both years. Also at Scotch were his brother Donald (1937–43), Farlow uncles Spencer (1913–16; died 13 August 1989) and Monash (1914–17; died 1956), and grandfather, George Farlow (1880–81; died 5 July 1935). Ross served in the AIF from 1940–45 and was a Corporal in the 2/21 Australian Infantry Battalion. He was a prisoner of war during World War II. Ross died on 11 March 2007.

John Roy McFADYEN (’39) was born at East Melbourne on 28 September 1922, the son of an accountant. He attended Scotch from 1936–39 as a member of Morrison House. He was a member of the 2nd XVIII and the Scotch cadets. From 1942–43 he served in the AIF as a Private in the Melbourne University Rifles, and from 1943–46 he served in the RAAF, where he became a Warrant Officer in the 14 Aircraft Holding Unit. At Scotch on 21 April 1948 he married Patricia M Brine. John was a teacher, and taught at Swan Hill High School. In 1971 he obtained his BA from Melbourne University. He participated in lawn bowls, and was a member of the St Arnaud Country Club. John died on 9 February 2007.

Ian Heywood McKINNON (’39) was born at East Malvern on 18 September 1921, the son of an accountant. He attended Scotch from 1934–38 as a member of Morrison House. He served in the RAAF from 1941–45 and was a Flying Officer in the 1 Operational Training Unit. In 1948 he became an associate of the Australian Society of Accountants, and of the Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries. He became an FSIA in 1967. From 1970 he was on the Federal Council of the SIA. Ian was a partner in Administration at J B Were & Son. He married June. Ian’s brother Malcolm (1941–46; died 7 March 2006) was also at Scotch, and Ian entrusted his sons Peter (1962–68), Andrew (1965–70) and Douglas (1968–73) to Scotch’s care. He worked as a share and stockbroker. Ian died on 17 January 2007.

John Andrew McQUEEN (’42) was born at Manangatang, Victoria, on 27 June 1925, the son of a garage proprietor. He attended Scotch from 1939–41. From 1942–46 he served in the RAN, and was on the HMAS Lonsdale. John lived at Warneit, Victoria, and died on 14 March 2007.

John Rodney MITCHELL (’49) was born on 10 May 1931 and attended Scotch from 1940–50. He married Mary M Cattanach at Scotch on 15 January 1955. After obtaining his BA (Hons) at Melbourne University, he undertook theological studies at Ormond College, finishing them in 1969. Rod began his ministry in the South Shepparton parish. Rod’s brother Gerald (1940–47; died 7 February 2005) also attended Scotch. Rod died at Deniliquin Hospital, New South Wales, on 18 December 2006.

Neville Broughton NETTE (’54)

Neville Broughton NETTE (’54) was born at Bentleigh on 5 November 1936, the son of a public accountant. He attended Scotch from 1948–54 as a member of Monash House, of which he was Captain in 1954. He was a 1954 Probationer and Captain of the Tennis team. In 2003 he recalled that ‘the debate between my mother and father was Melbourne Grammar School or Scotch. My mother was a teacher and I think one of her teaching friends was at Scotch. As always, mother won the debate’. In 1957 he obtained his BCom at Melbourne University, and worked as a chairman and managing director. Neville performed National Service. He died on 12 January 2007 in Turkey due to a car accident.

Dr Barrie John MacLachlan ORME (’51) was born on 9 May 1934 and attended Scotch from 1947–51 as a member of Morrison House. He was a Pipe Major from 1949–51. In 1957 he obtained his MB BS at Melbourne University, and was a medical practitioner. He married Mary Tweeddale Bridge at Scotch on 21 September 1966, and their sons Ruari (1979–89), Fergus (1980–91) and Duncan (1975–86) followed Barrie at Scotch. Barrie also saw his Walker grandson, Robert (Year 8) attend Scotch. Another grandson, Rory Walker, commenced this year in Year 7. Barrie served on the Scotch Council as a nominee of the Presbyterian Church. Barrie died on 4 January 2007.

Max Lindsay PARRY (’51)

Max Lindsay PARRY (’51) was born at Camberwell on 30 September 1933, the son of a warehouse manager. He attended Scotch from 1948–51, and was a member of the 1st XI in 1951. Lindsay married Janice Anne Gilmour at Scotch on 14 September 1961, and his sons attended Scotch: Anthony (1977–80) and Chris (1981–88). Lindsay lived at Sorrento and died in Frankston Hospital on 15 January 2007. Brian Hawdon (’52) submitted the following obituary:

Max was educated at Canterbury State School before attending Scotch. A very cunning and clever spin bowler and prolific wicket taker for the 1st XI in 1951, he won the H I Cohen Trophy as the best all-rounder in 1951. When the Governor’s XI played Scotch at School, Max bowled then Governor Sir Dallas Brooks for a second ball duck. Nobody appealed. Max went on to represent the MCC for several seasons.

A member of the MCC, Kingston Heath Golf Club and Hawthorn Football Club, Max followed and loved all sports. A devoted, staunch and one-eyed Hawthorn supporter, Max married on the second last Thursday in September in the year that Hawthorn won its first premiership. On the great day itself, Max and Jan were honeymooning on Lord Howe Island. Max worked with BHP, Ansell Rubber and then formed Parry Steel, his own successful business. Running this firm necessitated much global travel. Max retired earlier than most, but was always a dapper dresser, and properly attired for the occasion. He loved old films and old hit songs. He is survived by Jan, who was a wonderful support for him during his lengthy illness, his two sons, and four grandchildren.

Malcolm McGregor PATERSON (’56) was born on 14 August 1938, and left Ivanhoe Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1950–54. He was a Scotch cadet. Malcolm became a loss assessor, and on 26 March 1960 he married Ann Robinson at Scotch. His sons Scott (1979–84) and Greg (1978–83) attended Scotch, as do Malcolm’s Sloane grandsons, Harrison (Year 9) and Justin (Year 12). Malcolm died suddenly and tragically at Greensborough on 11 November 2006.

James Bruce PETTIGREW (’35) was born at East St. Kilda on 19 October 1918, the son of a warehouseman. Bruce left Camberwell Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1932–34 as a member of Gardiner House. He was a Scout at Scotch. In 1941 he married Grace Marion Cottell. He served in the AIF from 1942–46 and was a Sergeant in the AMF Pool AES Headquarters. Bruce obtained his Diploma of Industrial Accounting at Melbourne Technical College. He worked for the Shell Oil Company and was a company secretary. Bruce was a past president of an RSL sub-branch, member of a lawn bowls club, past chairman of a high school parents’ association, and a member of Probus. Bruce’s brother John (1934–37) also attended Scotch, as had their father Ron (1905; died 22 June 1963). Bruce died on 11 February 2007.

Roy Riggall PRENTICE (’24)

Roy Riggall PRENTICE (’24) was born at Heyfield on 20 June 1906, the son of the vicar of All Saints, Kooyong. As Roy lived in Callantina Road, the opening of the Scotch Junior School in Hawthorn in 1916 was fortuitous. Roy was the fourth boy entered on the roll of the new school, on 2 February 1916. The School was conducted in William Henderson Glen’s former castle-like Victorian mansion, which was unfortunately lost to Scotch with its demolition in 1942. In 2005 Roy recalled classes being held there in a former upstairs bedroom, and he remained there even after the building of the new Junior School. He recalled kicking a footy with boys near the front gate, wearing ‘a very red jumper, with a red cap, and grey shorts’, and said that the boys were not permitted to stray from the Hill.

Roy made good friends at Scotch, and was very unhappy about having to leave at the end of 1918 to attend Melbourne Grammar School. His father was entitled to a discount at Melbourne Grammar, and Roy’s brother Syd (1916–18; died 9 May 2002) left with him. Roy attended Melbourne Grammar until 1923, and later played for the Old Melburnians’ Hockey Club. On 14 October 1938 he married Nancy Wheatley Ashworth in Melbourne Grammar’s Chapel of St Peter. Her father John (1888; died 16 February 1964) attended Scotch, and her uncle Henry was one of the architects of the Flinders Street Station.

Roy’s uncle Samuel Riggall (1893; died 1 August 1951) also attended Scotch. Roy’s son Dr Andrew Prentice attended Melbourne Grammar School (OM 1961) and became a NASA scientist, and their daughters were Hilary and Eleanor (Mrs Langford). In 1946 he joined the Victorian public service as an architect. More than most Scotch boys, Roy left his mark on Melbourne, changing its skyline with his high-rise Housing Commission buildings. Roy and Nance travelled extensively in their retirement, and their marriage lasted for over 60 years, ending only with Nance’s death on 17 July 2005. Roy survived her, and celebrated his 100th birthday, making him one of only 11 Old Scotch Collegians known to have reached the ‘ton’, and one of five living at the time of his birthday. Roy’s death on 14 December 2006 ended a life of service to his state and country. His son provided the following obituary:

Roy celebrated his 100th birthday on 20 June 2006, as reported in Great Scot, issue 118. At the time, he was the fourth-oldest living Scotch Old Boy. In 1924, Roy enrolled for the Diploma of Architecture at the University of Melbourne and started work in the city as an articled pupil of the renowned architect Louis R Williams. Roy started up his own private practice in 1933 and that later year became the second person to complete the University’s new Bachelor of Architecture degree.

In the 1930s Roy specialised in designs for local schools and churches. The most notable of these was the brick and bluestone church of St Jude’s, Carlton. Roy also designed street illuminations for the Melbourne centenary celebrations in 1934. In World War II he enlisted with the RAAF and served from 1942 to 1946, with the rank of Flight Lieutenant. He was responsible for the design and siting of buildings associated with radar stations along the Australian coast. He was promoted to the rank of Flight Lieutenant and was awarded two silver service medals. After the war, Roy returned to private practice before being appointed as Chief Architect of the Housing Commission of Victoria in 1958. He held this position until his retirement in 1971. His greatest achievement with the Housing Commission was the design and construction of Park Towers, a 30-storey public housing building officially opened in October 1969 and today still highly sought after as public accommodation.

Roy’s Christian marriage to Nance Ashworth lasted for two-thirds of a century until Nance’s death. They had three children and four grandchildren. It is fitting that the ashes of Roy and Nance are interred next to each other in the Garden of Remembrance of All Saints Church, Kooyong, opposite Scotch in Glenferrie Road. It was at that church that they first met each other in 1916 when All Saints was opened, and Roy’s father, the Rev. William T Prentice, became the first vicar. Roy’s family thanks the Scotch community for the warmth that was extended when he became a centenarian and the sympathy that was shown at his passing.

Bernard George RETALLICK (’49) was born at Warracknabeal on 22 December 1932, the son of a newsagent, and boarded at Scotch in Arthur Robinson House from 1946–49. Bernard died on 3 March 2007.

Simon Douglas RIGHETTI (’99) was born on 20 March 1982 and entered Scotch in 1988. His time at Scotch left many people with vivid memories of a very free-spirited boy. Simon left Scotch in 1994 to attend Melbourne Grammar School, where he captained the Year 7A cricket team. In 1997 he attended Geelong Grammar School’s Timbertop campus. Simon was the son of Old Melburnian Michael (MGS 1963–67), and was part of a well-known Melbourne Grammar family. His brother Ben was also at MGS (1990–98). Simon died tragically on 7 March 2007, aged only 24.

Douglas Gordon ROBERTSON (’42) was born at Gundagai, NSW, on 9 November 1924, the son of Old Boy Dr Gordon Ochiltree Robertson. Doug left Camberwell Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1935–42 as a member of Gardiner House, of which he was Captain in terms 2 and 3 of 1942. As both a day boy and a boarder, he was also in Littlejohn and School houses. Doug was 1940 Form Captain of VIIA, a member of the 1940 1st XVIII, and a member of the premiership 1st XI and 1st XVIIIs of 1942. In 1942 he was a Probationer. From 1943–45 he served in the RAN. He was a Sub Lieutenant on the HMAS Lonsdale. Doug went on the land as a pastoralist and farmer. He married Elizabeth Laidlaw, and in 1953 they had twins – a boy and a girl.

Doug hailed from a large Scotch family with a strong sporting pedigree. At Scotch were his brother Francis (1935–43; died 16 February 1987), cousins Peter (1933–38; died 11 December 1997), Jim (1928–35) and Geoffrey (1933–40; died 16 October 1991), father Dr Gordon (1905–11; died 6 October 1950), uncles James (1902–07; died 5 November 1955), Francis (1902–08; died 26 May 1946) and Geoffrey (1905–13; died of wounds in World War I on 13 August 1916), grandfather Francis (1876; died 11 October 1937), great uncles Thomas (1874–76; died 22 April 1926), John (1874–78; died 20 September 1929) and James (1874–78; died 1 September 1923), and second cousin Ian Morrison (1940–42). Doug sent his son Doug (1966–71) to Scotch, and saw his grandson James (1996–2006) attend too. Doug died on 22 November 2006.

Murdoch John (Jack) ROSS OAM (’32)

Murdoch John (Jack) ROSS OAM (’32) was born at Heathcote on 8 January 1916, the son of a grazier, and boarded at Scotch in School House from 1929–30. He joined the AIF in 1940, and in that year transferred to the RAAF, which he served until 1946. He was a Corporal in the 1 Personnel Department. In 1994 Jack was awarded the OAM for services to local government, and specifically to the Shire of McIvor. His brother George (1932; died 11 December 2003) also attended Scotch. Jack spent his last years in the Heathcote Hospital Hostel, and suffered from dementia. He died on 16 December 2006. His son, Ian Ross, wrote the following obituary:

Jack went to North Redesdale State School and completed eight grades in five years. He was then at Scotch for two years, achieving Intermediate Certificate (Year 10). He later worked on the farm with his brother George, and Archie Dempster until the war broke out, when he and George joined the 38th Battalion AIF in September 1940. He later joined the RAAF and trained as an engine fitter and worked at Point Cook air base for most of the war, with brief stints in Sydney, Richmond, Deniliquin and Flinders Island.

Early in the war he went to a dance in Kyneton where he met Joan Esmae Hall, and they both fell very much in love. They were married on 23 November 1940 at St Paul’s Anglican Church, Kyneton. In the 1950s Jack and George embarked on reclamation of the badly eroded and degraded sedimentary hills that comprised most of the farm. They were pioneers and innovators – transforming the farm to increase stocking rates up to threefold.

Jack was a lifelong member of the Mia Mia Presbyterian and then Uniting Church. He was secretary–treasurer of the Mia Mia Parish from 1946–1977 and then treasurer of the Mia Mia Kyneton Parish from 1977–1988. He was an elder of the church for many years. He was a man of strong Christian faith and principles, and he lived by them all his life.

In August 1946 Jack nominated for the McIvor Shire Council and went in unopposed. He retired in 1991 after 45 years, serving four terms as President. Jack was a member of the Executive of the Victorian Farmers’ Union pastoral division. He joined the Mia Mia Rural Fire Brigade in 1931, serving as lieutenant 1955–1968 and captain from 1968–1985, and he was awarded the National Medal for service in 1986. He was secretary/treasurer of the Mia Mia Hall committee from 1935–1987, except for the war years – about 46 years of service. One of his proudest moments came in 1993 at Government House when he received his OAM for services to the community.

Jack was Mia Mia Rifle Club champion 23 times and competed successfully at the highest level for many years. Jack started playing cricket with Mia Mia in 1933. He was awarded life membership of the club during the 1980s. Jack joined the Sorrento Sailing Club and sailed and raced in various boats. He also helped start up the Heathcote Yacht Club. Jack was also a member of the Redesdale Golf Club and the Mia Mia Tennis Club. One of Jack’s greatest interests was local history. He recorded the family trees of most of the older families in Mia Mia, Deninal and some further afield, plus any families that were related to us.

Jack always had a fascination for the Riverina and in 1972 we bought the Booligal property. Jack loved it up there, and went as often as possible. We had some memorable cattle musters before the place was fenced properly, especially in the big floods. In the last years of Jack’s active life he did all the bookwork, which he loved, and tinkered on two different bulldozers.

Jack spent the last six years of his life at the Heathcote Hostel, where the wonderful staff cared for him in the best possible way. About three years ago, Joan joined him until she passed away in February 2006. In November 2005 they had celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary, and received congratulation letters from the Queen, Prime Minister and other notables. Theirs was a long and successful partnership and their feelings for each other never changed. Jack led an extraordinarily full life, and I feel extremely privileged to have had such a father.

George Maxwell SALTHOUSE (’34)

George Maxwell SALTHOUSE (’34) was born at Hawthorn on 20 October 1916 and attended Scotch from 1931–33. A 1933 Dramatic Society member, Max was involved in A Damsel in Distress. He served in the AIF from 1940–45 and became a Captain in the 2/31 Australian Port Operation Company AATC. He married Elizabeth Verna (Peg) Rodda at Scotch on 12 November 1942, and he worked as a banker. As well as his brother Alfred (1938–41; died 23 April 1996), Max’s cousins Peter (1945–48) and Robert (1941–44) attended Scotch, as did his nephew Chris (1965–70). Max lived at the Meadowvale Retirement Village in Pakenham, and died on 26 November 2006. Scotch has been provided with the following obituary:

Max began his schooling at Winchelsea. Later, his father became a health inspector and the family moved to Portland where Max continued his education and later completed his school days at Scotch College.

Max’s first job was with the old Union Bank where he commenced work in April 1934. He was there until World War II broke out, and Max joined up and went to the Middle East. On his return from Palestine and Syria he married Peg Rodda in 1942. He also transferred into another unit in charge of 30 soldiers loading and unloading on the docks. This unit moved to many places, including Darwin and Lae. After discharge, having spent five and a half years in the army, he went back to the bank, working in Melbourne and then in Geelong.

In 1976 Max had been working at Head Office in Adelaide when they merged with the ES&A Bank, and he would have been required to move to Melbourne or Sydney. As he was 60 years of age at the time, he was able to retire. Max and Peg returned to Geelong to enjoy their retirement. Max’s hobbies and interests were woodwork, golf and fishing. He was very interested and involved in Legacy, having been a member for over 35 years. Sadly, after almost 60 years of marriage, Peg passed away, and Max moved into Meadowvale Village on 18 December 2001. He stayed until October 2005, when he moved to O’Mara House Hostel in Traralgon.

Max will be missed by his friends and family – daughters Sue and Jane with Michael; granddaughter Luisa; grandson Alan with Karen, and great-grandsons Nathan and Jack; granddaughter Mandy with Adam and great-grandson Finn.


Roy SATCHWELL (’41) was born at Brunswick on 16 September 1924, the son of a financier. Roy attended Scotch in 1939, leaving in September 1939 to work at Myer. He served in the RAAF from 1942–46 and was a Leading Aircraftman in Air Force Headquarters. His twin brother Keith (1939–40; died 10 September 2006) also attended Scotch, as did their brothers Clifford (1934–35; killed in action over Wewak on 13 July 1944) and Noel (1932–34; died 17 October 2002), and Roy’s nephew Kim (1963–67; died 14 September 2004). Roy lived at Somers and died on 8 February 2007. The following obituary has been supplied:

The Satchwell boys will all be remembered for an infectious and sometimes wicked sense of humour, none more so than Roy. As youngsters they were all educated at Mont Albert Central School and later at Scotch. Roy married Kath Thomas in 1950, and they had three children, Andrew, Julie and Prue. In business, Roy was very highly regarded and respected for his integrity, compassion, and honesty. After the war he opened a delicatessen at the Mont Albert tram terminus. It wasn’t really his cup of tea, so he started his real-estate career collecting rents for Podmore Brothers in Richmond. Later he opened his own real-estate business in East Malvern and established another landmark office on the corner of Burke Road and Whitehorse Road in Deepdene. In 1980 Roy opened his first peninsula office with son Andrew at Balnarring Village, which has now expanded to a multi-office network.

After retiring to live at Somers, Roy was deeply involved with the Hastings Hospital, and establishing the palliative care unit at the Peninsula Hospice. He helped to set up the clubrooms for both the Balnarring Bowls and Social Club and the Senior Citizens’ Club. Although not a sailor, Roy enjoyed a long association with the Somers Yacht Club. He was chairman of the social committee for many years, and always conducted the younger set auctions with great vigour and much humour.

Roy died on 8 February after a long and courageous battle with failing health. His funeral was held at St Mark’s Anglican Church, Balnarring on 13 February. Family and friends later enjoyed a rousing farewell at the Somers Yacht Club, the day beautifully culminating at about 5pm when the dolphins swam past.

Rev. Charles Leigh SPEEDY (Staff 1949–50) was born on 13 September 1926. He was a Junior School teacher from 1949–50. He was Principal of Kingswood College from 1972–87, and was the driving force in the establishment of Billanook College in 1980, being chairman of its council. Leigh was married to Joyce for 56 years. He died on 29 January 2007.

Trevor Murray STEWART (’47) was born on 6 November 1929 and left Carey Baptist Grammar School to attend Scotch from 1940–45. Trevor died on Boxing Day 2006.

Paul Clymer STOTT (’41)

Paul Clymer STOTT (’41) was born at Hawthorn on 23 March 1923, the son of a Commercial Traveller, and attended Scotch in 1938. He served in the AIF from 1941–46 and was a Lance Corporal in the NGF Headquarters. Paul followed his father Eric (1910–?; died 13 June 1970) to Scotch, and his nephews Charles (1971–76) and Andrew (1969–74) also attended, as did his great nephews Samuel (Year 10), William (Year 12), Alexander (2000–05) and James (Year 9). Paul lived at St. Andrew’s Beach, Victoria, and died on 2 February 2007.

His widow Marnie wrote that Paul had a very happy time at Scotch, and particularly enjoyed rowing. He trained for WW2 service in Queensland under Brigadier Lemaire, and served in intelligence as an MP, with a pass that enabled him to be in any place at any time without explanation. Among his duties was driving generals around. Paul served in New Guinea. After the war he was transferred to Batman Avenue and worked in Psychology to assist returned soldiers adjust to civilian life. Paul became an exporter who was based in Flinders Lane, and finished working in Collins Street with an Industrial Real Estate Manager. He retired to Rye, where he became a valued member of the Rye Bowls Club, competing all over the Mornington Peninsula. In addition to his two daughters, who were christened at Scotch by the Rev. Alec Frazer, he had five grandchildren. Paul’s death at the age of 83 was the result of melanoma, which may have had its genesis in Paul’s war service in New Guinea.

Bertram Gardner TONKIN (’29)

Bertram Gardner TONKIN (’29), was born in Melbourne on 29th October 1912 and passed away peacefully in Box Hill Hospital on 28th March 2007.

He attended Scotch from 1925 to 1929. He played tennis in the Public Schools Championships which he won in 1928 and 1929; he played in the first XVIII and also played cricket. In 1927 (while still at school) he was invited to the Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club to join their A grade team. In 1929 he was invited to be coached at Kooyong Tennis Club.

On leaving school he commenced work at the sporting goods firm of Slazenger and pursued his love of tennis.

He played in the Linton Cup Team in 1929, 1930, 1931 and 1932. In 1932 he was viewed as one of Victoria’s most promising juniors and captained the Linton Cup Team in that year.

He was selected to the Victorian State team in 1931. In 1931 and 1932 he won the Australian Junior Doubles championship with J. Purcell. He played tennis for Victoria for 17 years and was in A grade pennant for 25 years.

In 1938 he married Margery Frazer.

He was honorary coach to the LTAV’s Lintou and Wilson Cup teams from 1954 to 1968. In 1961 he was manager of the Linton Cup team. He was a member of the Kooyong Tennis Club for 76 Years. In 1966 he turned professional and enjoyed many years in that arena. A newspaper comment, made during his playing career was, ‘He had an excellent match temperament.’

Bert commenced playing Badminton for Victoria in 1933 and represented Australia against New Zealand in 1938 and 1939. He was manager of the team to New Zealand in July 1949. He won the Victorian men’s doubles championship in 1934, 1935 and 1937 and the mixed doubles in 1939, 1940, 1941, 1946 and 1947. He won the Australian men’s doubles championship in 1948 and 1950, and the mixed doubles in 1948. In 1948 he was captain of the winning Victorian team.

In 1966 he was president of the Victorian and Australian Badminton Association. He was a life member of the Victorian Badminton Association.

During WWII he was a bombardier stationed in Western Australia. Later he went to New Guinea where he was a YMCA Welfare Officer. During this time he was joined by Colin Long for singles tennis on a ‘home made court’ and for doubles they were joined by T. O’Connor and Charlie Vickers-Willis; all state tennis players before they enlisted for the war. Bert’s solos and choir work were greatly appreciated by the troops, especially at Sunday Chapel Services.

When he retired to less strenuous sports he played lawn bowls including some time with OSCA Bowls. Bert is survived by his wife Margery after 69 happy years of marriage.

Harold Hastings TUPPEN (’32) was born at home at Preston on 27 February 1915, the son of a secretary, and attended Scotch from 1927–30 as a member of Gardiner house. He was a Scout at Scotch. With the exception of service in the AIF from 1942–44 as a Warrant Officer Class 2, Harold worked for the Angliss Meatworks from 1931–65. His uncle, William Angliss, owned the meatworks. In 1942 Harold married Dulcie Ida Norris. Harold’s brothers Arthur (1926–29) and Charles (1919–22; died 12 December 1990) attended Scotch, as did his nephew Kenneth (1955–57). Harold died on 14 December 2006. Keith Weymouth (’43) wrote the following obituary:

Harold was given the names ‘Harold’ after King Harold (1066), and ‘Hastings’ by his parents after the area of West Sussex from where they had migrated to Australia. He attended Clifton Grove Primary School, Preston, before entering Scotch. He took up an offer of employment with his uncle’s company, William Angliss & Co, where his skills developed in managing the livestock buying program, and he rose to become livestock manager. He retired from Angliss in 1965.

Harold enlisted in the Australian Supply Corps during World War II, but was rejected for overseas service on account of poor eyesight in one eye. He was discharged at the end of the war with the rank of Warrant Officer. Following retirement from Angliss, Harold was appointed to the Australian Meat Board, as Victorian State Representative, where he was greatly respected for his market intelligence, prediction skills, and assistance to the exporters in Victoria. It was in this field that I, as Middle East Representative for the Board, came to know and respect Harold for his devotion and selfless help to the export industry in Victoria. Harold developed great skills in several sports, commencing with cricket at Scotch, and later with District and Army teams, competitive tennis playing, and golf at the Woodlands Golf Club.

In later life, he had a great interest and skill in playing bridge. In 1942, he married Dulcie, and three children, Robert, Alison and Phillipa (who sadly died in infancy) were their family. When Dulcie died in 1994, Harold moved to live with the family of daughter, Alison at Mt Martha for 10 years, subsequently moving to aged-care facilities until his death.

Alfred WARLAND (’35) was born at Moonee Ponds on 10 February 1918 and attended Scotch from 1930–32. In 1942 he married Lalla Margaret Ransome. Alfred lived at Rye, and died on 27 February 2007.

Quintin Francis WATSON (’48) was born at Box Hill on 27 December 1931 and attended Scotch from 1945–48. His brother Spencer (1937–40) was also at Scotch. Quintin died on 12 February 2007.

Robert John WELLER (’51)

Robert John WELLER (’51) was born at Melbourne on 15 January 1935 and attended Scotch from 1948–52 as a member of Lawson-MacFarland House. He was a cadet and a member of the swimming team. Robert obtained his BCom at Melbourne University in 1956, and then joined his father in the family rea-estate business, A J Weller & Son, in Glenferrie Road, Malvern. Robert took over operation of the business after his father’s death and sold the business in the late 1980s. Robert’s brother Geoffrey (1949–55) attended Scotch, as did his son Michael (1980–85). Robert died on 29 December 2006. The following obituary has been supplied:

There was little Robert did not know about real estate in the Malvern–Armadale area, and he maintained his involvement in the industry until 2005 when serious illness prevented his continued involvement. Robert was devastated by the death of his wife, Marie, in 2000 and is survived by his son Michael and daughter Miffy.

James Campbell WESTCOTT MBE (’28)

James Campbell WESTCOTT MBE (’28) was born at Murtoa on 21 July 1912, the son of a builder and timber merchant. He attended Scotch from 1926–28 as a boarder in McMeckan House, and in 1928 he was a Boarding House Prefect. James was married to Bessie Meta Runciman on 19 June 1937. He was a forestry officer, and in 1975 was awarded the MBE in recognition of his services to conservation, fire protection, community affairs and the Forests Commission. James’ brother Ron (1929; died 3 September 1992) attended Scotch, as did their uncle James McCallum (1901; died 1957), Smith great-uncles Robert (1865) and John (1865), and his sons Geoffrey (1963–67) and Bruce (1959–61). James died on 16 November 2006. The following obituary was supplied by one of Jim’s sons:

As a young boy, Jim moved to Rupanyup, where his father was a builder and very successful businessman who built many of the civic buildings in Rupanyup and surrounding areas. Jim was sent to Scotch as a boarder aged 13 in 1926, and started in the equivalent of Year 10.

Jim, along with three other boarders, ‘borrowed’ a racing four from the boatsheds one weekend. Their prank came unstuck and they were caught when they found a body floating in the Yarra River. They reported it when they returned to the School’s boatsheds. Normally borrowing a boat in this fashion would have resulted in them being punished; however, in this instance they were let off because the masters thought they had suffered enough trauma. In addition they were each paid ten shillings – a small fortune in those days – for attending the morgue to help identification.

Jim won a scholarship to the Forestry School at Creswick from 1929 to 1931. Jim and another student were fossicking near Creswick and Jim found a 75-ounce nugget of gold. He and his colleague split the proceeds fifty-fifty, and some of this money enabled Jims’ brother Ron to attend Scotch for a year.

Jim became a forests officer with the Forests Commission, and was a career forester for over 43 years. This involved being proficient in an enormous range of jobs. He was first posted to Maryborough, then to Heathcote, Yarram and Erica. At Yarram he met the love of his life, Bessie, and they were married in Trentham. They moved from Trentham to Daylesford, Mansfield, Bruthen and finally Kallista for 18 years, where Jim retired in 1972. Jim and Bess then purchased a home in Boronia where they lived till moving into their own unit at Glengollan Retirement Village, and subsequent transfer to the hostel for the past 12 months. Jim maintained excellent health until the last three months when he had a fall and broke his hip.

In the late ’40s and into the ’50s, Jim, as the senior forester in charge of the Mansfield district, was heavily involved in a highly important road construction program. These roads were urgently needed to open up the forests to allow logging for timber to be used in housing and construction. Jim surveyed, designed and oversaw the construction of many miles of roads in the high country. He was also instrumental in the formation of the committee of management for the development of the Mount Buller ski resort.

While at Kallista he was heavily involved in community affairs, which included the rhododendron gardens at Olinda, the William Ricketts Sanctuary at Olinda and Olinda Golf Course, Kalorama Park, Sherbrooke Forest Advisory Committee, and as a board member of the William Angliss Hospital for 18 years. Jim gave unstinting time and effort to all the local fire brigades, the Puffing Billy Preservation Society and Belgrave Rotary. At Kallista, Jim realised that large areas of the Dandenongs should revert to public ownership, for better fire protection. Jim persuaded the local members of parliament and the Head Office of the Forests Commission to compulsorily acquire large tracts of land on the slopes of the Dandenongs.

After Jim retired he was awarded the MBE in 1975 as public recognition of his service to conservation, fire protection, community affairs and the Forests Commission. Jim’s work ethic and commitment to his community is best summed up by the headlines in the local newspaper when Jim retired: ‘Friendly forester calls it quits’.

Dr Stanley Percival WILLIAMS (’41) was born at Box Hill on 23 July 1925 and attended Scotch from 1936–41 as a member of Gardiner House. In 1937 he was a member of the Junior School cricket team, and he continued athletic pursuits as a member of the 1940 athletics team, and the 1940 and 1941 swimming teams. He served in the RAAF from 1944–45 and was a Leading Aircraftman in the 4 Central Reserve. In 1950 he obtained his BDSc at Melbourne University, and established a dental practice. He completed a post-graduate course in dental surgery in the UK in the early 1950s. For 18 years he practised in Box Hill, then at Mornington for 25 years while living at Red Hill and Mount Eliza.

Stan was a long-serving member of Rotary in Box Hill and Mornington, and helped Legacy in the Mount Eliza area. He played golf at the Peninsula and Flinders Golf Clubs and in 2005 could still do better than his age for 18 holes. On 12 September 1950 he married Alison G Walker at Scotch. Stan’s brother Keith (1936–40) also attended Scotch, as did his nephews Tim (1964–71), Richard (1968–76) and Michael (1961–70), and Speed nephews Geoff (1948–59) and Bryan (1952–62), and great-nephew Andrew Speed (1984–91). He was a regular attendee at the Old Scotch Collegians’ Association (OSCA) Annual Dinner, the OSCA Mornington Peninsula Dinner, and later at OSCA’s Glen Chapter dinners. Stan became unwell en route to New Zealand for a holiday, and died in New Zealand on 14 February 2007. He is survived by his wife, Alison, daughter Julia, sons Mark and Scott, and six grandchildren.

Ray Neville ZIMMER (’37) was born at Maryborough on 12 January 1920, the son of a tailor, and attended Scotch from 1934–35. He served in the AIF from 1940–46 and was a Bombardier in the 4 Australian Survey Battery. Ray died at Coolum Beach, Queensland, on 24 March 2007.

Obituaries in this and previous issues have been compiled by Paul Mishura (unless otherwise stated) from information held or obtained by Scotch College, or provided to Scotch, and content is limited to this information. Scotch depends on the completeness and accuracy of information it holds or is supplied, and while the School takes all reasonable care in compiling obituaries, it cannot take responsibility for any actual or perceived errors or omissions.

Eulogies, obituaries and any other biographical information are welcomed, and must include the exact date of death to permit publication. Space limitations may require submitted material to be edited. Information can be emailed to Paul Mishura at . Alternatively, please phone Astrida Cooper on 9810 4304 or send information to Great Scot, 1 Morrison Street, Hawthorn 3122.

Updated: Monday 24 June 2013